“Small restaurant with large selection of well prepared traditional Southern Style Italian”
Review of Polina's Salerno

Polina's Salerno
Ranked #101 of 168 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed January 21, 2012

The dining room is somewhat small and cramped, but we ate there with some friends when there was a large party (20 people) occupying the entire middle of the dining room. I thought the food was really quite good Southern Style Italian. Four of us really enjoyed our meals.

• Visited January 2012

Laguna Beach, California
“Extremely mediocre, not worth a visit when there's so much else to choose from in Laguna”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The atmosphere is cozy and the service is ok. But the food was so mediocre. It wasn't send-it-back, I-can't-eat this, but with so many other restaurant choices in Laguna Beach, I would not go here again.

We had the puttanesca and cheese tortellini with meat sauce. My pasta was literally swimming in sauce, which I normally don't mind. But there was so little pasta to sauce ratio. And, the pasta was overcooked. The tortellini tasted like it came straight off the dried pasta shelf of Alberson's with a completely unmemorable sauce.

The service was pretty good though. When I asked whether the gnocchi was house made, the server made the effort of checking with the kitchen rather than assuming it was. Turns out, it was not. She said the gnocchi is made fresh daily and delivered to the restaurant. While I suspect that is the case with all the stuffed pasta (i.e. tortellini, ravioli), the tortellini definitely did not taste like it was made fresh daily.

I really wish it could be a cozy, little go-to Italian place, it wasn't even close.

• Visited November 2011
San Diego, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth trying”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I recently went to this restaurant after finding it on TripAdvisor with good reviews. I was super excited for a romantic dinner in a cool, casual Italian place. The restaurant was very cute and quaint but the food was WAY overpriced. I got the chicken parm which was ok but nothing spectacular and certainly not worth $20. I could have gotten twice as good food for the same price at Buca Di Beppo. The butter was hard and the bread was a tad stale. The wait staff were really nice though but I would definitely not recommend just based on the food quality and value.

• Visited December 2010
San Francisco, California
“Just Great!”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Simple! Great fare! So Italian! Sexy! Fun! Intimate!

1 Thank IFLYMAUI
La Crescenta, California
“Really good Italian food in a family owned restaurant”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

It is my favorite Italian restaurant in Laguan Beach. I liked the linguini in white clam sauce best, but the veal piccata and chicken pramigiana are also excellent. This not a pretentious place and you feel very comfortable there.