“Pure perfection 40 years in the making”
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
San Diego, California
“Pure perfection 40 years in the making”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My husband and I decided to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary at the Resort as we had done on our wedding night. Our stay, though short, was the perfect way to start our trip down memory lane. The location is stunning and as if sunset from our balcony wasn't enough, the sounds of the ocean right below, provided the perfect romantic soundtrack to our evening. Our room was elegantly appointed and spacious with breath taking views, but perhaps what was most memorable was the service. At check-in we were greeted so warmly and our anniversary acknowledged without prompting. The recommended dinner at Splashes and it truly is a must when you stay, offering great food and warm friendly experience. I also suggest you start off you're evening at the patio lounge, great atmosphere and my husband raved about the blood orange margarita. Perhaps my favorite touch was receiving the most delicious chocolate dipped strawberries and a truly thoughtful hand written note congratulating and welcoming us to the Resort. It's touches like this that really make a stay remarkable and show a loyal guest, that after 40 years we again made the perfect decision as to where to spend an incredibly special occasion.

1 Thank Carole E
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It is a true joy for us at Surf & Sand Resort to create special memories for our guests. We appreciate you choosing us to help celebrate such a joyous occasion, as your 40th Wedding Anniversary!

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

Surf & Sand Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
miami
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Check in and were taken to our room. There was an outdoor walk to the next building and the down a flight of stairs to our room which faced the ocean and the afternoon sun. The room had shutters that did not close all the way to block out the sun.

The room was hot so we looked for the A/C thermostat. There was none to be found and then called reception who told us that there was no A/C in the hotel.

Neither the web site nor my travel agent mentioned there was no A/C which I expected from experience with many 4 & 5 star hotels. I was told by the front desk that it was not listed in the list of amenities shown on the web site.

We cancelled our reservation and left.

If you can stay in an non air conditioned room this is really a nice place

3 Thank Miamijim
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

My sincere apologies that you were unable to experience a pleasant
stay at Surf & Sand. As our very valued guest, I appreciate your feedback
so that we are able to improve upon our services.

I understand your frustration in our lack of air conditioning. I am very
pleased to inform you we have been in the process of researching options to
include air conditioning for all of our guestrooms. As with
any project of this magnitude, it will be a lengthy process;

Please feel free to call me directly at 949-793-8054 for any future assistance.

Grosse Pointe, MI
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed 3 nights for a work trip. Brought my wife and 7 year old with me. The hotel is great. The location and views are phenomenal. We loved the area and were able to get to Disney one day. The drive wasn't too bad. I highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Tower room so that you are not directly above the pool. Ask for a high room as well. The surf is p...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at Surf & Sand Resort.

I was thrilled to hear you and your family enjoyed our property as well as our proximity to Disneyland!

We hope to see you again soon,

Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed three nights for a conference - so didn't have time to fully enjoy the amenities and the ambience.

When you think California, beaches, surfing and sunsets this place is the epitomy. The hotel sits directly on Pacific Coast Highway - but no rooms fact or back the road, so this is not an issue. You are a bit away from the main shopping area in Laguna Beach - but it is walkable.

Staff was very welcoming - from valets to the check-in folks. Lobby is minimalist to say the least. The room was very nice - furnished very much in a beach motifff,very nice. The king bed was comfortable, but not the latest or greatest pillow top you see in many hotels. My one complaint, the pillows were not very good - probably time to replace them. The bathroom was nice sized with a jetted tub. The seperate shower was very small - barely room to turn around.

Rooms all have nice balconies facing the ocean - great place to watch the sunset over Catalina. Now, the hotel sits on a surfing beach - what this means is they have real waves. Real waves mean that if you are on a lower floor (I was on 3) - the waves CRASHING can be quite loud. You have options - leave the door open to get the fresh air and enjoy the noise: leave the door open and use the provided earplugs: lastly shut the door and the sound is deadened substantially - your choice.

Our group had several of our meals and used the meeting facilities here - perfect place for a group of 100 or so. Service was outstanding, food was excellent. Can't ask for better. Very well done.

Bottom line - get new pillows and i'll give Surf & Sand a "5"!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor or room in Tower 1 if noise from the waves is going to be an issue.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mchud
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at Surf & Sand. I am pleased to hear your enjoyed our services, guestrooms and views.

I will have our Housekeeping Director address the pillow concerns immediately. Having a good night sleep for our guests is a top priority and will ensure all pillows are of the same quality.

We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to Laguna Beach.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

My husband and I took our 2 kids to this resort and this is by far the best place we have stayed at in California. Every single staff member makes you feel so welcome!

You are literally right on the beach and when you look down from your balcony all you see is sand.

If you are looking for an amazing place on the beach to stay this is it!

• Stayed February 2014
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next return!

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed February 19, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a lovely getaway overnight at the Surf & Sand Resort in January. We loved our room, which was directly over the sand and the ocean. We preferred the sound of the waves, but the hotel provides ear plugs for those who don't. We spent as much time as possible on the balcony taking in the restful and beautiful view, and also walked on the beach below, just steps away! The room was very comfortable and the amenities were also great. Only downside was that we were on a low floor and could hear the people on the beach below us who were there to surf and have fun. Nothing wrong with them, just more noise than I would have liked. Also, I realize that a room overlooking the ocean is a very special thing, but the price of the room will make it difficult for us to go back anytime soon. Too bad. Would love to go back as often as possible!

Room Tip: Higher floor have less people noise from the beach below.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed at Surf and Sand Resort from February 14 to 17, 2014. I booked the oceanfront room with Expedia since I did not see anything available on their website for the time I wanted. The hotel ended up being everything I wanted. I wanted to hear the ocean waves and we did. There is a nice short beach walk that starts right at the hotel. Room was cleaned in the morning and prepared for the night. Pool area was a nice place to hang out - bar, music. Staff was friendly and answered questions. Their "make your own breakfast burrito and pancakes" morning service was great. The only suggestion I would give is to hire few more waiters in the Splashes restaurant and in the Pacific Perk/Gift shop. We had to wait for service for a bit since no one was found at the Pacific Perk one morning. Restaurant's food is superb! The best lamb rack ever. Staff was good but thinly spread, our water glasses were never refilled, bread plates were not taken away before dinner came (I had to ask to have them removed), waiter came to ask how our dinner was by the end of the meal and not withing usual 2 minutes. Table was not wiped after dinner. Hope they improve because food is outstanding.

Room Tip: the ocean is loud and they have earplugs for those who prefer quiet but if you can't use those d...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
JCResortsMarketing, Online Specialist at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Nina,
Thank you for your review of Surf & Sand! We're so glad to hear that you had a fantastic stay, and we appreciate your feedback regarding service at Pacific Perk and Splashes Restaurant. I've shared your comments with our dining staff. We look forward to your next stay!