“After 30 years, a terrible experience” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Beverly Hills, California
“After 30 years, a terrible experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Been going to this place for 30 years. Love the location on the beach. Booked as usual for a number of nights (5 in this case), arrived to find I had the absolute worst room in the hotel. Instead of the usual Ocean View and crashing waves, was on the basement floor overlooking the pool and throngs of screaming kids til all hours. Hotel made little attempt to correct/move me - even though they knew I was a lifelong customer...and was paying $700 per night. After a long drive to get there, decided to just take the room and deal with in the AM - mistake - had to keep the doors closed to block out the screaming kids in the pool til at least 10PM.

This morning, after they couldn't manage a solution (in a very large hotel), I decided to save the money and angst and check-out four days early.

Really love the place, but the desk staff was completely indifferent to my situation. And no one should be spending $700 per night (and even that climbs as the weekend approaches) to have an awful experience.

Room Tip: Unless you are booked in "The Tower" - building 2 - don't even think about it! Run!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Garth A
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

I am responding to your review on Trip Advisor, which has me very concerned as I
take all of the feedback we receive very seriously. As our very valued and loyal guest, I offer
my sincere apologies for the frustration and disappointment you experienced during your
recent stay. I also thank you for reminding me of the importance of continued staff
training in all areas.

Of course, I would enjoy the opportunity of having you as our guest once again.
In lieu of booking through our Central Reservations, I invite you to contact me directly in the
future so that I am able to personally accommodate the details of your stay, ensure there is
no miscommunication, and you receive the rate and room type of which you are accustomed.

Warm regards,

Resort Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was my first time staying here. Just so comfortable. They have morning coffee and tea in the outside lobby. You can sit and look at the waves crashing below. You are just steps from the ocean. They provide everything you need to enjoy your beach day. The rooms are spacious. They provide ear plugs as the ocean gets pretty noisy at night. Each day there are different activities especially if you have kids. We went up to the pool each day for lunch. Food was very good. Lots of choices. Everyone is very nice and they greet you when they walk by. Yes, a little pricey especially in summer but it's worth it. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: You probably don't want to stay over the pool if you're looking for quiet. Kids are there al...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank debunnie
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We all loved this hotel! I stayed here with my husband and two children, ages 24 and 16. They loved staying right on the ocean. We stayed in the Tower Building on the second floor. You couldn't get any closer to the ocean unless you were in it! We had lunch at Splashes upon arrival, the nachos and the fish tacos were delicious and we had a great view of the ocean. All the staff at this resort are very nice and professional. Our room was very spacious, we stayed in a double queen. The maid service at this hotel is topnotch. I know that some of the reviews are complaints about the price of the rooms. You are paying to stay right on the ocean in a beautiful room with excellent service. Just be sure to book a room in the Tower Building, oceanfront, second floor or higher, if you can. I booked through Travelocity and I paid $715/nt. My husband who doesn't like to spend a lot thought that it was totally worth it. We stayed during the week so we didn't have any trouble getting chairs by the pool. The other nice thing about this hotel is the location. You are closer to town. We enjoyed being able to walk to the shops and restaurants. I gave "Sleep Quality" a four because my husband and kids thought that the beds were too firm, I on the other hand, loved the bed!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Santa Ana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

What a great place. People bent over backwards to make sure we felt right at home. The corner King Suite was beautiful and I don't think you can get closer to the ocean. Balcony furniture was comfortable and the view was tremendous.

Our luggage was misplaced upon arrival, but a negative was turned into a positive as the bell captain informed us immediately and he personally brought our bags up to us with an ice bucket and complimentary bottle of wine. The manager sent us up complimentary drink tickets for the bar and/or restaurant along with one for an appetizer. This was certainly not necessary or asked for on our part as the delay was not long.

We will certainly return.

Room Tip: The corner King Suite has plenty of room with a nice balcony that has views for miles. We sat out t...
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a difficult review to write as our experience was very different after we changed rooms.
Perhaps our first mistake was to book a room at the weekend in the middle of the Summer. The hotel was completely rammed; there seemed to be people everywhere! The first problem we encountered was at check-in when we arrived past the check-in time but our room was still not ready. We were asked to go down to the restaurant for a drink but this was so full of inebriated guests we preferred to walk the streets.
We were then given our room which was probably the worst one in the hotel. Ground floor at Seaview Terrace, overlooking a small but noisy pool and the roof of the restaurant. Yes you could also just about see the Ocean but the balcony was not an inviting place to sit. But what is worse is the entry to the room which is via a grubby service area. Really unpleasant. Of course we tried to move rooms straight away but the hotel was completely full.
We then thought we would try the complimentary drinks at the terrace upstairs but this was so full of people we gave up, after stepping over a drunk couple snogging, and went to bed early.
Finally, however, we got a room change into the main tower and what a difference. Great views of the sea, better bathroom, better beds....so much nicer. By this stage the weekend was over, the hotel was quieter and was a much better place to be.
I am sure you can have a lovely time here if you time your stay for non-peak times and get one of the lovely rooms with a nice view. The people who worked there seem nice and did try to help us. Ultimately, however, not a great stay for us and certainly not worth the expensive cost.

Room Tip: Avoid Seaview Terrace and try to get a room in the main block.
Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank GeorgieA1
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Surf & Sand Resort.

On behalf of the resort, my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced.
As our very valued guests, we take your feedback very seriously, and your
disappointment and frustration is certainly understood.

As you are aware, during the summer months, the resort is typically at very high occupancy, and
you are correct that during “non-peak” season, we are able to be more flexible regarding room type, rates and dates of stay.

To ensure a pleasant stay in the future and you receive the room type you prefer, I would like
to invite you to contact Pamela Hopkins in the Executive Office directly at 949-793-8075 so that
we are able to personally coordinate the details of your stay.

We look forward to having you back with us when your travels bring you to lovely Laguna Beach.

Warm regards,

Key West, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

I don't run in the $765/night a room crowd, but my wife wanted to surprise me with a trip. Room was great, overlooking the pacific. But, it is on a highway and you still hear the garbage trucks in the morning; The shower head pressure was so weak it was nearly impossible to get shampoo out of my hair; breakfast waiter was sooooo.... slow to get a cup of coffee. Oh and the beach is quite narrow, especially at high tide. Pool area is tiny and five kids in it overwhelm it. So, this may sound picky, but to my naïve taste, not worth the price.

Room Tip: Don't pay up
4 Thank Julie D
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Surf & Sand. My sincere
apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Your comments are appreciated
and taken very seriously so that improvements may be made whenever possible
(i.e., the shower pressure and slow service).

We would certainly enjoy having you back as our guest when your travels bring you back to Laguna Beach. Please contact me personally at 949-793-8054 for any needed assistance in the future.

Riverside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We have been staying at the Surf and Sand Hotel for 17 years now. Laguna Beach is just under an hour away from our home, but it truly feels like we are in a different world! Upon arrival, you enter the property and are welcomed by curtious valet personnel. Once you exit your car, you are greeted by gracious front desk staff, a wonderful concierge and the magnificent Pacific Ocean. Surf and Sand is located on the beach!! The rooms are all stunning! Remodeled recently, they are confortable, cozy, clean and beautifully appointed. Our favorite things to do are have drinks at Splashes, the bar/lounge sitting right on the beach and we walk to the village, which is exactly 1 mile away from the Surf and Sand. We rarely take the car out once we have checked in. The staff at both the restaurant and bar are exceptional. Truly, you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: There are three buildings at the Surf and Sand. First, there is the surfside building. This buildi...
1 Thank Christi S