“Worst nights sleep ever!!!!”
Review of La Casa del Camino

La Casa del Camino
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed here on the last night of a long weekend in Southern California. Pros - location is great for the beach, probably 100ft away down some steps. The rooftop bar is a very cool place to hang out, however can get pricey outside of happy hour. The lobby and bistro/bar are also nice, staff are helpful and friendly.. However, our main con was the inability to get even a few hours straight sleep.

We had a bottom end room, small but clean-ish with no view. The bed was unbearably hard with protruding springs that poked with every movement, the most uncomfortable I have ever been on and no better than sleeping in a field on a sheet. The window a/c unit sounded like someone starting up a hot-rod every time it cycled to cool, waking us up until I came far enough out of a half sleep to get up and switch it off. Then, at 4am, the elevator alarm started going off. According to the employee that I tracked down after getting dressed and wandering around the hotel, it does this if someone uses it in the night!!
Such a shame as this could be a great place, it seems attention to some of the more important details would go a long way, rather than trying to create a aesthetically pleasing hotel and a profitable bistro and bar.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank matthew f
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2011

I am so sorry to hear about your sleepless night. We have looked into your comments about the room you stayed in and I am happy to inform you we have since replaced the air conditioning unit and we have ordered a new mattress for that room.
Regarding the elevator alarm, it does not go off simply when someone uses it at night. The alarm only sounds when someone pushes the alarm button. It is upsetting that someone would activate any alarm without cause during the night, and we are sorry that happened during your stay.

I would like to invite you to contact me directly with any questions or concerns regarding your recent stay.

Charlotte, Guest Services
guestservice@casaresortsinc.com

Reviewed September 28, 2011

We stayed here for our Anniversary and it was the perfect night away. Everyone of the hotel staff were very friendly, helpful and welcoming. My husband planned our stay as a surprise for me, and the whole staff helped him coordinate the stay. We came to our room to find a complimentary bottle of wine, they chilled our champagne and set it up with toasting glasses...
the room was clean and cozy. We especially loved the rooftop sunset view. I told my husband this is where we will stay everytime we need a quick, local night away. Love, love, love the location, decor and staff makes it all special!!

Room Tip: we had a basic room because we live in San Clemente, but if you are traveling from out of the area...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

Dear cheri o,

It was our pleasure to host you during your special weekend. We love to help out with the little extras, and we're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Looking forward to hosting your next great get-away!
The staff at La Casa del Camino

Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife and I just stayed at La Casa del Camino in Laguna Beach and had a wonderful experience. The hotel has been beautifully restored at its great location on S. Coast Highway at Cress Beach. All the rooms have been decorated with different themes and our room had a wonderful ocean view. The staff here are very friendly and accommodating, looking out for our every need. Even more impressive is the dining options at La Casa del Camino. Do not miss a chance to have breakfast or lunch at the Rooftop Lounge, which has an panoramic view of the Laguna coast. The food and drinks are fantastic. You will also want to dine at their K'ya Bistro which boasts great food, great drinks, terrific staff and a great value with tapas style dinning. Be sure to make reservations for dinner at K'ya Bistro as it is very popular and busy every night of the week. K'ya's also the best Happy Hour in Laguna from 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm every night of the week. Staying at La Casa del Camino also includes a complimentary breakfast every morning, complimentary beach towels, chairs and umbrellas. In addition, your stay includes access to the Art of Fitness & Spa just a few blocks north of the hotel. Bottom line, if you want great food, a wonderful staff, a perfect Laguna Beach location, wonderful and unique accomidations all at a great value then La Casa del Camino is the perfect place for you.

3  Thank Hop-Skip-Trip
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This hotel was absolutely fantastic. We have just got back yesterday after staying here for the last 4 days of our 2 week holiday in Los Angeles. The hotel is right behind a lovely, quiet beach only a 10 minute walk into the gorgeous centre of Laguna Beach, with plenty of shops, bars and restaurants along the way. The area is super safe and we felt completely comfortable both thru the day and at night.

FREE Parking is provided across the road from the hotel where they'll give you a ticket to place on the dash.

The room was small but super clean and very cosy. It was a nice change actually from the other hotels in L.A. and Vegas where they are a little more generic. This felt more homely.

The restaurant downstairs is also great and we ate here two of the nights as it was so good. It is so good that even the locals come which means it can get quite busy so reservations are recommended unless you don't mind waiting. Of course, you could do what we did, and go have a drink on the roof top terrace, the only one in Laguna Beach I believe, while you wait. They served drinks and small bar snacks and is a must for the amazing sunsets!

All in all, a great hotel which we will certainly come back to and highly recommended.

We drove to Disneyland one of the days of our stay and it only took 40mins. We got there for it opening which we highly recommend as it did get busy after lunch.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I stayed at La Casa Del Camino for one night on my road trip to San Diego, and I have to say that I was pretty impressed for such a boutique hotel. When I made my hotel reservations I decided to splurge a little by staying at a hotel that was right on the Pacific Coast Highway and just steps away from the beach. This hotel had both requirements fulfilled plus free parking, high-speed Internet, great service, and a cozy room.

The hotel is located on the corner of the highway, which, at this point, is a two lane road through the small city of Laguna Beach, and a cul-de-sac. The cul-de-sac is very short, and ends up at the top of the stairs to Crest Beach, which is a quiet and not-as-busy area. I recommend laying out close to noon for great sun and fresh air. The hotel is also located just steps away from a lot of restaurants.

On the other side is the parking lot for the hotel. Parking is free for guests, but if you don't get there early, you probably won't get a spot. If not, the hotel will direct you to park behind a friendly business where they will not tow your car if it has the hotel tag, but you have to move it in the morning. I recommend driving up a couple of blocks where you will find free parking without the risk of being towed.

The hotel itself was very charming with its colonial Spanish style architecture. The staff was great! They were always very friendly and very accommodating. They even let me borrow a towel for a couple of hours after I checked out.

The room was small but very comfortable, and I really liked the large window that let in cool air and plenty of street sounds. The bathroom was very small but clean, and it only had a stand up shower for those wanting to take a bath. Other rooms may have a larger bathroom to accommodate this luxury, though.

I woke up very refreshed, and to my surprise, they had a great breakfast that was free! I've stayed in plenty of places that had a continental breakfast, but I wouldn't classify this as that because the food seemed to taste a lot better with eggs, cinnamon pancakes, hot syrup, yogurt, and the best oatmeal I've ever had. There was also plenty of fruit juices and coffee. To top it all off, you can take it up to the rooftop deck where you get a great view of Laguna and the beach.

I would highly recommend this hotel, and I am definitely looking forward to my next visit here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for your review! Your compliments regarding our complimentary breakfast have been passed on to the kitchen staff; they really appreciate your kind words. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Warm Regards,
The staff at La Casa del Camino

Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed at La Casa del Camino for 6 nights and had a really great stay. Let's start with the advantages: an incredible staff! We received the best service and their staff is by far the friendliest in the area. Their beach service is incredible!! Chairs, towels, umbrella... all at our convenience. We have never seen beach service like this! Another advantage is the location...only steps to a great beach. The continental breakfast is very good, hot and a nice variety. The roof top restaurant is awesome as well, perfect view! Now, the downsides...yes the rooms are smaller than normal, but we didn't mind. A bathtub would have been nice. Laguna Beach is noisy! We enjoyed sleeping with the windows open but the sirens, cars and people on the street made it difficult at times. Other than these few downsides, this is a great place to stay. The hotel has tons of character and is very unique...definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Our stay here was perfect. The rooms are small, but you have to remember this a old hotel with alot of character. The rooftop lounge and bar is perfect for a drink and a bite to eat, the view can't be beat. The location is great. The stairs to the beach are right behind the hotel and the free shuttle to town is two blocks down. The food in the restaurant is great, but you should make reservations. The entertainment in the lobby is nice. I can't wait to go back. I have noticed the changes the owner has made between this year and last year. The manager was on site making sure things were taken care of and the desk staff was very nice and accommodating. I notice this year they added a complimentary breakfast for hotel guest.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
CasaResortsInc, Guest Relations Manager at La Casa del Camino, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2011

Dear Mary W,

Thank you for your review! It was a pleasure to host you and we are happy to hear you continue to enjoy staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Warm Regards,