“Sweet little spot with lots of character”
Review of La Casa del Camino

La Casa del Camino
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Sweet little spot with lots of character”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

So, upon booking this hotel I was a bit nervous. Some of the reviews were sketchy to say the least... load noise, rude service blah blah blah. Our stay at La Casa del Camino was nothing less than perfect. We were in town for a long weekend and found its location to be fantastic. Restaurants, shops and beach were minutes away by walking while the service and staff were totally accommodating.

The atmosphere of the hotel was a great mixture of historic and contemporary. The bar downstairs was super inviting with a nice fire and live music for chilling in the evening and the rooftop bar was perfect for bloody mary's mid day in the sunshine! As for our room, we booked one of the surf suites which were a bit pricey but I got a deal from an online hotel site for 30% off the booking price. We were psyched for the deal but found that full price would have been so worth it if you can pull it off. The suite was the Billabong Womens room and it was unique, sleek and cozy all in one. Like no other hotel room I've stayed in. The added bonus...we even got to bring our small pet! We will be going back there next year for sure on our annual trip to Cali. I totally recommend you check it out.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Dear Amelia E,
Thank you so much for your kind comments. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much! We appreciate your recommendation on booking the beautiful Surf Suites - they are definitely worth the upgrade.
We look forward to seeing you again next year!
Charlotte, and the staff at La Casa del Camino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed November 30, 2011

My wife and baby and I stay here just about every trip we can make through Orange County. We have had a great experience every stay. The staff is friendly, personal, and always go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need. Lots of great perks... discounts at local restaurants, free water/towels/chairs for the beach, free yummy breakfasts, room upgrades, etc. The atmosphere is private and quiet, despite it being a local hotspot in the rooftop deck and restaurant. The best view in town from the rooftop deck/restaurant, and the menu and food is amazing and affordable. Just steps from a private beach, and walking distance to all the downtown shops.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Todd C
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that La Casa del Camino is your favorite getaway! We sincerely appreciate your repeated business, and look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!
Kind Regards,
Guest Services, La Casa del Camino
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Laguna Beach is maybe the most European style Beach city in California, other than Carmel, and this is a cool place to stay if you enjoy European sensibilities over chain hotel sterility. It's small, but not too small, and it's a great blend of old-school quirkiness and modern upgrades. Located just above a famous yet obscure OC surf spot, with a beautiful beach half a block away. Walking distance to downtown, and lots of restaurants and galleries. Great restaurant/bar areas inside. Really reasonable rates for an ultra hip pad in Laguna... And I know cause I used to live in Laguna Canyon while working in the surf industry. This is where the non-tourists go, because it's the coolest place in town. Yeah, you have to drop your bags off before parking (across the street), but that's another European quality, it just adds to the charm. And no, I do not work for them. This is where I go when I visit. It's rad.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view. For sure. It's one of the nicest beach areas in SoCal. The ocean's clean...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Dear Miksurf,
Thank you for taking the time to post your pointers and opinion. We are happy to know that you love our charming European-styling and quirkiness, great location and reasonable rates! Your recommendations are greatly appreciated, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Warm Regards,
La Casa del Camino
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My partner and I love Laguna Beach and La Casa del Camino Hotel. Wow what a great time we had for my partner and I 20th anniversary. Katy gave us a wonderful suite with an ocean view and a complimentary bottle of champagne. (Actually Norma Chose the room for us 322 her favorite) As always Norma and Katy treated us well. We also had cocktails at the Roof Top Lounge which was fantastic. Great views wonderful bartenders and servers. We had dinner down stairs at K' ya Bistro for the first time and it was one of the best meals we have had in Laguna. We ended the night in front of the huge lobby fire place talking to new friends and having a glass of wine.

Room Tip: Ocean View 322 Love it
chicago32
Reviewed November 7, 2011

My fiance and I are planning our wedding in Laguna next year and were looking for a place to stay with our guests. We were excited about staying here because it looked so cool on their website. The "convenient" parking was our first bad experience. It is across Pacific Coast Highway, so we had to drag our bags across the busy street. Not only that, but the parking is a joke. The lot is so tiny and the spaces are so crammed I had to get out and direct my fiance into the spot every time.

We checked in and asked to speak to the woman who coordinates room blocks and weddings but she was not there. We were told our room was in the basement and to take the stairs down to get to our room. The halls smelled old and musty and the floors creak VERY loudly. When we got to our room, we literally laughed out loud. Was this a joke? It was the smallest hotel room I've ever been in. There is no closet, just a built in with a few hangers. The TV is about 13" and from the early 90's and mounted to the wall. The remote didn't work so we had to call to get a new one. That didn't work either so we had to get up to change the channel each time. I tried to open the window to get some fresh air and it was being held closed by a rusty nail. The bathroom was freezing and the window in there was moldy and the paint was falling off the walls. I called the front desk to see if we could stay in a larger room on a higher level. We are from Chicago and wanted to see the ocean!! They said no, they had nothing available. Then they called me a few minutes later and said they can a suite available for an additional $150/night. We thought we would just suck it up. I wish we would have left and stayed somewhere else because it was THE WORST night's sleep I've ever experienced. I couldn't believe it. Also, the bar and lobby stay busy until 2am which means every guest in the hotel has to listen to drunks running around the halls and walking up and down the creaking stairs. They also have public restrooms for the bar which are right outside the hotel rooms. It was a nightmare... I was literally in tears knowing I had spent so much and couldn't even get a good night's sleep, and couldn't even open my window to get fresh air. This hotel obviously makes money on their bar and restaurant and doesn't care about their hotel guests. It was disappointing and I will never be back. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There are tons of other great hotels in the area for a lot less money, which I'm sure don't have cob webs above the bed, mold, and a loud bar to try to fall asleep to.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank chicag032
Northridge, CA
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I booked this hotel after seeing an episode of Real Housewives of OC. It was for a birthday weekend for my husband and thought it would be a great romantic get away, especially the rooftop bar. Well, we never made it passed the lobby. After checking in, we decided to check the room before lugging in our luggage. Great thing that we did. The room was small (our closet was bigger), the furniture was old, the carpet and window treatments were dated, and an old "grandma" smell wafted through the room. There was a 15" LCD on a little dresser, a squeaky bed, and nightstands. We did not even bother to check the bathroom. We asked for an upgrade and was shown a larger room but everything else was the same including the grandma smell. We ended up staying at the Best Western across the street while Expedia booked us in another hotel. After reading other' raving reviews, I believe that the hotel is all that they claim to be: "wonderful stay", "great spot in Laguna Beach", and don't doubt it. But I guess those guest stayed in the updated rooms, which I did not know about., We will probably give this hotel another chance as it is extremely cozy, trendy yet not pretentious, and I totally agree with one of the guess that the staff is very customer-centric. BUT wewill definitely get a renovated suite.

Room Tip: Request and book for renovated rooms
1 Thank JMillerNorthridge_CA
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the standard room originally booked. La Casa del Camino offers a wide variety of guest rooms; the favorites being the 10 recently renovated Surf Suites. I would like to note that we are currently undergoing a renovation of our smaller standard guest rooms with completion estimated by the end of the year. Having been built in 1929, some of our standard guest rooms are indeed quite "cozy," but are very clean and comfortable, offering a more authentic historic hotel experience.

We look forward to hosting you in one of our Surf Suites... I'm confident you would find these rooms to be exactly what you had in mind. Thanks again for your candid comments!
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I was very excited to stay at this hotel. We stumbled upon it in February when we went to dinner at K'ya (the restaurant in the lobby). It is such a cute hotel. THe lobby has a "spanish cozy" feel to it and we loved the food at K'ya. So when we got the chance to come back, we jumped on it. I was expecting the small rooms, but when we walked into our room, it felt like a step back in time. The bed was hard and the sheets were incredibely uncomfortable. I had heard there were rennovated rooms and had asked for one, but there wasn't one available. I think it would have been a very different experience if we had been able to get a rennovated room.

That being said, you can't beat the location, restaurant, and rooftop bar. It was great for one one night in Laguna, but I wouldn't have wanted to stay more than that in the room we had.

1 Thank sdtraveler0607
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoy our hotel and restaurants, and hope you choose to return so you may check out our Casa Surf Suites or another of our many great room options. It is true that some of our economy rooms are "a step back in time," and we are currently undergoing a renovation of our economy rooms on the first floor (below the lobby level). We are always striving for improvement in all areas of the hotel and I would like to encourage you to call us if you have any questions regarding updates in room types, or upgraded room availabilities.

Your comments are very much appreciated!