My first California beach experience occurred in Laguna Beach 16 years ago when we took our family to Disneyland and stayed in Anaheim. During that trip we had taken a bus tour to the OC beach area and the tour guide suggested that we spend our day in Laguna beach. We loved it and have since travelled several times a year to California, staying in either the Hollywood, Redondo Beach, or, if cruising, Long Beach. This trip I wanted to go back and stay in Laguna Beach even though it is 55 miles from the city of Los Angeles which was the focal point of our trip.
I booked the Best Western primarily because I had enough loyalty points to redeem 300.00 worth of BW travel cards. I also loved the quoted price of $125.00 per night for a king room that was "99 steps" from the beach.
As mentioned, I had booked the room several months before the trip. I receive regular e-mails from BW, and on one occasion after booking I decided to check the room rate to see if there was any change from the rate that I had booked. There was. It was a misplaced decimal mistake in the quote which took the room rate down to a ridiculously low amount. I decided to try booking it at the rate, knowing that the rate was erroneous. The booking was successful. As the date for the trip neared, I called the hotel directly to see if they would honor the rate. They indicated that they would, and in the end, they did. So, if you ever wondered if a hotel would honor an incorrectly entered hotel rate on their site, in this case, the hotel did honor it.
We were accommodated in a king room with a Jacuzzi, and if I had paid full price for the room I would have requested a room with a balcony and a bit of a view. Our room was in semi basement and had a door that opened to a sort of sunken balcony with a view of the plants beside the sidewalk. I figured this was fair game if they were going to honor the room rate. The room itself had a king bed, the 2 person Jacuzzi, a sofa, flat screen tv, a shower that had good pressure, a bar fridge, and a coffee maker. There was free wifi and I had no difficulty connecting. The room was cleaned daily, although generally it was cleaned later in the day, around 3:00 pm. The breakfast is offered from 7:30-10:30 and is one of the better freebie breakfasts that I have had. There were scrambled eggs mixed with ham, sausages, and potatoes along with 2 waffle makers and the usual other continental and cereal offerings. The breakfast room is on the 3rd floor, where the hotel pool is. The pool looked OK, I did not use it. The hot tub was down for repairs. There are lounge chairs and umbrella tables in this area. Up a flight of stairs on the 4th level are more chairs and tables and this area provides a view of the ocean. The hotel is not directly on the beach, rather it is across the street. It is however, not much more that the 99 steps as indicated on the hotel website. The beach was beautiful and we enjoyed our time on it.
For $125.00 per night, the original posted rate, I don't think you could go wrong. Hotels backing directly onto the beach run from $250.00 - over $500.00 per night. There is no charge for parking.
Additionally, the hotel is within walking distance to all kinds of restaurants, cafe's, boutiques and art galleries/stores.
All in all we enjoyed our stay I would return to this hotel without hesitation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "99 Steps to the Beach..." The alluring tranquility of the infinite Pacific will envelope your senses as you relax and rejuvenate in one of our fully air-conditioned rooms featuring beautifully appointed furnishings and 32-inch flat screen LCD Televisions. Immerse yourself in the warmth of the sun while gazing towards Catalina Island and the ocean's expanse from our scenic rooftop terrace followed by a soothing swim in the sparkling outdoor pool. Let your mind drift while your dreams soar. Complimentary high-speed Internet! Complimentary hot buffet breakfast! From a romantic getaway to a family vacation to the refined services for the business traveler, the Laguna Brisas Hotel is your perfect destination. From the moment you enter the lobby, you will be greeted with friendly smiles and the superior service one would expect from such a special location. Laguna Brisas is located above the crystal waters of the blue Pacific at the corner of Bluebird Canyon and South Coast Highway. Parking fee $20 USD per night; one parking spot allowed per room. Enjoy your moment at the Laguna Brisas Hotel today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Laguna Brisas Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Laguna Brisas Hotel Laguna Beach
- Best Western Laguna Beach
- Laguna Beach Best Western