“A Wake up call is needed for this place!”
Review of Madison Square

Madison Square
Ranked #70 of 179 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Firstly one should write a review after a cooling period to be accurate and without emotion. 4 days after having a breakfast on a Sunday with the wife on a date, I expected a great meal. I am still incredulous how an operation can be so lax. Firstly a $35 breakfast for two is high (they charged me for toast but did not tell me upfront) if quality is not there. I felt like I was at State Fair. It took a long time for the meal (2) to come out and I was there at 8am opening. When it did arrive the hashbrowns were French Fries. The Omelet of my wife was runny and not cooked well and she gave it a 3 out of 10 for taste. The presentation of Smuckers Jam thrown on top of my eggs was not pleasant. Removal of that and the squared packaged butter plus the fruit touching the poached eggs could have been rescued if a great hashbrown was in order. But remember I was served French Fries that were soggy. They rave on the menu about the coffee and lets face it Italian coffee is being now served by most Laguna Breakfast Eateries so that presumption is hard to swalow! It was self serve and out of a thermos-enough said. Bottom line I hear Urth Cafe is opening next door so this place will not be frequented by anyone with taste especially if you know the quality of Urth Cafe in Beverly HIlls. I also hear the owner is running for city council. Oh oh!

2  Thank edward b

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have a monthly breakfast at Madison with a dear friend. We select this restaurant because of the setting which is all outside seating and the delicious food. The restaurant is an old 'Laguna Charmer' house that has been turned into a shop and restaurant. So many of the restaurants in Laguna Beach neglect to keep the old work charm and historical values to the properties but John (owner) has maintained the rustic wooden floors, windows and esthetics. You will have to order before you sit down and they bring your meal to your table. I never fail to buy something unique from the store so often a breakfast can cost you hundreds of $$$. Not open for dinner. Closes at 3pm and closed on Tuesdays (please check).

Reviewed June 17, 2014

discover this place from rooftop conversation, the day before and we were surprise that we enjoyed the food - order the vegetable omelet , packed FULL OF VEGGIE and delicious, ricotta pancakes plenty and ok [ could use more lemon zest ], not as good as hotel front desk rave, yet tasty - self-serve coffee cart..

but it's the setting among trees ! shade and sun and larger that you think area for sitting, but very crowded around 11:00 am on Sat am ! line going out door to order, and line to 1 toilet BR .

and everything for sale if you're looking for gardens accessories - ponds, gnomes, kick-knacks, windchimes, etc

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We came to this restaurant for breakfast since it had such a great atmosphere. It has whimsical garden art for sale which was fun to look at while waiting for our food. You order in advance and then the food is delivered. I had the eggs benedict which was good, but the fries with it were not that great. Not quite sure why fries are on the breakfast menu. I would check to see if I could get fruit instead. People enjoyed sitting outdoors with their pets.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Madison Square and Garden Cafe is just a short walk from The Tides Inn where we were staying. It is a cafe set in gardens around a converted house. The gardens and house are full of yard art and the surrounding gardens with trees. orders are placed at the counter, they give you a number and you find a table. Self serve coffee and tea. The food is fresh, local and plentiful. We were there on a Sunday morning so it was very busy, with tables hard to come by, and the service slow. But the wait was pleasant with so much to look at, sun shinning through the trees, and other diners to talk to, it didn't matter. We will definitely go back again.

1  Thank bettysbest