“Expensive and average”

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Nye's Place
Description: The word Tabu is from the Polynesian Tongan people's tongue and means, "Set Apart," which sets the tone for this unparalleled restaurant located in Laguna Beach. When you walk into Tabu Grill, you find yourself in a lush oceanic oasis of blues, exotic purples and aquamarines. More lush than its interior is the food, a highly-sought after "foodie" menu prepared by Executive Chef Kenny Raponi and his sous chefs in an open kitchen that allows you to watch the magic come together on every plate. A multiple award recipient, Tabu Grill received Zagat's coveted "Extraordinary to Perfection" score year after yea
Laguna Beach
“Expensive and average”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have dined three times at this restaurant and each time I have been overwhelmed by the prices but not overwhelmed by the food. Most recently my wife and I joined a friend for dinner. My pork chop was perfectly cooked but accompanied by an overly sweet succotash. My wife's chicken was swimming in a soupy "risotto" that was overly cooked and dominated the chicken. Our friend just wanted the gnocchi appetizer as an entree...which the server said could be done...but the portion was tiny. His butternut squash soup was terrific...the best dish served. He bought a bottle of wine and we were charged a $25 corkage fee that the server said...in an argumentative manner...was the standard for Laguna Beach....NOT. Tabu seems to be trying to create some sort of mystical vibe but should be lowering their prices and increasing the quality of their dishes....

• Visited January 2013

Cypress, California
“Good but pricey”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a nice dinner. Its a smaller place, kinda dark but we thought it was a bit pricey and could have done without

Visited June 2012
Dana Point
“Exceptional experience”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Small place right on the PCH. Food is exceptional, as is the service. We so enjoyed our Christmas Eve dinner and have since gone back for their tasking menu--3 course for $29.00 with the options to add wine pairings for only $10.00. Great deal.

• Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Expected a lot, got less”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I expected a lot. This place has a high Zagat rating and some nice reviews. They did not live up to what I expected. The place is ridiculously dark and it is weird to see everyone using their cell phone to illuminate their menus. The food was very good ... no better. My wife's miso fish was tasty but nothing I could not have cooked myself. My ribeye steak was properly done (med rare) but totally unseasoned. And it sat on a bed of black rice that was tempting to look at but nothing special in my mouth. As I said, I expected more from the reviews.

• Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Incredible Food!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a restaurant not to miss if you visit Laguna Beach. The decor and atmosphere is interesting and different, but what makes it is the food. Beautifully presented, and masterfully prepared, the Polynesian influenced dishes stimulate your taste buds and bring a smile to your face! The combinations of ingredients at first glance may seem odd, but do they ever work! These chefs are top notch, and not afraid to experiment. We will have to come back.

• Visited October 2012