“Exceeded Expectations”
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We wanted one special night right on the beach to hear the roar of the ocean....no ear plugs for us. The person who took our reservation talked us into a package that included valet, breakfast, and resort fee....actually glad that we did as it more than covered everything. While this property is older, the updates they have done are tasteful. We received superb service from the moment we pulled in....from the valet...an upgrade...a special anniversary greeting. Only caveat....no air conditioning and we were there in 90+ with no breeze from the ocean....fans helped, but it was hot. No matter we loved it. The staff seemed to knock themselves out to make certain we appreciated the experience.

1  Thank Barb g
There are newer reviews for Surf & Sand Resort

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at the Surf and Sand with my parents and brother recently and soaked up the luxury of this hotel and its location to the best of my ability. The rooms are beautiful, clean, and serene. The ocean is literally steps away from this hotel and I delighted in the sound of crashing waves that permeated my room when I had the balcony doors open. I also loved my morning swim at 7:30am. :) We ate a delicious breakfast and dinner at Splashes (the restaurant at the hotel) and the service was top of the line. I would definitely come back to The Surf and Sand and stay again. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JulieMC11
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Recommended to our family by many locals we just had to make a stop at this resort. 5 amazing nights at this resort which couldn't get any closer to the pacific ocean if it tried.

Rooms were very luxurious and the amenities in the room were amazing. It was my wife's birthday whilst we were in house & our family back in AUS organised a red velvet cake & flowers to be delivered to our room on the morning of her birthday which the resort took care of perfectly.

Very polite bellman staff who our children enjoyed interacting with during the week. Short walking distance to many good restaurants in laguna including Italian/ Mexican which we sampled.

Pool was awesome down by the beach & we enjoyed cocktails at the pool bar most days. Do yourself a favourite & spend a few nights here & sleep with your doors open so you can hear the ocean all night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ben W
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed this past weekend to celebrate our anniversary. From the moment we arrived, the amazing staff took care of us. The room and view are truly a unique experience in Southern California. The hotel is so close to the water that until you look down from the balcony, you aren't sure it wasn't actually built on the water. I've stayed at many resorts in Laguna Beach and none had this incredible location. We had drinks and appetizers at the bar Friday and saw the most wonderful sunset on the ocean. Our server was attentive and gave excellent recommendations. We spent Saturday going back and forth from the beach to the pool area. Again, the staff checked on us every 15 minutes to ensure we having a great time and to see if we needed anything. Sunday morning we had breakfast with friends at Splashes restaurant. The food was exceptional (I had the dugeoness crab eggs benedict) and again the service was impressive. For a one of a kind experience in Southern California, we strong recommend this resort.

2  Thank JoeLeinackerGM
Reviewed October 2, 2013

If you want to stay virtually on the beach, a few feet above the waves, and hear them crashing on the sand as you sleep, this is the place for you.

The bedrooms are beautiful, and the staff is very friendly.

In addition, Laguna Beach is packed with incredible restaurants and art galleries that you can easily walk to.

However, I would not recommend either the hotel or Laguna Beach for a family vacation. It is more of a couple romantic getaway place.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front in either building and you will be right over the waves.
1  Thank CWRDB
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Customer service was horrible. The surroundings were beautiful. The rooms very nice. But bottom line is that I'd never say here again due to poor service.

After making a noise complaint at 1:30 a.m. due to a domestic dispute in the room next to me, that was addressed by security at 2:00, and then when I called at about 2:15 a.m. to report that the situation had not be resolved no one at the front desk would pick up the phone. I called three times over about 10 minutes with no answer. So, I finally got up, got dressed, walked to the reception desk to find it empty. After poking my head around, I found the attendent coming back from somewhere with two cups of milk in his hands. He said he was only away a minute or two (becuse he wanted some milk to drink). It is true he wanted milk; it is not true that he was away only a minute or two.

No offer to move my room was made. So I decided to leave (at 2:30 a.m. in the morning). Making matters worse, no offer to have my bags moved for me was made and my car was not even brought up from the valet by the time I had gone back to the room, packed and gotten my bill (which in all fairness was a zero charge after I told the attendant I would not paying for a sleepless night).

I won't be back. If you choose to stay here, I hope your experience is far better than mine

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Julie D
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I appreciate your comments, which I take very seriously, and extend my sincere concern and apologies. I regret that, upon attempting to reach you via telephone and leaving you a message, I was unable to speak with you personally.

Please be assured that the inconveniences you experienced are, indeed, uncommon
and not our usual standard of excellence, and I understand your frustration and displeasure.

I would appreciate another opportunity of having you as our guest in the future, please feel free to contact me directly at 949-793-8054.

Joanna Bear
Resort Manager
Surf & Sand Resort

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've stayed at the Surf and Sand Resort twice in the past year and the staff at this hotel has excellent customer service. The rooms are luxurious and comfortable as well. I will be returning here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms with the waves crashing are peaceful.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends