“Decent” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Decent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

Location - excellent! - cross the street to get to the posh Montage resort and Treasure Island Beach which are both breathtaking. However, it's much further south from the main part of town but you can easily catch a shuttle there. There is a strip mall conveniently located next door with a grocery store (w/ a Starbucks), a pharmacy, a restaurant and pizza place.
Rooms - definitely due for an overhaul as it is worn and dated and the mattress was too soft to my liking. But I did find it clean.
Facilities - a pool which was clean and heated. The whirlpool was working but could also use some updating.
Service - excellent. Easy check-in. As we were given a permit to park our car in the hotel parking lot, the staff also gave us an extra 2 permits for our extended families who were visiting the beach for the day but not staying overnight. They also freely gave us extra beach towels without question.
Breakfast - free but not very good.
Value - I usually do my own research when looking for accommodations but this time, it was booked by my parent-in-laws as they like to stay here. So for $180 for a Friday night, I'm not sure if that would be considered good value for this area but for me, I found it to be quite expensive for what I was getting.
I'll say that I'd recommend this hotel to a friend...based on the service...but really, I think I'd need to do more research on the hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Leiden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2010

We were a bit worried because of the recent negative reviews for the Laguna Reef Inn, but all in all we had a pleasant stay for a very reasonable rate.

Yes, the interior is dated. The room - we were in 223 - could do with some new wallpaper or a paint job, and yes, the brown tiling in the bathroom is an acquired taste. But the room was tidy and clean and provided plenty of space for the four of us.

The 'botanical garden' is a bit of a mess and seems to have been a bit neglected the last couple of months/years(?) but it still is a pleasant area. The pool is small but clean.

The location is fine. Spectacular even, when considering the fantastic beach just across the street, which can be reached by an easy stroll through the beautiful garden park of the adjacent Montage Resort.

We had a car and were in Laguna Beach center within 10 minutes, but for those without a car, in front of the hotel there is a bus stop, offering free shuttle rides to the town center in the months june/july/august.

The only real 'complaint' we could have is that the promised continental breakfast does not really exist. It is nothing more than a few pre-fab pastries and a cup of coffee. No bread, no fruits, nothing else.
Next to the hotel however are plenty of places to grab a breakfast, or just ride downtown for a nice breakfast in the center.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank rrrick
Denver, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

The ONLY thing this place has going for it is that it is close to the Montage (we were there for a wedding), and that it has a nice setting with all the trees and plants. Otherwise, it is quite a dump.

The rooms are in need of renovation, badly. They were late checking us in, and were quite rude about it. They did not clean under the beds-became very apparent to us when we found a moldy half eaten chicken bone under the bed the night we got there (which they never even cleaned up). They never changed the sheets or towels. They gave us the same crap night after night after we asked for new ones. The Ice machine was broken, the hot tub was gross, and the pool may have given me an ear infection. On top of that- the "Continental Breakfast" was bad coffee and a pastry, nothing else- seriously false advertising. We also got a "discounted" room rate- a whopping $10 off per night.

My advice- pay the extra 20-30 bucks for the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Laguna Beach hotels

Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

It's not the four seasons but it is a great value for the area. It's right across the street from a beautiful beach but the main part of town is not within walking distance. There is a Z Pizza and Alberstons next door which was very conveniant. The beach is across PCH, and down two flights of stairs. It sounds bad, but it's a nice stroll. We stayed in room 117 which was nicely hidden behind some tall rafus palms. The grounds had a great vibe with all the green with tropical plants. The jacuzzi has brown tile and was very clean. The pool was also very clean and was great for swimmig laps.
This is a very friendly family owned buisness and we will come back for sure. Loved the free parking at the hotel and the trolly was fun to ride.
Note all parking meters in town take Visa/ Mastercard cards as well as quarters.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank goodtimesahead11
LA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2010

This was by far the worst hotel we have ever stayed at. Upon arrival to room 110 my husband opened the door and said he did not think he could do it! As in it looked and smelled horrible. I told him to brighten up and take our son to the pool while I unpacked. When I went to go get him he said look in the Jacuzzi.....the water was brown! OMG. Well since we were in Laguna I assumed we would be spending most of our time at the beach, but given that there was a huge storm that was not the case. We tried to stay out as late as possible our first night, hoping we that we would be tired enough to endure it. WRONG! we walked in to the worst smell you have ever smelled. I went to the front desk and moved to another smaller room 116. It smelled better, but was stil just as gross. I think they need to seriously change their carpets. I was afraid my son would catch something walking on the floor.

Let me say, that my husband and i are not prissy by any means. The decor does not have to be the best, but I do demand a clean room. We got through the night, but am afraid that we had to cancel the rest of our stay there as we could not do it. I feel really badly saying that it was my worst stay ever, but it was. I cannot imagine how it is receiving rave reviews from people. I cannot imagine for one minute, yet there were plenty of happy people around. The only thing I can say is perhaps they were from Way out of town and "Had" to make the best of it. I am afraid you get what you pay for....well at least at the Laguna Inn. I just my son did not catch a disease from the pool!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Kansas City, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2010

I was really scared to stay here after reading some of the reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is older, but other than that I have no complaints. The grounds were beautiful: very full of foliage. The pool was clean, though we never used it. The room was clean, and also smelled clean. We didn't leave with the funky "hotel smell" in our luggage. Also, I didn't see a single bug! I had to crawl under the armoire to plug in my phone, and there were no cobwebs. Very well taken care of. The shower had great water pressure! The breakfast was basic but filling. If you have a problem with packaged pastries, there are about 20 cafes to choose from right down the street. If anything, it gives you an excuse to try out some local places.
Location, location, location! The beach RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET is AMAZING!!! You walk through a fancy resort to get to it, and they have lots of parks with families picnicking, etc. Lovely place.
I would stay there again, especially since it's such a great price. Don't be scared off by the other reviews!
P.S. The scary desk lady everyone wrote about must be gone. The people manning the desk when we were there were great and very helpful!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2010

Found this hotel on Expedia and got an excellent deal!

This hotel was quiet, even though it is on Pacific Coast Highway. It is easy to get to, parking is free and easily accessible. Internet was free. I was very impressed with how clean the room was....not only did it look clean, it smelled clean. We stayed in a king room and the bed was very comfortable. Plenty of pillows, too. The gardens were lush and quite beautiful with begonias, azaleas, palm trees all in bloom and well cared for. I would definitely stay here again and recommend to friends who are traveling to the Laguna Beach area.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple