All reviewsrooftop bardownstairs restaurantsmall platesrooms are smallspanish styleliterally stepsacross the streetboutique hotelocean viewfree breakfastbreakfast roomwatch the sunsetresort feethe entire staffprivate beachbeach towelsart galleries
Reviewed April 3, 2012

You can't beat the location, view, or vintage hotel charm of La Casa del Camino. However, our room was incredibly tiny, and very uncomfortable. Our bed was small and rickety. The bathroom was small with no tub. For a hotel on the beach, not having a removable shower head made it impossible to wash the sand out of our shower! We had a room facing the main road, so I'm assuming that the ocean-side of the hotel is probably much nicer. Also, the hotel staff seems much more concerned with running the rooftop bar than they are about their hotel. We got stopped constantly and warned about the "long wait at the bar" when we were simply just trying to go back to our room. The rooftop bar has a stunning view, but as would be expected, is always crowded. The location was the best part of our stay. Walking distance to food, coffee, and delicious pastries just down the street to the right! There is also the most amazing nursery just a block or so down the road. But most importantly, it is STEPS to the beach. Literally, steps. My best friend and I spent our entire trip on the beach. We even took dessert there and listened to the waves in the middle of the night. The hotel staff will give you beach chairs, towels, and large umbrellas for free, which I thought was a very nice touch. In a nutshell, make sure you spend the extra cash on a nice room if you want to stay here. For what we paid, the room was pretty bad.

Room Tip: Spend the extra cash to get one of the nicer, more recently remodeled ocean-view rooms, otherwise don't bother.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Chelsea P
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2012

Dear Chelsea P,

Your review is very much appreciated. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that you were able to take full advantage of our great location. I love that you took your dessert down to the beach at night to listen to the full power of the crashing waves ~ that's one of my personal favorite things to do as well!
Your suggestions have been noted for internal review. We thank you for your candid comments and look forward to hosting you again, next time you visit Laguna Beach (in one of our surf suites!)

Warmest Regards,
Charlotte Gulley
Guest Services

Reviewed March 30, 2012

A really unique property, with the unique atmosphere (and quirkyness) of a heritage hotel. The surf-themed rooms are really neat. Bedding and pillows were great. All facilities worked fine (air-con, shower, good water pressure). Found it to be very quiet and had a good sleep both nights (and I am a poor sleeper). Location is super -- can walk everywhere -- don't need the car at all. Roof top bar is a must -- go for happy hour. The restaurant off the lobby is also excellent. Staff was very friendly and helpful and made our visit special. This place has atmosphere and charm which makes it special. It is not your "Holiday Inn at the airport" type place, which means there are compromises (parking is not adjacent to the building, it is an old building so it doesn't have that "brand-newness" which some people like), but that is part of it's charm to us.)

Room Tip: Get one of the surf themed rooms -- nice architectural details and materials that you don't see in the average room. These rooms will likely be quieter as they are away from the highway.
Reviewed March 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday weekend. We loved our renovated room. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was great. Free parking is an added bonus. The rooftop can't be beat for the view and for the mojitos. We had wonderful service and everyone was very friendly. We ate lunch on the rooftop and loved it. We enjoyed our dinner at K'ya, but thought it was terribly loud. We would definitely return and request the same room. (Queen partial view) We were not disappointed at all!

1  Thank trennedy
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I made my decision to stay at this place based on the location (close to downtown Laguna (10-15 minutes walk) and the rooftop bar.

It definitely has an old-world feel. If you are only used to new American hotels, you might be disappointed (as I have seen from a few reviewers). It is older, smaller, more quaint and without many of the amenities many want. But, it had character and felt very European.

Our room was smaller than you might expect, but I usually just use my room for sleeping, I don't need a lounge. There was plenty of space for sleeping, getting dressed and a little drinking before I headed out. (A bit of an oddity - no public ice machine, but the staff was super quick bringing ice up - maybe 5 minutes max.)

I liked the window in the bathroom/shower that opened outward. It gave the shower an outside feel. I kept it open all weekend.

The staff was great. I never had an issue with anyone that was not super helpful. They even brought beach chairs & umbrella to the beach for us.

Free breakfast was great - eggs, bacon, french toast, oatmeal, toast, and more. Saved big $$$ in pricey Laguna.

Loved the roof-top bar - even though it was crowded. I thought the mojitos are over-hyped (one lime wedge???), but the mai-tai was yummy!

A few complaints: I did not particularly think the bed was very comfortable. Others in my party disagreed, but I did not sleep soundly. The light on the ceiling fan kept turning on at night - it appeared impossible to have the fan on while keeping the light off (not the biggest deal). The parking was bad. There is a place to drop off your bags, but the parking lot was small (filled with construction equipment and non-guest cars). Staff said they are not allowed to tow. I could not get my rental into a space (due to tight space) at least once.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room. But, each room had its own character - this place is far from standard.
1  Thank jonts74
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

Thank you for your detailed review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the boutique European ambiance that we strive to create for our guests.
Your candid compliments and your suggestions are very much appreciated, and have been passed on to the appropriate staff and departments of the hotel.
We appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to host you again!

Warm Regards,
Charlotte, Guest Services

Reviewed March 5, 2012

My daughter and I recently spent a long weekend at this hotel and it was beyond lovely. Our first night we spent in one of the newly renovated rooms in the old part of the building. It was a charming room however it was recently painted( I'm assuming in the past couple of days) because we both had a reaction to the smell of the paint. The next morning I informed the desk about this situation they showed us other rooms that were available and graciously upgraded us to one of the suites--We had the Roxy suite it was adorable and comfortable (if you can book a suite they are worth the money). The hotel location is great you are right on the ocean and have access to the beach from the hotel as well as close to restaurants and shops. Will definitely return next time we are in town. The entire staff was wonderful but thank you to Norma who was beyond helpful and a friendly face!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family