“Just relax!”
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Love the Surf & Sand! We had an oceanfront room (have stayed several times.) We are local to the area and it's one of my favorite places to stay at the beach. The rooms are really on the beach, it's so nice. The spa is nice and had a great massage. It's small but unique.

Room Tip: Oceanview, and the older building is just as nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just home from 5 days of pleasure at this lovely resort in Laguna Beach California. From the staff to the decor you couldn't beat this retreat!! The weather was gorgeous and hot and this hotel has no A/C but it does have lovely views of the sea and with it lovely sea air and the "roar" of the waves to put you to sleep. Fans and the windows all open more than compensated for no A/C. There are wonderful little, quirky shops all down the PCH that is the " main " street of Laguna and great little restaurants/bars to meet every need!!

Room Tip: ask not to be in the highrise building!
1  Thank preci0us0ne
Reviewed October 18, 2012

A small group of us stayed at the S&S two weekends ago and the experience was amazing. Looking at other review people's expectations seemed a little off with the no ac conversation but this is nothing to the overall five star experinece we received from the staff. The resort is on the ocean, the pool, bars and resturant are on the ocean.

We wake and go for a swim, have lunch or a drink in the bar and go for a swim. Actually, I swam and ate my lunch thru the windows with my traveling companions. All six of us loved the rooms, the beds are so sampling, the ocean at night and by the way ac is going in next year. The morning coffe shop was great as breakfast which was one of the best. We often stay at other resorts around this part of the coast but this wins on all counts. It is expensive as in over $600 a night but worth every penny.

The location is excellent and we did use our car once. We walked to bars, restaurants and stores. Overall a triple A experience. S&S keep up the amazing work you gem of a resort.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sastudio
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Our visit to the Surf and Sand was wonderful. The rooms were beautifully appointed and my daughter loved the "floating" beds! The lights under them make them look they are floating in air. We loved sleeping with the windows open to hear the surf. As a Southern Californian I love the heat, so I did not mind the no a/c. We just hung at the pool and dipped our feet in the surf. The beach is clean and the pool side service was superb. The pool was closed early in the evening to prepare for a private party, but we did not mind as we spent the whole day at the pool. Spashes restaurant offered excellent service and food, and it was a great place to watch the sunset. Our stay was short, but I would certainly stay again. Even though we just came up from our own resort town of San Diego, it felt like we were on a far away vacation being right on the beach.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Honestly, the view from the rooms is awe inspiring. I was so mesmerized by it, I find it difficult to write anything else about the room in general. Yes, there is no AC. I was able to keep the room temp very manageable and I like my rooms pretty chilly by other peoples standards. I did sleep with the windows open (shutters closed) and I slept VERY well. If you are sensitive to sound - yes, you will hear the waves crashing. I found it soothing. In the morning you can sit on your balcony and enjoy coffee and then maybe take a walk on the beach. Just beautiful ...SUCH a lovely experience! Okay- and beyond the ocean views, the location is great - we would walk downtown for dinner. If you are staying in laguna, the two things you want to consider are beach access (ideal to have a hotel situated directly on the ocean) and the ability to walk to the downtown restaurants. The surf and sand has both. Oh, and did I mention the view?

Room Tip: Corner rooms get more of a breeze, if you are worried about the room temp!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2012

When we stepped into the room it was so hot and sticky... I searched up and down for the a/c control, but was surprised when I realized there was no air conditioning! I live in Las Vegas and have dealt with 120 degree summers, but spending +$500/night, you just assume there would be a/c. I wish I would have read these reviews before hand to know this, especially since I get hot very easily. Personally, I like having the balcony door open to listen to the waves and having 2 fans full blast distracted from the ambiance, not to mention didn't cool it off enough.

There were 2 wedding on the Saturday and 2 more on Sunday. The lobby area and walkways were packed with people and it was very awkward walking through all the dressed up people wearing shorts. We weren't informed of the weddings either. Our room was in between both decks where the weddings were held and we actually got stopped by security and weren't allowed down to our room because a ceremony was taking place. And we couldn't use the pool... again for this price this kind of thing shouldn't happen. After the second night and not being allowed to our room I brought this to the front desk's attention - I have never complained in my life. But being a student and having saved months worth of money I was upset (and hot). They gave us a $200 resort credit and apologized. Sounds like a lot, but with spending $1700 for 3 nights, the $200 really only got us a lunch and a breakfast with the rediculous prices (ie. $12 coffees). They said we could use it at the spa, but when we tried there were no openings and we were leaving the next day.

The hotel is nice, ocean front view is beautiful and it would have been a great stay if it wasn't crowded with weddings and uncomfortable in the rooms. If you don't like being hot and sticky, check the weather before you come or stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: It's funny that the tip popped up to the right while I'm typing showing Examples of helpful...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Surf_and_Sand_Resort, General Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Surf & Sand Resort.

I apologize that you were unable to enjoy your time with us due to the unseasonably warm weather and wedding business volume.

We would love another opportunity for you to experience our service and products that we are known for… please call me directly at 949-793-8054 for arrangements.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Joanna Bear
Assistant General Manager
Surf & Sand Resort

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We have been coming to the Surf and Sand for many years. The location of the hotel is incredible withe rooms in the main part if the hotel literally looking right out into the ocean. It is as if you had stepped out onto your ocean liner deck. Although there are several other beautiful hotels in the area, none of them has this view. The decor of the rooms is lovely; light and airy; very cheerful. There is no air conditioning but this had never been a problem due to the wonderful ocean breezes---until this visit. The room was very warm and required the use of two fans to make it more comfortable. I can't imagine what it must have been like two weeks ago when the temperature was 100 degrees.
The personnel at the front desk and concierge are cheerful, efficient, and helpful.
The restaurant and bar area also have incredible views (restaurant named Splashes) but the additions to the hotel with increased numbers of guests has outstripped the capacity if the restaurant and bar so that one frequently has to wait to get seated. However, once in the restaurant the food and service are excellent

Room Tip: Would try to get a room in the main building