“Gross Hotel - AVOID!”

Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Gross Hotel - AVOID!”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

DO NOT STAY HERE !!! The bathrooms are very dirty and look like you're in a bus station. The rooms on the lowers levels are beneath the street and have views of concrete walls. Breakfast not edible. Our tub leaked all over the carpet. This place is a mess!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
dsg92651, Director of Sales at Laguna Brisas Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2010
It is unfortunate you had such a poor experience at our beautiful property. I am unsure the details of your stay making it difficult to comment. Other reviews indicate cleaniless to be above par. Our complimentary breakfast provideas a great start to our guest's stay with fresh waffles, assorted bagels and breads, cereals, juices, fruit and yogart (among other items) so I am unsure of what you might have been expecting. There is only one room in our hotel whose patio walls are beneath the street level (which is often requested for it's privacy) And while almost all rooms have the large, oversized whirlpool spa for two in them, they have been known to splash over when filled above the water line which my have been done accidently in your case. Laguna Beach has many fine hotels and we are sure you will find something that better fits your needs.. Thank you for your comments and allowing us the opportunity to respond.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I spent too much money on this hotel because it was getting late and we didn't want to drive too much farther. We called around in Laguna Beach for a hotel and this one was over $200 but it was not up in the $400-$500 range that some of them were at. I settled as the front desk told me it was the last room and we needed a place soon. Big mistake! When I got there the set up at the front desk was like a motel. The front desk guy was the only one there...it was a little creepy because the front desk is in the parking garage and it was just very quiet. He said I would have to park my car and then take my luggage to our room which was not accessible by an elevator for the last flight of stairs. I was shocked...that would be a very long haul. Then he decided to call someone, a guy that was very unprofessional and non-communicative, to help us with our luggage. We unloaded it there, and then parked our car and went to the room where the porter was waiting to help us unload. This room as in a very weird spot, and right next to the road with an outside door. It truly was like checking into a cheap motel. I wanted to bolt but it was too late. The room was in poor repair. There was a plastic base board flopping over coming away from the wall, an old office chair that did not match the rest of the room stuck in front of a huge desk that did not match either, and all of this was blocking the air conditioning unit. There was also NO DOOR on the bathroom! It was a set of small swinging doors which made it very uncomfortable. I took a bath while everyone was asleep and all I had was the shower curtain for privacy. The breakfast was pretty poor in the morning in one of those little breakfast rooms. If you are going to stay in Laguna Beach, I am sure there are MUCH nicer places for the price.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Moved to this hotel after poor experience at a nearby hotel. We found it friendly, clean and the room and facilities were great value for money. We really wished we had moved to it a few days earlier.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed September 8, 2010

The wife and I ducked out to Laguna Beach for a little anniversary get away. She picked the Best Western primarily for the fact that it offered a competitive rate and included an in-room whirlpool, breakfast and parking. Potential knock on it was the distance to main beach. For us the hotel generally worked well. The in-room whirlpool was a treat, though it did make using the tub as a shower something of a balancing act. Access to main beach was a 20 minute walk, but quite pleasant and we enjoyed the stretch of our legs. Breakfast was just so-so, overall amenities were limited, and the major gripe was the paper thin walls. Get as far away from everyone else as possible. 4th floor in the back seemed the best option, though still heard a lot of the neighbor's TV.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
Reviewed September 5, 2010

We booked this hotel after reading the good reviews on Trip Advisor. We checked into our room which was one of the rooms at the back and very dark. We left to go to the beach which is why we booked this hotel in the first place. On returning to the room my throat started to itch, chest started to tighten and my eyes and nose started to stream. I knew straight away that it was a dust allergy relating to dust or long haired animals. That night we went out and all night my eyes and nose was streaming like I had the worst cold ever. We returned to the room late and had the worst night sleep. We thought about complaining there and then but at 2 in the morning and after a long day on the road you just hope you will get some sleep! We woke the next day and had a better look at the hotel and realized just how much dust was present. We were shocked and took photos. We had breakfast and informed the manager who pretty much dismissed us and said he would sort it out- too late when you are leaving that day! On check out the manager happened to be there and said as we booked third party (i.e with Expedia) he would have to sort a few things out and give us a 10% refund. It has been nearly a month and we haven't heard anything. I'm sorry a 10% discount for a dusty room and a bad nights sleep is unacceptable I thought a clean room comes as standard but obviously not in a Best Western! During our 3 weeks stay in California we stayed in a variety of rooms ranging from the 5 star MGM Grand Signature, Hi Hostels along the coast and numerous Quality and Comfort Inns. The Best Western Laguna was by far the most expensive at $230 a night and the dirtiest!!!!!!!! Sometimes I guess you don't get what you pay for!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for the entire month of January - I had to be in SoCal for business the entire month. I had a streetside/balcony room, which was across the street from the Pacific Ocean. I had a great viiew. At times it tended to be noisy because I overlooked PCH, but the view, very large room, and location to restaurants and shops, made it all worth it. The management and staff are friendly and very helpful. If you want to stay in Laguna Beach and not spend a fortune, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
columbia
Reviewed July 30, 2010

This is a great place to stay. We visited on business and had so much fun, stayed over. The staff was terrific!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business