“Amazing Rum List, Amazing Hospitality”

Eva's Caribbean Kitchen
Ranked #58 of 173 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2014

I had an amazing dinner at Eva's this weekend on a quick OC getaway from LA. Eva herself was there to talk Rum with our table, and the food was delicious. I felt like I stepped away from Laguna Beach and found myself on vacation in this colorful, charming little restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Eva's Caribbean Kitchen

Reviewed June 29, 2014

So, I went to Eva's last night for a birthday dinner. I've been meaning to get to this place for a while so it seemed fun for a special occasion. None of us had eaten here before. We had a reservation at 5:45 and were seated promptly.

Ambiance: The place is adorable! It loved the decor with the bright colors and candles. I felt transported to an island restaurant.

I ordered the guava mimosa since I never miss a chance to have guava juice....or sparkling wine. Mix them? Perfect!

I LOVE jerk chicken but decided to go for something different in terms of meat. I ordered the jerk steak and my husband got the jerk loin. My friend had asked if the jerk was spicy and we were informed that this seasoning was made in-house. It crossed my mind at that moment to switch one of our meals from my beloved jerk but I didn't. I'm not from the Caribbean so I'm not sure how authentic it is/was but I did not like the seasoning at all. One spice stood out and it threw off the cohesiveness of the flavor for me. It just wasn't outstanding. I'm accustomed to Cha Cha Cha's jerk and I'm partial to that. Like I said, maybe that's not so authentic but I was disappointed. I barely ate my steak or pork (we split the meals). I was disappointed in the rice/pea combo as it was bland and we only got 1 small plantain. What? Considering the cost of the meals, I would have expected to get a few. Even Habana in Costa Mesa can load you up on plantains for a lower price point.

For dessert, I got the coconut creme brulee. It was creamy and unique.

At 7:40, Eva came to our table to tell us that we had to leave and that the next group was waiting outside. I was a bit turned off by this, although I do understand that this must occur sometimes. I would have appreciated being told 5 minutes before that our time was closing in order to prep for the next group instead of being asked to leave. I was embarrassed, and I really don't like being embarrassed unnecessarily. I am always conscientious of leaving my table when I see a line but there were several open tables so it didn't hit me although we were about to get up.

On a hospitality standpoint, I would have appreciated an introduction or formal greeting from Eva since she was walking around. She came to our table once holding a baby and chatted but never introduced herself. If the owner is going to mingle, then I think it's proper to introduce yourself.

Overall, very cute place and some delish items on the menu (per friends). For the distance, parking, and cost, I probably won't be back any time soon.

1  Thank DnllJns
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Yes, this is a gem for South Laguna. Certainly worth the stop and dinner.

Three of us started with the crab cake, coconut shrimp, and spicy shrimp. All were very nice. Although, the spicy shrimp didn't really need to be so spicy. We love spice but the heat was lingering and didn't add much to the dish. (I wouldn't get them again).

We enjoyed the sea bass very much as has been written up here. Definitely get it. As well we had the salmon - just fine, nothing unique.

Lovely drinks. Slow service. Great Waiter. Nice evening.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Eva is awesome! Friendly service and delicious food and drinks. 365 varieties of rum to choose from. All of our dishes were well cooked and delicious. Jerk pork loin and jerk salmon were both incredible. Restaurant is small and casual. Make sure to call ahead and they'll do their best to fit you in. Warning: kitchen closes early on week days ~9pm

Reviewed May 16, 2014

We have been visiting this cozy Caribbean restaurant in Laguna Beach for the past 5+ years. Eva's kitchen consistently delivers! .. Spicy Caribbean Shrimp appetizer made in Eva's own concocted sauce is a must try for anyone who enjoys "extreme" heat! ... All the rum cocktails are amazing - Pink Punani gets two thumbs up. Menu is small but authentic and service warm and friendly.