New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Laguna Beach Lodge

Laguna Beach Lodge
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Montoursville, PA
“Another week in Laguna!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Traveled to Laguna Beach for a week of work and our Christmas party. Got an awesome deal on Priceline. My husband joined me half way through the week so for him it was a mini winter break!

Arrival and room: they are always so nice here! Very quick. Even though I had made these reservations over a month ago and had called to request a king sized bed, it had not been reserved for me or noted. Luckily, they had a splendid room right in the center, upstairs that was perfect: 211. Nice view. Our room on previous stay for one week in June was 217. Huge room differences, 217 had a small, separate "dining room" with a table and chairs...much easier for eating separate from the main room area. 211 did not have this but it was still fine. I work from my room so the more space I have, the better.

Other:
Parking is a dream: free and plentiful.
Pool: nice for the first 3 days. A surprise on Wednesday of my week and just prior to my husband coming...they ripped up the whole area. No pool, no hot tub, NO NOTICE! I was never told this was going to happen, never saw any type of notice posted or anything. Would have been nice to know there would be no pool and that there would be construction right outside of my door for most of the 8 nights I was there.

Outside of that, sleeping was good since it was relatively quiet (except the couple fighting next door until 3 am).

Housekeeping: great! These ladies do a good job!

Love the location of this place. Albertson's next door and several restaurants.

All in all not bad but could have been made better with communications from the staff re: construction.

Room Tip: 211 or 217
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,764 helpful votes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We spent a full day in Disneyland last week and wanted to spend the night in Laguna. We arrived around 9:00 and were given two rooms upstairs with oceanviews. The rooms are very basic, even more so than when this was a Best Western property. Bed was comfortable and a soak in the jacuzzi was nice after all of the walking we did that day. The pool was comfortable enough for a swim and there is a very basic continental breakfast included with your room.

We checked out very early and went over to The Montage, across the street where we enjoyed two luxurious nights. This is a very basic hotel but is a great value at under $100/night. We booked under their save 15% special if you book a week in advance. The location can't be beat, right across the street from the ocean and my favorite resort on the west coast.! :)

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room, you can see the ocean and there are chairs and a table there if you want to ha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Sunny Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Ok, let me preface this that I wanted something low cost, quick and it needed to have free WI-FI, free Parking, and an Outdoor Pool and Jacuzzi. This hotel fit the bill perfectly. I must admit, I have stayed at this hotel before under various names, but have never reviewed it, mainly because there is nothing earth shattering about this hotel. Typical 1950’s motel is really a better description. This hotel is in need of major remodeling, but IF (notice the big if) you want something low cost, close to (drivable, maybe walkable if you are strong) Main Beach and can live within modest means, this may work for you. The biggest feature this hotel has is that it is directly across the street from Laguna Beaches’ only 5 Star/Resort. I see a lot of people staying here and walking across the street for the affairs there and their beautiful beach areas. Rooms are clean, Bathrooms are tolerable, Beds appear newer. The soap they give you is VERY small, good for 1 day max. We went to the store in the parking lot and purchased a soap bar it was so small. This fits the bill for a cheap getaway. Beware, this is not a luxury hotel, I would say 2 star. The kids will love the heated pool while you relax in the hot Jacuzzi (BEWARE, the Jacuzzi is 100% TILED meaning is VERY slippery). See you at the beach!

Room Tip: Pick the Ocean view rooms for the extra $$
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We booked a block of 6 rooms checking in on Wednesday and checking out on Sunday for a wedding. The Sunday before we travelled, we confirmed the final count of rooms needed with Michael at the hotel. We did end up adding a couple of rooms and gladly agreed to pay the additional cost as rates had gone up since the original booking. Everything was fine until our guest started to arrive on Thursday. We had nothing but problems with Janis at the front desk. She was rude and argumentative and kept blaming me for messing up the reservations. The first time I had a run in with her, I kept my cool and insisted on seeing the manager who straightened out the problem immediately. I had a problem every single day with our room arrangements and each time Janis whined and complained about what a problem we were. The final straw was on Saturday. The wedding took place on Friday night and a portion of our guests checked out Saturday morning. One of the guests who checked out lives an hour away. She needed to go home Saturday morning, but agreed to come back Saturday evening to help us do some cleanup. When she arrived back at the hotel, I was at another location and told her I would be there in about 20 minutes. While she was waiting, she started to take a walk to kill time. Janis came out of the office and screamed (literally) at my friend that if she did not move her car, she would call the police and have her towed. My friend tried to explain that she was waiting for me, but it did not matter. My friend was forced to drive away and come back when I got there. Janis would not call the manager for me, nor would she give me anyway to contact the manager. I filed a complaint with corporate and finally spoke to another person on the front desk who did provide me with a number for the manager. The manager told me Janis probably just needed some courses on how to give good customer service.

I have never been treated so rudely by anyone in customer service. My husband witnessed her yelling at someone else as well. Janis was on a power trip and anyone with that attitude will never learn how to give customer service. Sometimes an employee needs to remember where the money comes from that pays their wage.

I do want to touch on the rooms. Definitely nothing special, but were clean. The rooms are definitely old and a bit tired. We did have a problem with a leaky shower and a clogged sink. The sink was fixed, but the shower was not (maintenance man tried).

I want to give the maintenance man and all of the staff, other than Janis, credit for being courteous, accommodating, and kind.

The location is great, but nothing can make up for how we were treated by the front desk. After checking out on Sunday, we were back in the area later in the week, but chose to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Boho33

Travelers are raving about these Laguna Beach hotels

Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

The hotel doesnt look very nice from the outside, but once in the room they are big and clean. The room looks old but its perfect for ehat your are paying.
Its just across the beach and it has a nice pool and hot tub.
Would totally recommend it if you are travelling on a low budged but still want to stay in Laguna Beach.

• Stayed November 2012