“A great ploace to stay!”
Review of Laguna Hills Lodge

Laguna Hills Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Totally remodeled and very reasonable. Quiet, close to I-5 and I-405. What a bargain!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed here for a few nights in August. Because I had no idea how long my business would keep me in California, I was looking for a place willing to negotiate a rate. Spoke with the manager, Martin, who agreed to take ten dollars off the room per night and put me in a room where I could stay "up to a week" if need be--at the same rate. So far, so good. On my second day there, Martin asked me to move to a different room. When I reminded him of what he promised me, he claimed he had never spoken to me before and that I was confusing him with someone else who worked there. Unbelievable.

I was forced to leave my business meeting, drive twenty miles back to the motel and move my belongings to another room. (Had I had the time, I would have left in search of more hospitable accommodations). On my third day there I was told by Martin that my rate was going to increase. Again, I reminded him of what he had promised me the first day and his response was (are you ready for this?), "Since I know you wanted a cheaper rate, I think you should just go and find another hotel." I literally couldn't believe my ears.

I have never been treated so rudely by any hotel or motel manger in all my life. He made a deal the first night and then broke it every day I was there. Obviously I did not stay there a fourth day.

BTW, they make a big deal of mentioning a "twenty-three item breakfast buffet". The buffet consists of toast, pastries, juice, fruit and cereal. Not that there's anything wrong with that--it's a perfectly serviceable continental-style breakfast. It's just that they "sell it" as if it's something exceptional.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank cobblestonerider
Laguna_Hills_Lodge, Owner/manager at Laguna Hills Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2009

We are, of course, very sorry that one of our guests has felt that he had a bad experience at the Lodge. Our family has owned and operated the Laguna Hills Lodge for 40 years and the average length of employment of our dedicated staff is 14 years.
We would like to clarify a few issues for our guest and anyone who reads this. Unfortunately, when this guest booked his room for one night with the request to stay an additional day or two as needed, our hotel was at nearly full occupancy. Because of that, we were able to accommodate him but could not guarantee a 3-night stay in the same room. As far as the price we quoted this guest, he was offered our lowest available rate. We invite this guest to contact us directly if he needs to discuss this further.
Lastly, this guest made an unpleasant comment about our “overstated” breakfast. We call our meal service an “extended continental breakfast” because besides the usual offerings we add hard-boiled eggs, a large variety of yogurts and fresh seasonal fruits, bakery items toasted to order, etc. We have never before received any complaints about our breakfast. Indeed, guests compliment us on this meal served in our very attractive Mariposa Room.

Reviewed September 8, 2009

I stayed here for 6 nights while in town for the Little League Regionals. It was a GREAT choice. Rooms were clean - service was great - breakfast was fine -and I loved having the hard boiled eggs also! Pool was great, nice shady areas. Even workout room was nice - overlooking the pool. Location was nice as it was right by the mall - definitly walking distance. I would choose this hotel again and again if I was in the area again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2009

We planned on going to Wild Rivers (about 60 miles from home) so decided to make an overnight trip. For the value, this place is great. Heated pool, continental breakfast, free parking, and location, location, location. We were 4 minutes from Wild Rivers in Irvine, about 15 minutes from San Clemente beach (where we spent the rest of the Labor Day weekend) & walking distance to every type of cuisine you could imagine all within a stone's throw from the Laguna Hills mall. However, since it was on a major thoroughfare, there were plenty of emergency vehicles careening through odd hours of the day & night. There's a quaint patio area on the 2nd floor of Bldg A which can be very inviting during the warm So Cal nights. The heated pool was even more inviting. The extra facilities were awesome (laundry, gym, etc). The bed was comfy, the room was adequate. The best part maybe the chair/ottoman set, very relaxing as you watched the free HBO channel. Would definitely stay here again....even though there is a disturbing notice on the wall as you go up the patio on the 2nd floor of Bldg A, it warns the patrons of the hazardous materials that may be in the building construction....at least they are honest. Definitely have to thank the Lodge for helping us find the best darn BBQ place in So Cal, Lucille's Smoke House on El Torro & Rockfileld in Lake Forest. Thanks Laguna Hills Lodge!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Stayed one night. New rooms, nice bedding, quiet room facing garden area, great business center for free, very good continental breakfast. We were suppose to stay two nights and cancelled at the last minute. There were no penalties. Very pleasant experience. Would not hesitate to go back again. Also quite reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2009

We have stayed at the Laguna Hills Lodge for years when we visit family in the area. Service is good, grounds are attractive, an extended continental breakfast is included, and the motel is across the street from a shopping center and good seafood restaurant (King's).

Rooms were recently redecorated and the pool is well-maintained.
A microwave and small refrigerator are in each room and free wi-fi is as well.

This is a solid value for someone who doesn't need to stay right on the beach at Laguna. It is reasonably priced for the area and well-run. The property is only a ten or fifteen minute drive from the Orange County Airport.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Rooms ok, nothing bad and nothing good.
Clean and relatively quiet.
Breakfast is fine, but by day 3 Denny's a much better option.
Most of the staff good (the two old ladies in reception are the exception) boy do you feel they are well past their best.
Close to plenty of eating & drinking locs and good choice of venues.
Lodge is trying hard in face of tough competition but rapidly lossing out to other local hotels (I have stopped staing at LHL and gone to Courtyrad)

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Laguna_Hills_Lodge, Marketing & Sales Manager at Laguna Hills Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2009

To UKMS,

Thank you for your review. I'd like to respond to your comment regarding "the two old ladies in reception {who are} well past their best." Perhaps these "old ladies" that you speak of were before my time here at the Lodge, but I feel I should speak on behalf of our Front Desk staff who are dedicated, friendly, and knowledgable regardless of their age or background.

In regards to your comment about "rapidly losing out to other local hotels," I am proud to say that the Lodge currently offers rates below our competition as well as unrivaled promotions. We find that guests and potential guests are extremely appreciative of the low rates and promotions during these tough times.

I hope this helps to clarify your concerns.

Thank you!

Ayres Hotel Laguna Woods
#1 of 1 in Laguna Woods
Homewood Suites by Hilton Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Mission Viejo

Been to Laguna Hills Lodge? Share your experiences!