“First time for me”
Review of Surf & Sand Resort

Surf & Sand Resort
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My daughter, who had stayed her once before, and I spent a wonderful day and night at the Surf and Sand. We were upgraded from a room overlooking the pool and ocean to a room on the 7th floor overlooking the beach and the price didn't go up. The service people were friendly and I felt they enjoyed meeting people. Our room was huge with 2 queen, I think,beds, a large desk and chair, a chair in which to relax, and good lighting. The bathroom had both a tub and shower, double sinks, and nice amenities. There was a large closet, robes, and a safe. We had a very nice balcony. There was no noise in the corridor at any time. Parking was included in our package.
We had lunch on our arrival, and breakfast the next day at Splashes Restaurant. The food
was presented well and was delicious. I am looking forward to my next visit there as I doubt I would stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kristofur

Reviewed June 14, 2011

We stayed here for 10 days (a mixture of work and pleasure). It is amongst the best hotels that we have ever had the pleasure of staying in. The location (right next to the beach) is stunning, and from the balcony, we saw dolphins in the sea, and on one occasion a whale and her calf. The beach is lovely, and the outdoor pool is also excellent.
The hotel itself is very comfortable and the standard of service is excellent-this isone of the things that made the stay so consistently good throughout. We are both very picky about hotels and we couldn't find fault with this one. The staff are excellent, they couldn't do too much for the guests.The valet parking captain and the concierge were the best we had ever met.
The room was lovely and very well appointed ( we had free internet and parking in our package).
Well done Sand and Surf, and thank you for a great holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the beach
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DilandPeter
Reviewed June 13, 2011

At first I was upset that the rooms are not air conditioned but I slept with my patio doors open and had amazing breezes and fell asleep to the sound of the ocean. Waking up and having my morning coffee looking at the ocean started my day off great! I really miss being there. I definitely found my happy place at the Surf and Sand Laguna!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank etsplash
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We had a fantastic time at the Surf and Sand in Laguna. The hotel was great, excellent service, prefect location and the room was nice. We enjoyed superb views with a room and deck that overlooked the Pacific Ocean. The resort was so good that between the room, the beach and the pool we really didn't need to venuture out. Overall a souperb relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a Ocean View room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank liamtaylor_nz
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband and I just celebrated our 5 th wedding anniversary at surf and sand. I was torn between here and the montage I was swayed by the fact that we would have a penthouse suite vs a room at the montage. Not sure I made the right choice. Yes being right over the ocean was great but this really isn't a resort it is basically a hotel room. The pool is small the restaurant was good but nothing fabulous there really wasn't a bar/lounge area other than some couches and fireplug over looking the parking/car arrival area. Our suite was nice but the balcony didn't have any lounge chairs the bed was comfortable bathroom nice but we paid over $800 a night i guess I was expecting to be wowed a little more than I was. I am anxious to try the montage next visit.

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank kimbren
ssrta, Manager at Surf & Sand Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay at Surf & Sand Resort and regret to hear we didn't meet your expectations.

With our suites product, we do have other options that include large decks with lounge chairs as well as other amenities.

In addition to our 1555 Lounge adjacent to our Lobby, our guests also enjoy Splashes Bar, located "just above beach level".

If your travel plans include Laguna Beach, please free feel contact the Executive Offices at 949-793-8075.

Joanna Bear
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2011

Everything is first class. Romantic and relaxing from the service to the food you are treated special by the staff. The ocean view is spectacular.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank slbhawk
Reviewed May 18, 2011

I should start by saying that we encountered a few problems before we arrived. I received a courtesy call a few hours before we were supposed to check in to alert me to the fact the pool would not be available for most of the time of our stay. This was a deal breaker as I was traveling with an 8 and 12 year old who happily can spend all day in the pool- which in turn allows me to have my very much needed time to relax. I wasn't happy as it was closed due to a private function, not a pool malfunction which would have been out of their control and I thought I should have been given the option at an earlier date to change reservations if needed. I can tell you that the staff at Surf and Sand bent over backwards to make things right, and arranged for pool access at a neighboring 5 Star resort, plus other concessions.
We stayed in 2 tower rooms with connecting doors, and while pricey, I just think it is one of the most wonderful relaxing places out there. We were on the 9th floor and had pelicans flying by at eye level, with the beautiful crashing waves below. The bedroom was elegant and comfortable, and food from Splashes delicious.
I am dreaming of returning by myself for a week of relaxation and to see local friends.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family