“Lovely pool area - good location - comfortable room”

Holiday Inn Laguna Beach
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Santa Cruz, California
“Lovely pool area - good location - comfortable room”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Our daughter is living in Orange for a few months so this is our second stay in Laguna within the last 6 weeks. We love Laguna!!! The first time we stayed at the Inn at Laguna Beach - loved the location right near Main Beach. But for this last trip rates much higher there and when we walked by the hotel, saw that their pool area was under full reconstruction. We were very happy with the Holiday Inn for this trip. It is further south but we could still walk to our favorite dinner spot, Nick's and Ralphs grocery store is right across the street. The front desk staff was very very helpful and nice. We were in room #17 - it was spacious - especially the bathroom counter area was great. We especially liked the pool area. It was very lush and pretty. They did offer free wi-fi. Parking was $10 and plentiful. Too bad they don't offer a continental breakfast but they did have popcorn and drinks in the lobby. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LoveToTravel524

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 30, 2012

If you set your expectations that you are in Laguna Beach, across from the ocean, and that you won't be in your room often, then this is a perfect hotel for you. Our team was on business and opted for the Holiday Inn Express in Laguna Beach because of its location and price. We looked at other (off brand) hotels in the area and the reviews looks bad on tripadvisor.com. We were really happy that the beds were comfortable and everything was walking distance away. Check in was fast and the hotel was in good shape. This is not a $300-$400 level place, so set your expectations right. It's a fun hotel that is perfect for business, solo, or group of friends.

Room Tip: None of the rooms have a view outside, but almost all have a view of the courtyard and pool (Think M...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ohiocouple
Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

Just wanted to say we had a lovely stay here. The front desk was so helpful and really friendly. Great staff. My kids loved the complimentary lemonade. I loved easy access to bottled water and coffee. The hotel is not large, but the lobby area is a really nice meeting place. I was happy every time I walked in the door. The flowers really make the hotel and it is nice to see that a small space can be so inviting. I will say the rooms are smallish but the excellent location outweighs this as a concern for me. We ran to the grocery store quite a few times so that was very handy. We could walk to great restaurants and the beach was just across the street. Good value all around.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Doubledaisy1
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed in suite, room 49. It was very roomy and comfortable. The bathroom is quite big, almost as big as the bedroom, with a step-up whirlpool tub/shower, but only one sink. The hotel is centered around a pool courtyard and the rooms can only be accessed through locked gates or staffed lobby. (the pool must be original to the hotel, as it is eight feetdeep, but in good shape with nice tiles.) The one very unfortunate aspect of our stay, was the knocking sound all night because even a slight breeze caused the gate right under our room, to rattle every few minutes. Otherwise the hotel is very solid and quiet. Some of the rooms have balconets on the outside of the building.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sands Point, NY
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Very nice hotel. A Holiday Inn with a bit of a boutique hotel feel. Nice rooms, comfortable bed. Only thing is the carpet is alittle dated.

Very good location, within walking distance to the beach, all the good restaurants and shopping destinations. There is also a supermarket across the street.

They also offer drinks and popcorn at the lobby for all the guests.

The front desk was very accomodating and friendly.
They even checked me in 6 hours before the standard check in time as we were extremely tired after an international flight which arrived at 6am. They also allowed us to check out late.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank boboli111
keeptrack, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laguna Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I normally tend to stray away from holiday inn and would prefer more boutique style places, but I was really happy with my stay here. The grounds were really nice and the Location is great. The staff was really friendly and helpful and next door is a super market for late night snacks. More importantly the beds were comfortable. I would come back.

• Stayed April 2012
Thank you for your comments. we appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Laguna Beach for ten days from March 19 to 29, 2012. I am Priority Club Platinum member and I decided to use my reward points for a California vacation, using this hotel as our home base. As others have said, you can't fault this hotel in terms of basic amenities, cleanliness and location. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, comfortable, reasonably priced hotel within walking distance of all that Laguna Beach has to offer.

My only beef with the hotel is that they refused to upgrade us to a suite even though I am a Platinum member. We were given a standard courtyard room on the second level, which was small and not suited to an extended stay. When I asked at the front desk about an upgrade, I was told that there were no suites availabe during our stay. I was surprised to hear this given that I had booked the hotel early in February, so I checked with their online reservation desk and found that suites were available during our stay. I can only assume that the hotel did not want to provide someone traveling on reward points with a suite. That's disappointing considering my loyalty to the Priority Club brand of hotels and I would advise others traveling on points to check in advance as to the hotel's policy in this matter.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Golfbuddy99
keeptrack, General Manager at Holiday Inn Laguna Beach, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Thank you for your comment. I just would like to clarify the priority club members benefit on room upgrades. As a member of priority club which is Holiday inns reward program, a platinum member gets a room upgrade if its available and that does not include any suites just the next level room up. Since we are a small property with only 4 suites, they sell out fast and if they are available, we don’t mind upgrading members but probably since the length of the stay was 10 days, we were sold out on some days so we could not upgrade.We do appreciate your business and we thank you for staying with us.