“If you love the sound of the ocean, this is the place for you!!”
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed July 1, 2008

I went their with my boyfriend to celebrate his graduation. We purchased the 60th anniversary package where we received a 2 night stay, $60 credit to the spa or the restaurant Splashes, free breakfast, and daily gifts. We arrived early for R&R, the room was not ready so we waited about 4 hours by the water, that was a bummer, but received free drink coupons. When the room was ready, we were greeted with chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of bubbly, the bellman brought us an extra bottle too! The room was clean and beautiful, they have an Ipod hook up so that was exciting. Since we love the sound of the ocean, we slept with the windows open. Our room was above the pool on the 3rd floor, a great location and an amazing view. The only problem is that there was a bunch of foreign guests in the restaurant singing drunk songs at 12pm. We called the front desk twice and the singing and noise stopped! The 2nd day we received another gift ~ a bottle of white wine and fresh cheeses with crackers and grapes. We also received a surf and sand magnet and a sand bottle gift!
The restaurant was nice but very expensive, the food was delicious, especially the scallop dish. Breakfast was amazing as well. We really enjoyed sitting at the beach since there was a lot of kids by the pool. The hotel provides chairs and a umbrella where ever you wish to sit on the beach. No alcohol is served at the beach, but you are able to go to the hotel bar and order it yourself. The spa was nice, small, and intimate. I found there to be a lot of dust in the common areas but the massage room was clean and fresh smealling.
Overall, we both were pleased with the hotel and the location, I look forward to future trips to The Surf and Sand.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,791)

Reviewed June 16, 2008

I loved the Surf & Sand and it's location right on the beach! The rooms were terrific and the bed VERY comfortable. But the crashing waves, while lovely to listen to during the day, were too much for my husband when he was trying to sleep, so we closed our sliding glass door. Well, it was sooooo warm in our room at about 2am, that I had to give in and open the door again. No air conditioning in a hotel that charges over $500 for these rooms!!!! That's the one thing that would keep me from going again. Otherwise, nice staff and great views.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2008

The Surf and Sand was the most perfect spot for my husband and I to celebrate our 10th anniversary. It was hard to decide between this property, The Ritz and The Montage. We are devoted Ritz patrons but took a risk and were so thrilled. We wanted to stay somewhere less formal and this is the perfect beach hotel. While in Laguna we walked around the Ritz and The Montage, and also dined at Studio at Montage, so I saw first hand that we made the right decision.

The Surf and Sand is so lovely - the rooms were really big and all clean and white. The bed was so much more comfy than the Ritz beds and even Heavenly beds at Westins. We were actually worried the ocean would be too loud, given what other reviews said. It wasn't. Our sleep was perfect. The bathroom is a little small but very nice.

The service throughout the hotel was genuine and friendly and eager-to-please. We were greeted with a bottle of champagne.

The view can't be beat. You literally look down on the foam in the ocean from your balcony. And it's so nice to walk out your door onto the sand and not hike down a long, steep path like at Ritz and Montage.

The atmosphere was relaxed, not formal and a bit "cold" like at most Ritz Carltons. The coffee shop makes excellent coffee and room service was unbelievably prompt. 12 minutes for breakfast 3 days in a row! Splashes restaurant was great for drinks and lunch, although we didn't have dinner there. The best fries I've ever had except in Belgium!

Have no fear staying at the Surf and Sand. It's wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kate-Bex
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Right from the start me and my buddies were treated like royalty, upgraded to a bigger room as soon as we got there for free. Got to our room and it was better than any 4-5 Star that I could remember. The staff waited on us hand and foot and even brought stuff from our car which had been valeted so we didnt have to. We were given complimentary wine and a few other things as soon as we got there. The setup was very nice with a bunch of couches outside on the patio facing the water. The view was amazing with the ocean right behind us but also there happened to be a lot of women walking around :P When we left we were not charged for parking which was an added bonus. Bottom line is this place is absolutely worth the stay, I will stay here for sure next time I come down.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank BigDaddy93
Reviewed May 15, 2008

My friend invited me to join her on a "girlfriend getaway" to the Surf and Sand Resort in Laguna Beach. The hotel rooms were incredibly spacious and clean and the view from the balcony was to die for. The ocean was literally steps away. The balcony provided the perfect setting for sun bathing, reading, or sipping a glass of wine at sunset. Surf and Sand is walking distance from downtown, so you really don't need to drive around. Also, the food at Splashes is absolutely delicious. My friend actually won the stay as a gift, so all we had to pay for were our meals and drinks. Though the rooms are pricey, after staying here, I can say it's worth it and I would definitely come back. My only negative is that the proximity of the rooms to the ocean can make it difficult to sleep soundly at night due to the sound of crashing waves. (The actual waves on the Pacific ocean are waaayyyy louder than the sound of waves on a soundscapes CD.) Thankfully, the hotel provides ear plugs in each rooom, just in case. I can't wait to go back and I'd highly reccommend it for a couples getaway, as it has a pretty romantic vibe.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nitra315
Reviewed April 28, 2008

Loved everything about the place...........
The room was wonderful. Spotless, comfortable, well appointed. The turn down service made me smile at the end of a fun evening!!
The ocean delivered sensory delights every day.
The bar was fun. The restaurant was good. Work out room well equiped.
We walked to many great places downtown (230, K'ya, Sapphire Grill - to name a few).

Our last afternoon, we sat on the balcony, ordered a cheese and fruit plate and drank some bubbly and watched the sun go down.

Ahhhh - California dreaming.

Stayed: April 2008
2  Thank pamelamac
Reviewed April 6, 2008

My husband and I stayed four nights in a corner tower room. We hesitated booking after reading some of the reviews here but are so glad we did! Fabulous location, beautifully redone rooms, gracious staff. The restaurant is a bit pricey, but the view is incredible. Very attentive and courteous staff on the beach as well.

Stayed: March 2008