“Very Nice”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Frisco, Texas
“Very Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I too was pleasantly surprised by this hotel.
Years ago living in Lake Forest and passing this hotel a million times, I never realized it was so
nice!
I checked in pretty late at night and wasn't quite sure of the surroundings, but it was fine!
The halls are a little outdated - but all in all, nice rooms and pretty scenery!
The continental breakfast and area were very nice!
Please remember to tip the little guy that makes your toast, etc.
Very nice people!
No problems and would stay there again...next time, hopefully longer!
Also, I say all this just coming from The Bellagio in Vegas for 3 nights before hand - what a comparison huh?!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Madeline55870

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Co Durham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

What a wonderful place! We think ourselves very lucky to have found it and hope to stay again.
The hotel's staff were very warm, welcoming & friendly, and our check in was very smooth. The garden areas are very pretty and well cared for.
The hotel has free wifi, free parking, a guest laundry and breakfast is included. You'll need quarters for the laundry, as the washer and dryer are a dollar each.
Our room, in block A, was very spacious and well appointed. The microwave, and particularly the fridge, were very much appreciated. We were close to an ice machine, again something which was very important to us. We didn't encounter much external noise, although we were facing over part of the car park.
Breakfast in the Mariposa room was absolutely lovely and there was plenty of choice, even for a fussy eater like me. There were 3 choices of cereal/muesli each for adults & kids, white & brown toast, bagels, pastries and muffins. There was coffee, apple juice & orange juice. Also milk, yogurts and fruit as well as plenty of choice in butter, margarine, spreads & jams etc.
We really enjoyed spending time around the pool area. The pool was heated and we were in it every day! The guest laundry is located beside the pool, and there's also a fitness room and saunas.
The only thing I could think of to improve the hotel would be it's own little bar!
Nearby, within walking distance, is a BJ's Brewhouse restaurant & bar, which was nice but we found it expensive, busy and quite noisy. Right next door is a branch of a shop called Total Wine, which we found great for ready mixed cocktails, beers etc, to keep in our room fridge. We also tried a fast food place called Chick-fil-a, not cheap but pretty good.
According to our satnav, the hotel is about 7 miles from lovely Laguna Beach and we also found it fairly quick & easy to travel to Huntington Beach, San Clemente, Dana Point & Newport Beach.
All in all, Laguna Hills Lodge was fantastic value and we're looking forward to our next stay.
Thank you to all the staff for helping to make our stay so wonderful.

2 Thank k44durham
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here one night while construction going on at home. What a pleasant surprise! I initially went over to Renaissance Club Hotel in Aliso Viejo, but, they wanted $259 for one night!!! Crazy.

I have driven by Laguna Hills Lodge a million times over the years, but never imagined it was such a quality place. I called and asked for a quiet room with King bed just 30 minutes prior to my arrival. The front desk people actually held the room for me, for which I am so grateful, as when I arrived another couple were wanting it. When does that ever happen that a hotel will actually honour your telephone reservation!?

Haven't done my thorough research on this establishment, but I do know that it is family run, and therefore the owners obviously take pride in their business. My room (#375) was quiet, spacious, extremely clean and comfortable, included refrigerator/small freezer, microwave and coffee station. One night including continental breakfast was a mere $90! There is a lovely pool which I never enjoyed, and, the front desk provides fresh baked cookies day and night from their oven in the lobby.

At first I worried that I would hear fire engine sirens all night, as my room was directly across the street from extremely busy Fire Station #22, but, I slept soundly all night without awakening! My surmise is that this structure is older and more solidly built than most hotels around.

The hotel is centrally located in Laguna Hills, literally one minute to the 5 & 405 freeway onramps and the Laguna Hills Mall across the street. All the staff were pleasant and helpful. The gentlemen in the breakfast room had the buffet style breakfast all ready at 7am when they opened. I took my tray to my room and it was no problem to return for a coffee refill. The housekeeping staff were very professional and helpful when I was locked out.

As a frequent traveler both nationally and internationally, I find it commonplace that housekeepers are usually disrespectful when it comes to making noise and talking loudly in the halls. Not so at Laguna Hills Lodge!

This little ranch style lodge is reminiscent of the 1950's motels and it is so immaculately maintained and upgraded. There is no gorgeous view, but, the small town feeling of "welcome", the cleanliness, the friendliness, the reasonable cost and the central location are exceptional.

I hope that my recommendation and information has been helpful to you!

Room Tip: I loved my room, #375. But, have confidence that the front desk will accommodate you.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank passion4travel296
Wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We changed our hotel to stay here after reading reviews and comments on Trip Advisor. We were very happy that we did. We had a ground floor room was great with all our suitcases. The room was a very good size, the coffee machine was appreciated. Enjoyed the breakfast, sufficient choice to suit us. The position of the hotel was ideal, easy to get to and once we came back after our day trips, we could easily walk to quite a few restaurants. The huge wine warehouse close by was well used also!
The swimming pool was very pleasant although rather noisy at times, but that is beyond the hotel's control. The laundry facilities were excellent, it was great to come home with all clean clothes. All the staff were friendly and helpful, couldn't have found a better place.

Room Tip: Ground floor room, garden view with 2 queen beds was worth paying for.
1 Thank WirralSandS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I had a very comfortable stay; convenient to freeway and stores. The breakfast was a plus. Cleanliness was in order, and a very helpful and professional staff.
I will definitely return... very happy to have stayed there. :)

• Stayed September 2013
Kincardine, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have stayed here a few times but have not wrote a review untl now. The location is great for Laguna beach just a 10 minute drive away, the shopping mall and restuarants are just across the street. The hotel just off the 5 freeway. The staff were very friendly. It is true rooms in block B does not have a elevator. I stayed for 2 nights and was just fine. I received the free cookies and discount vouchers which is a nice extra. The breakfast is good and you take the food to your room. The room comes with a mini frig. The king size bed is ok,. I wish the shower had more pressure.
I will stay again as the price is also good and the hotel is very close to my sister!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I've accidentally booked a trip for Monday thru Wednesday instead of Tues and Wed. I having reflected a "no show" for Monday... I've contacted Orbitz my mistake and situation, they were courteous enough to speak with the manager at the Laguna Hills Lodge himself in order for him to make an exception and fulfill the day I've missed. After much effort, Orbitz representative had told me that the manager said that unfortunately that could not be done using the excuse that there were No Vacancies available they were fully "booked".
- When I checked in, and young lady at the front was nice enough and remember my situation - she looked into the system and said that they had several openings at the hotel. So the manager lied saying that they were fully booked. She called the manager so I would speak with him and get the approval if I could stay an additional night to compensate the first night I did not stay. I've told him my situation and he said NO, he tried giving me another lame excuse and couldn't even look at me in the eyes while talking to me. His speech was slow, incoherent, and lame - I was annoyed. Since I knew nothing would come out of this, half way to his boring excuse I cut him off and said "Ok! Thanks!" and walked out of the Front Desk Office. An elderly woman at the front desk saw the gesture, laughed and giggled with the staff in my presence. Quite unprofessional, thankfully I'm not the sensitive kind - if this were other guests I'm sure they would have been very bothered.
- Next morning I went to the front desk to ask where they were serving the breakfast. The manager was there. I guess here remembered me and already seemed unfriendly. Asked him the question, he responded my question with a question "Where is your room number?" I felt being questioned if I were staying there. After I answered he said just go around it's there. I seemed confused since there are different lots to the hotel, there are many buildings. So I said where around exactly? An employee was there and noticed the friction; he stepped in and was nice to offer me to walk me there.
- Last, I've called and asked if I could get an extension, he answered the phone and again said we could only give you an extension till 11:30am! 30 minutes?! Really? Finally, I got frustrated with his negative personality and said I've had enough. I've been at other hotels that have been nice enough to extend it till 1pm. I've told him I would speak with the actual OWNER of the hotel; he seemed oblivious and careless as if he's never put in his place before.
The manager seemed annoyed at me. Just because most of his staff are Hispanic people that work under his authority, and he thinks that any guests of Latin or Hispanic origin will be treated like slaves as well. He is wrong.
Really unaccommodating and unprofessional. Also the rooms smelled like mold!

PS - it is the Front Desk staff (manager) who were inpolite and unaccommodating. The staff at the hotel were actually nice people.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Adarab
Laguna_Hills_Lodge, General Manager at Laguna Hills Lodge, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding your “no show”, yes, you were charged. We did have the opportunity to sell your room type but did not because we held the room for you. We are happy to have been able to accommodate you on your request to extend your stay.

We have a very multicultural staff including several managers.

We checked your room for a "mold" odor and found none. Guests who stayed in your room, before and after your stay, have provided us very positive reviews.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laguna Hills
Crescent Bay Inn
Crescent Bay Inn
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Fairfield Inn Mission Viejo Orange County

Been to Laguna Hills Lodge? Share your experiences!