All reviewsrooftop bardownstairs restaurantsmall platesrooms are smallspanish styleliterally stepsacross the streetboutique hotelocean viewfree breakfastbreakfast roomwatch the sunsetresort feethe entire staffprivate beachbeach towelsart galleries
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Laguna's Casa del Camino Hotel has beautiful architecture, and a romantic roof top bar, and lobby. These however, did NOT make up for the fact that several things in the room were either broken, or shabby. The carpets smelled of mold, and were dirty and stained. The toilet seat was broken. The security lock on the door was stuck and would not work, leading to a embarrassing encounter of being walked in on while naked. I left feeling that this cute hotel was MUCH less than charming.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2008

After a LONG week of business in Anaheim, I stayed here over the weekend before heading to Oregon on more business. The location is fantastic - can walk to just about whatever I needed or wanted to see or do...great beaches, diners, cafes, spa, bookstore, etc. The room was very small, but adequate. I left the windows open and could see and hear the ocean all day and night. Perfect serenity...except for when the active crowd was going up and down the stairs and halls to the rooftop bar. A young, good looking crowd always in the lobby and around the hotel. Speaking of young, I don't think I saw anyone over 35 on staff. But, they seemed very professional and willing to serve. The room was adequate for me - traveling alone. It would be tight quarters for two people, but that might be just fine for traveling couples. The bathroom was very nice...bright white tiles and walls and fixtures. Perfect with the ocean as a backdrop. Only complaint was the noise out my window at times. Both evenings, I heard someone rummaging through the dumpster for glass bottles. Seems they took over 30 minutes each time. It was a bit noisy. Walls are a little thin, but that's what you're going to get with an old-style hotel like this. It's been updated nicely. I'd recommend it to Gen X folks, looking to hang out at a place near the beach and that is active.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jkarennj
Reviewed April 7, 2008

Against my better judgement , I booked a 3 night stay here instead of at the Inn at Laguna Beach. I stayed here about 10 years ago and remembered it as a quaint and quiet getaway. I wish I had shelled out the extra money for The Inn, because this place was awful.
The lobby and restaurant are quite charming, but that doesn't make up for the tiny, shabby room we stayed in. The first problem was that our room was on the same floor as the lobby (on the "2nd" floor--DO NOT take a room on the 2nd floor if they offer it to you) I asked for a different room but nothing else was available. We heard every noise from the lobby and even heard kitchen noise from the restaurant. At night when people want to go up to the rooftop deck, they congregate in the lobby. Combine that with people waiting to be seated at the restaurant, and you have Grand Central Station. We literally had drunk people yelling outside of our door late at night. I will say thank you to the front desk for clearing the people away from our doorway.
We had a "partial" ocean view, which consisted of a slice of water toward the horizon and a row of dumpsters underneath us.
The carpet was so disgustingly dirty, it looked as though it had never been cleaned. And the room smelled bad and musty to top it off.
If you are looking for a relaxing stay, do not stay here. If you want to party all night and not get any sleep, and you don't care about looking at dumpsters and walking on moldy carpet, then go for it.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank sistergoldenhair
Reviewed February 21, 2008

Can you imagine your hotel staff walking in on you and your spouse without knocking during an uncompromising position in bed? Well, it happened to us during what should have been a day for romance called Valentine's Day. When we informed the management, they offered us the following:

1. A free bottle of champagne: I guess to help us celebrate a very embarrassing moment of our life. An obvious no thanks.

2. A free future stay at the hotel: After the feeling your privacy was just violated? I am guessing one incident is not enough in case we need more? Another no.

3. A complimentary meal for two which we graciously accepted.

Overall, I was very disappointed how this crisis was handled because the same manager/supervisor (named Ashley) who offered us the above-mentioned was also accusing us of not hearing the knock on the door. BTW, she continued to argue repeatedly via telephone that the staff member did knock -- if you can see the room structure of this hotel, the doors are located almost next to the bed's headboard, and therefore we would have been able to take the appropriate action if the hotel staff (maid) did knock. Above all, no apologies were expressed just accusations.

In addition, be aware that the hotel is under construction. They are in the process of rebuilding their roof deck which means prepare to hear loud excruciating noises between the hours of 8am-6pm (4 1/2 hours before your check-out and 3 hours after check-in). I guess it would have been nice to inform their customers in advance because I was looking forward to have a drink up there to watch the sunset and NOT hear a symphony hammers being pounded on the deck.

What a complete disappointment!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank NicMon
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I stayed at this property for 4 days on a business trip to Orange County. I wanted a change from the usual corporate hotel, and the hotel website touted this property as a "bed and breakfast." In my experience, it was more like a youth hostel. I would strongly recommend against staying here.

The price does not include breakfast, or even coffee service. The "Deluxe" room I occupied was clean, but sparse and very small. It included a queen bed, and a side chair. That's pretty much it. No closet, no desk, no central air, no coffee maker, no tub (stand-up tile shower only).

This property seems to have a bit of an identity crisis between its roles as a hotel and a local restaurant/bar/catering spot. It seems to depend more on the latter, to the detriment of hotel guests. The lobby was "moved" twice during my four-night stay, once for a holiday, and once for a wedding. During those times, I had to ask where the lobby went, and felt out of place as a hotel guest, as opposed to a local partyer, etc.

The staff, while well-meaning, is composed mostly of teenagers, and is fairly unsophisticated, and creates a service experience similar to that of your local Applebee's.

I suppose that the rather low price should give away the fact that this will be fairly no-frills, but I was disappointed by the lack of amenities commonly found at b&bs, or even at boutique hotels.

Location is good (on the main drag of LB), and room was clean, but other than that, it was a disappointment.

Stayed: February 2008