“Poor Mexican Outing!”

Dining options: Reservations
Western Hemisphere
“Poor Mexican Outing!”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

This place is a poor example of mexican cuisine. We ate there and not one of the many dishes (there were 4 in our party) was enjoyed. Not even the salsa that they put with the chips when you first arrive. I believe they get away because they have absolutely no pressure to try harder. They have the senior crowd pretty much signed in. The huge Leisure World crowd descends with no interruptions and fills their coffers with their economy. I tried their Albondigas soup which cost quite a bit for the size of the serving. The broth was water with some herbs, the meatballs an absolute disaster. Chimichanga, Tamale, Enchiladas, Beans, Rice, Carne Asada, the whole array of dishes was missing one essential aspect: Taste. Bland, uneventful fare, made me wonder how the so called cooks in the kitchen can sleep with no guilt. This place is at the bottom of the many bad mexican places in southern california. I guess traffic of people is so good they have lost the eye of the tiger, the desire to be the very best and it shows, very badly. Yet, they charge a pretty penny for the mediocre dishes they serve. Service is adequate, nothing to distinguish them from the better places. Don Jose is a mexican joke and anyone who spends their hard earned money and expected value for that investment is heading for a serious disappointment. At the end of the meal I was so angry at the series of bad dishes but still, like the nice person that I am, I paid the 15% tip and vowed never to return. Why would anyone, unless is right around the corner and my taste buds were totally numb, walk into Don Jose? Yet, business is booming which may be the real reason why so many restaurants coast along nicely without a need to impress no one. I am almost sure that the so called Chef does not eat this food and if he does, he is not a chef but a nickel and dime wannabe cook. I am sure the ingredients are the same so what's the problem? No culinary skills to pay the bills! 2 Stars for Don Jose in Avenida De La Carlota, Laguna Hills, CA.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank Luke17

Los Angeles
“Large portions, medium prices.”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Recommended by the staff at Laguna Hills Lodge as it was walking distance from the hotel and they offered a 15%-off coupon. At 5 pm on a Tuesday the place was packed! Many older people and many families. Good quality Mexican fare, and enough left over to take with us that made for breakfast the next day. I discovered that there's a 15% discount for seniors, also, so that might account for the seniors crowd in the early evening. All in all, a good value.

• Visited August 2011