“Incredible!!!!”
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed 2 days at the luxury suite with a great view .I never experience best service in a while ..We received warm smiles and sincere greetings from everyone we came in contact with.Christmas dinner was delicious . Spa Experience amazing .very pleasant stay ! Thank you!

Room Tip: Best stay !!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank couture2014
There are newer reviews for Surf & Sand Resort

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have been going to Surf and Sand Resort for the past twenty years and it is our family's favorite place to vacation above any other. Laguna is a quaint community that offers everything that you are looking for, from fine dining to wonderful art galleries and pristine beaches. Surf and Sand in nestled in the heart of the Laguna beaches. All of their rooms have a ocean view. We prefer staying in the Tower rooms which offer a beachfront experience like no other. The waves are literally just outside your balcony and the waves lull you to sleep. The service at Surf and Sand is impeccable and the food is excellent. The Splashes Bar is a wonderful place to sit and have a relaxing cocktail, with the sand literally just steps away. Or relax poolside, where they also have a pool bar and poolside food service. Even if you want to relax on the beach, they have beach boys who will be happy to set you up with beach chairs, umbrellas and beach towels. This is an idealic place for families, but also can be very romantic. We are never disappointed and always come away feeling relaxed and rejuvenated. I can't say enough good things about Surf and Sand. Special thanks to PH and JB for always putting your customer's satisfaction first.

Room Tip: Pick the Tower rooms and try to avoid the 1st and 5th floors if you want the least amount of pedestr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

It is always a pleasure to hear such wonderful feedback from our loyal repeat guests!

I am thrilled that Surf & Sand Resort continues to creates special memories for you and we look forward to creating many more in the future!

Joanna Bear
Resort Manager

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have taken my family to the Surf & Sand on many occasions and each time we have had a spectacular time. The pool is awesome, the views are unbeatable, the beach access couldn't be better and bringing it all together is the consistently excellent service from making the reservations to arriving and during the stay - second to none!

Room Tip: For a family we love the connecting rooms in the tower. High floors are the best, but they are all...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Hopefully some of you guys get a chance to read my somewhat thorough review. I am proud to say I’ve had the privilege of visiting this resort ever since I was 6 years old. 25 years later, I find myself taking my children here now too. My most recent stay was this past weekend for our New Years holiday getaway. I must say, Surf and Sand’s pride in service, luxury and impeccable accommodations have never let us down.

Laguna Beach has been rated with some of the most beautiful beaches in the Pacific, over Hawaii’s beaches in fact and although there are a few other choices to say in Laguna, nothing comes close to Surf and Sand’s unique experience. The moment you open your door to your room, you are quickly greeted by them smell of fresh ocean breeze and the sound of crashing waves. There are not any places around here where your room is literally feet away from the ocean waves with rich golden sand. Yes, you are right there in the middle of it. You have a scenic walk on both ends of the beach and a famous Arch Beach to visit with interesting tide pools to explore. There is no 10 minute walk to the shore down the walk path pr across the street, nor large rocks between your resort and the ocean…the Surf and Sand is as good as your beachfront experience can get.

The staff seems to predict your every move. Everyone smiles and greets you as you pass and should there be anything extra we might need…this nice lady, Mrs. P.H. that works closely with the hotel General Manager always seems to help in every way she could and instantly makes it awesome. I love that no matter where you are, whether on the sand soaking in the sun, or on the pool deck enjoying a swim…the staff is just a call away from a refreshing drink or a fabulous lunch without ever having to leave your chair. The staff boys even help setup your beach chairs and umbrella wherever you’d like which are provided by the resort. An early morning poolside bloody mary or complimentary cup of coffee was just the medicine this past trip.

The crisp cool ocean breeze is the most perfect environment to wake up and surround your room. Should you get a little cold, all the rooms have a cozy heater aside from all the luxury linens each bed is provided. I keep wanting to ask the staff which model of mattress they use (I already tried taking off the sheets…there must have been 5 sheets & stopped-true luxury). Even though I live a couple beaches down the coast…somehow I find that I am always on my dream vacay miles from home from these little things they do. The walls are not thin, so if anything gets too loud, slide your balcony door and you’ll have no problem after that. The good thing is if there is a slight problem with your room, the front desk will move you without a minute extra of your time waisted. Luckily they give you complete control in requesting which tower you would like to stay in.

If you’re looking to stay put on this resort, then there is no reason why not. I can never stop dreaming of everything I have eaten at their Splashes restaurant every time I leave. Not to mention their food lounge upstairs or the beachfront bar. We enjoy having drinks and calamari at the bar for a quick bite. It feels like your almost having a beer on the sand because it is literally positioned at the very bottom with the best view in the resort. Even the restaurant feels like your floating over the water. The executive chef really must have done his homework because he really made an awesome prefixed menu this new years. I was sad because I didn’t have enough space for a toast of Champagne but I was surprised me made a little shot of Champaign with a spoon full of sorbet when dessert came. Make sure to order Pork Osso Bucco and Rack of Lamb so your mouth can water too.
I told the concierge if there was local interesting place to visit. I told her we wanted to dress up and not pay a cover charge and it seemed like she knew every place in town. She was right; they didn’t charge us a new years cover charge where we went (a walk away).

So bottom line, I couldn’t really find anything bad about this resort. The funny thing is, along with many friends I have brought here…they have not either had anything negative to say for the past 25 years too. They must be doing something right. If you enjoy a speedy personalized check in with bell and valet staff who literally sprint when moving, breathtaking rooms and views (better than the inferior Montage), a relaxing pool lounge and cabana area, flawless fine dining over the water, predicted customer service,a romantic with private and quiet experiences, the perfect California weather year around (75 mid winter!), staff that jump to all your requests, and a local beach and town that can leave you wanting more time there…then this is the place for you. If I feel like I am on a lavish vacation just 2 beaches away where I live(Huntington beach)…can you imagine how you will feel?

Room Tip: Every room seems to be spectacular. You will not be disappointed a I have stayed in every tower and...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was my wife and my first time t the Surf & Sand and we were thoroughly impressed! The room right on the water was great. The sounds of the waves crashing on the shore was like a symphony. I spent quite a bit of time on the balcony, event though it was cold and rainy outside.
The service from all the staff was exceptional.The room was very comfortable with all the amenities you could need. The food and drinks were very good...the view from the restaurant and bar is to die for. So nice for watching the sun set on the Pacific. We'll be back!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have stayed at Surf and Sand three times and each visit is better than the last. Aside from having a perfect location with breathtaking views, the accommodations, staff, spa and food are all amazing. Their employees are genuinely warm and friendly. Whatever we needed, they were always there to assist us with a smile. We ordered room service and ate in the restaurant, and each experience was perfect. We live in LA and will definitely return to Surf and Sand as soon as possible for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
JCResortsMarketing, Public Relations Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thank you for your review of Surf & Sand! We're so thrilled to hear that you've enjoyed all three of your stays with us. Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Believe it or not, all the reviews are accurate...

The good, since it am an optimist. We made reservations for New Years Eve for our family (my husband and I plus 2 teenagers) at the last minute. Hats off to whomever I spoke with on the phone. She was so incredibly knowledgeable and helpful! It was a long complicated call because of what we were looking for, and the customer service was outstanding!!

The hotel has had some major renovations. From the curbside, it almost looks like a nice motel. When we pulled up to the valet only parking (beachside, no parking to ever be found anywhere, ever!), they were nice without being pretentious. The indoor lobby is tiny but lovely. The outdoor lobby is truly lovely...many small sitting areas with many small fireplaces...drink service too. Very well done!

The interior corridors are a combo of a nice resort and a nice seaside motel...in places, carpet, in places stone flooring.

Our room was on the 6th floor of the tower, on top of the surf. The room was huge for a standard room...500sf, with a nice size closet too. Room was very well done, wish the balcony was a bit bigger, but still allowed for all four of us on the balcony together.

As some other reviews have complained (?) about, this hotel is on the surf, not just on the beach. If your room is on top of the surf, you will hear nature in all of her glory...the roar of the surf drowns out all other noises, which lulled all of us to sleep. But, if you think it will bother you, make sure to ask for another location for your room.

The hotel has a pool with free covered cabanas and lounge chairs. Some cabanas face the ocean, some face the pool.

One level below the pool is a semi private beach, which locals can access too. The beach and the pool share a bathroom, and the bathrooms are superb for pool/beach location. The beach is very clean and well maintained. There is an attendant to pitch umbrellas and set out small high quality beach chairs for you. Lunch and cocktails are also available beachside and poolside.

If you like fine dining, the restaurant Splashes will make every foodie want to stay a bit longer. I highly recommend the Brussels sprouts...a local favorite!

If you are looking for a mega beach resort, this isn't the place, but if you are looking for upscale authentic Laguna Beach beachfront hotel, you will love it here. We sure did!

Room Tip: Make sure you know how close to the surf the room is and if you can sleep with the roar. If not, ot...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Lori, thank you so much for your detailed review! We're so glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Surf & Sand. Happy New Year!