“So Disappointed”

Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Scottsdale, Arizona
“So Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Was excited to return to LCdC and was SO very disappointed! We had been here before the recent 'remodel' and it really takes away from the charm of this beautiful hotel. Also, when arriving into our room I immediately noticed the smell of a cheap (sickly sweet) carpet cleaner product. It didn't smell 'clean' at all it was like the product that was used was to cover up a dirty carpet. Also up on the rooftop bar, there were tables marked 'reserved' for anyone willing to pay $150.00 to reserve them??? I've never heard anything so ridiculous! Shouldn't it be first come first served and if anything is reserved, SHOULDN'T it be for the PAYING guests of the hotel?? The bed was comfortable, but it was one of those will a bottom sheet coming constantly untucked because it was too small, so much of the night was spent trying to straighten it out. Will definitely not be back.

1 Thank Tina E
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
We are so sorry to hear of your disappointment in our recently renovated rooms. We replaced all our carpets and have them cleaned regularly, and are sad to hear of your assumption that we are trying to cover up dirty carpet with a heavy scent, as this is not the case. We have discussed your comments with our carpet cleaning company, and will be trying a different carpet shampoo next time.
Our Rooftop Lounge is first come, first serve. Tables with a reserved sign on them are actually reserved by guests who paid the reservation fee of $150. We typically only have 2-4 paid table reservations on any given night, leaving the majority of tables open to everyone. The Rooftop is a very popular place for both locals and visitors alike, and is especially crowded during holiday weekends. We apologize that this was an inconvenience during your stay.

Charlotte Gulley
Guest Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
seoul
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We booked this on the net the night before arrival on the recommendation of a guide book. Hugely disappointing. The very small room looked onto a wall and the mustard deco was SO depressing. We had a quick drink on the roof terrace and tried to book a table for the evening. Apparently you CAN book a table but only if you pay and do it well in advance. It's mobbed by locals. You're staying in the hotel? Tough! Same for the restaurant. We hadn't thought to book but a nice waitress found us a table on the balcony. Noisy as it was on the street it was probably a better deal than the very noisy restaurant. Good food though and very reasonably priced. Breakfast was okay but for those of us who are ecologically sensitive the plastic plates, cutlery etc. were a disappointment. Wouldn't ever stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear of your displeasure in the interior design of our Deluxe guest rooms. We are a historic property in Laguna Beach, originally built in the 1920's. We recently completed the renovation of all our hotel rooms and have chosen to maintain the Spanish themed decor and color scheme to remain consistent with our historical heritage.
Our Rooftop Lounge is indeed very popular with locals and travelers alike. We keep the Rooftop Lounge as "first come, first serve" in order to allow everyone, including our spontaneous guests, to enjoy the view. Our restaurant, K'ya Bistro, is also one of the city's most popular dining spots, attracting a very energetic crowd. Reservations are definitely recommended, as our food and great prices can't be beat.
Your feedback regarding our included breakfast buffet are appreciated, and modifications to our presentation are under discussion. We are also devising a new system to favor our valued hotel guests who would like Rooftop Lounge reservations.

Thanks again for your candid comments. We wish you happy travels!
Charlotte, Guest Services
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I am sorry to say that overall, our stay at the La Casa del Camino was a disappointment. I knew this was an "historic" hotel, and so was not expecting the larger, modern rooms of many present-day hotels. I knew the rooms would be smaller, and although they were pleasantly updated (comfortable beds, attractive comforter, new carpets, new tile and shower in bath, nice-size TV mounted high on wall so you could see it easily from bed), they were dark and just too darned small and narrow to be comfortable. These are definitely not rooms for families, but only for singles or couples who are comfortable sharing a bed in cramped quarters. It was hot, and the free-standing air conditioner unit barely did the job. My son and I, staying in separate rooms, both had to have our units serviced at least once. There were ice buckets in the room, but getting ice was somewhat of a hassle, as I saw no ice making machines anywhere. Went down to the lobby to ask for ice in the afternoon, and the woman at the front desk sent me to the woman in the restaurant who was taking phone reservations at the time and told me to go back to the woman at the front desk. I told her I had just been there, and then she somewhat reluctantly went and got me the ice. If getting ice is such a hassle, why have ice buckets in the room? Also this hotel is extremely noisy. I don't think it matters much where your room is located, from the other reviews I've read. Our rooms faced PCH, and if you are trying to sleep with your window open (which we had to do when the AC wasn't working) it was very difficult to sleep. Other main complaint was the rooftop bar, where it is nearly impossible to get a seat. I thought it was supposed to be for hotel patrons, but it gets filled with locals and from partiers from all over. Although there is a fantastic view up there, it is a major disappointment that you cannot stay at this hotel and easily find seating up there to enjoy a drink. Also, the bar closes relatively early in the evening (I think it was 9:30), again a disappointment. Another negative was the buffet breakfast, which although adequate with bacon or sausage, scrambled eggs, pancakes or french toast, hot cereal, breads, fruit, yogurt, coffee, milk and juice, was not replenished often enough. Scrambled eggs were sometimes all gone or dry and nearly gone, breads and rolls picked over, no more bacon and/or no more fruit. On the plus side, most of the staff was very friendly and hospitable. I appreciated the historic nature of this hotel, but I'm afraid I was just too uncomfortable in the small warm noisy room to ever want to stay here again or to recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I'm so sorry to hear of your disappointment in your recent stay at our hotel. It is true that our Deluxe rooms are quite "cozy" and you were correct to point out that these particular rooms are not for families, but rather for singles or couples who will be sharing a bed (king or queen size beds are the norm in our Deluxe rooms).
Regarding our Rooftop Lounge, yes, it tends to be extremely busy during the late afternoon and sunset hours, most especially during the summer beach season. Our Rooftop is open on a first come first serve basis, and is not exclusive to only hotel guests. Table reservations can be made in advance for a fee, as is true for most trendy or prominent lounges and bars. We apologize that this was an inconvenience during your stay.
Your candid comments are appreciated and your feedback will be utilized as we continue to strive for total guest satisfaction.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here for 4 nights. We couldnt have enjoyed it more. The room was perfect with a nice view of the ocean (even from the bathroom!), the staff was VERY polite and helpful, the food at the restaurant was great, the rooftop bar was out of this world, the free FULL breakfast every morning was more that we had hoped for, the location was the perfect walking distance to downtown Laguna, the hotel had a ton of character...not a bad thing to say about it. This was by far one of the best trips we have ever had and a large part of it has to do with this Hotel. We even left one of our pillows there and they offered to mail it back FREE of charge!
Amazing place, highly recommend it and definitely recommend spending a few extra $$ on getting one of their nicer rooms, very worth it. THANK YOU La Casa del Camino!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review of our hotel. We are happy to know you and your wife enjoyed our unique little gem as much as we do :)
I'm glad you have received your forgotten pillow... I know I can't sleep without mine. It was our pleasure to send it back to you.
We hope to host you again next time you visit beautiful Laguna Beach!

San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

First things first...you have to take some of these other reviews with a grain of salt. If you want a shiny new hotel then stay somewhere else. This is a hotel built in the 20's, (as it says right on the website). It has character, charm and a classic style.

This was my first stay at this hotel and I have to tell you, I was impressed.

First off the star of the hotel is The Rooftop and it was awesome. The view was amazing and it appears to be the place to be seen in Laguna.

The rooms were fantastic, (we stayed in the Billabong suite) but the service was what really stood out at this hotel. Everyone from the front desk, the rooftop servers, the maids...were pleasant and helpful.

Last but not least, the food at K'ya was exceptional. They do small tapas style dishes and I HIGHLY recommend the Ahi Poke and the Truffle Risotto. Their chef, Craig Connole is a genius.

I highly recommend this hotel and I look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Try the surf suites
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Your comments and commendations are very much appreciated. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Billabong Surf Suite. We have many other uniquely designed rooms and hope you might have the opportunity to check them all out!
Your compliments to the hotel, restaurant and Rooftop staff have been passed along... Thank you for your enthusiasm!

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is a hard one to write. We had a nice time in Laguna and the hotel didn't take away from that. But compared to other places I've stayed recently...I was hugely underwhelmed with this place. First...we stayed in a themed, beach view room that was really cute...the Billabong Room. The first impression was a great, big smile.

But the room wasn't clean. Our first night (of two) I even ASKED the front desk to have housekeeping get the cobwebs off the light fixture in the bath and vacume the room--and they DIDN'T!!! (The second time I mentioned it to the hotel manager...she didn't even say 'sorry.' Just said she'd see it was handled before the next guest.)

Then....the room offers either an option of a wall AC unit, or open windows to hear the surf and get fresh air. So of course, in the evening you choose the open windows. However, right below is a small street (with houses on the beach side). And it seems that the hotel can't be bothered to have their restaurant's delivery trucks come after 6 or 7AM. So you are wakened to the city's garbage trucks at 6-7AM on Thursdays, and the food delivery folks starting 7AM on Friday. Really noisy...even though you think you paid for ocean view.

The rooftop deck is amazing....views and drinks. In the afternoon, people who know the 'situation' simply come with their Ipads and steak out a table. Then, they wait for their friends to arrive. So hotel guests and people who are there wanting a quick glass of wine or appetizer...unless they wait until after dark. But I guess the hotel doesn't seem to think it might be worthwhile to have a hostess for the tables...and the bar stools for the rest. I don't know. But we went 2 evenings and realized that you'd have to come around 4-4:30PM if you wanted to grab a table and meet friends for drinks.

Then...the restaurant is simply amazing. Food and menu are so interesting and good! But that doesn't count for the breakfast at this 'Bed and Breakfast.' Breakfast reminded me of a Doubletree Inn--not even as good. They put out paper plates, paper cups and PLASTIC utensils! There is nobody around to ask for anything. There is a toaster and some bread. No pastries or anything like that. There is some granola cooked cereal in a slow cooker. There's a hot plate with scrambled and some pancakes. There's a canister of coffee (paper cups) and some juice in bottles to pour. No fresh fruit. No service or help of any type. Not a B&B breakfast format for sure.

Parking lot is up the street. Cramped..and 1/2 filled with some storage Pods.

More I think about it...after the initial appearance of the stylish room....this place is a great restaurant, and a pretty poor hotel.

Oh...one, last, small thing. Don't even think about using the mirror in the bathroom between 4PM and dark. The sun comes in the window that's too large next to the mirror. It's blinding. There's no way to put on makeup or blow hair dry until the sun sets over the ocean. Design flaw not to have that window tinted or any kind of shade.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy0328
Thank you for writing your review of our hotel. I'm so sorry to hear of the frustration with your room upon your arrival (housekeeping service and sunlight from the bathroom window); these have been directly addressed and discussed with all responsible parties. Our guest's experiences and resulting feedback are very important to us and we sincerely appreciate your clear points and honest opinions. Your feedback is currently being utilized in our internal meetings as we strive to continually improve our service and guest experience.
We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to host you again, and to show you our true vision of this little gem in Laguna Beach.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

The first room we got was dark and dingy with little light coming through. The walls were unsettling colour and did not feel homely. Windows were small, and the curtains were dirty. The floor boards smelt vile (echoing similar comments by other people)
We requested a room changed, and it was no different to the first one. The area where the bed was located was barely big enough to walk around in both rooms.

The price of this hotel was similar to a 4* elsewhere, even after discount. However in our opinion this does not come up to standard advertised.

The only thing the hotel has going for it is, the bar on the terrace.

My suggestion would be to stay elsewhere, but come visit the bar.

Room Tip: If you choose to use this hotel, despite bad reviews- my only recommendation is ask for a room with...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment with your room. La Casa del Camino is a historic property and we offer many different room types, however, the larger rooms with a view are typically booked earliest. You may be correct in stating that our prices are similar to a 4 star property elsewhere (in another city), but I'm sure you found that all prices in Laguna Beach are very different from hotels located in other cities, as Laguna Beach is very unique. (Typical 3 star hotels in Laguna Beach range from $400-$600 per night in the summer!)
We are happy to hear you were able to appreciate the beautiful view from our Rooftop Lounge. Thank you for your candid comments. We wish you happy travels.