“Great Value, comfortable, clean, great location!”

The Tides Laguna Beach
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Henderson, NV
“Great Value, comfortable, clean, great location!”
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I was really concerned about staying at The Tides because it is not the type of place we usually stay, however, we wanted our vacation money to be spent on the vacation, not pricey accomodations. I was pleasantly surprised by The Tides. The reviews were correct, it is charming, and a great value. We stayed in the largest room, 212, and it had an ocean view, separate bedroom, kitchen and living area. It was like a little apartment. The pool, which is saltwater, was great - no chlorine smell or dry skin. We could always find a chair at the pool, unlike many of the other places we have stayed in the past. We walked everywhere right from the hotel, and didn't miss room service and such as we were outside almost the entire time anyways. I would definitely stay there again. Not a lot of extras, but a clean, comfortable and absolutely worth the money room.

• Liked — The ambiance of the room - very cozy.
  • Disliked — No bathtub, just a shower, although the water pressure was great!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank suzyq221

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta
Reviewed July 9, 2007

The rooms were very large and very clean. Staff was very nice and helpful-same ladies were working both days and i think they own the place. Definitely a good choice if you want to be close to town but don't want to spend a ton of money-we walked eveywhere and it was right behind a beautiful park. I asked for a late check-out and they let me stay until 2:00pm. Can't beat it!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AtlantaJanderson
Orange County, CA
Reviewed May 8, 2007

Above average dog friendly place to stay. My husband and I and our large dog stayed for a weekend in May because our dog loves the beach. It is Ideally located and reasonably priced (for Laguna Beach). This is not an upscale, luxury hotel experience - it is a simple, nice, small motel. The rooms have been recently redecorated and are clean and pleasing - they range from small to quite large w/ kitchenette. The manager was accommodating and friendly. There is traffic noise, but it seems to be problematic only for room(s) closest to PCH. In my opinion, this may not be a great romantic getaway, but it is a great getaway if you are looking for a dog friendly place within walking distance of beach, shops, restaurants, etc. Note that Laguna Beach enacts very restrictive beach access hrs. for dogs from June 1 to Sept. 15 - otherwise, they are allowed on leash all the time. There is a $25 nonrefundable pet fee, but parking is free. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Dog Friendly, Location
  • Disliked — $25 nonrefundable pet fee
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Orange County
Reviewed April 8, 2007

I held my first human resource team meeting at the Tides Inn Februrary 12-14th. They are a small boutique Inn, and I was taken aback by the beauty and uniqueness of their rooms. Each had it's own theme - and this played well into my team theme for the meeting, which was elevating the experience of our customers - both internal and external - and making each one unique. They were beyond accomodating - even removing the beds from their large suite to set up a meeting room for us. It had pleanty of space and it's own kitchen. The staff supplied both lunch and dinner recommendations for us - which were fabulous - we had lunch poolside. They also supplied a fabulous continental breakfast - even coming in to refill our coffees. Valentine's day was unsurpassed with little heart shaped melons cut out - and into the plums. Some of us got up in the morning and ran along the beach. All in all - it was a great setting - both from a personal and professional perspective. We will definitely have our next team meeting with the Tides Inn. Just need to make sure that we book soon enough - as they have some loyal patrons - and just 21 rooms. I had searched several of the larger chains - beach side - and just didn't get the personal feel and accomodations that I felt at the Tides Inn. I just can't say enough about Dale and Cathryn. It was great!!

• Liked — The uniquessness - and beauty of each individual room - and the staff
  • Disliked — no exercise room - but, we ran on the beach
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank dopio
Reviewed February 23, 2007

I was just thinking about Laguna Beach and how we loved our 2 night stay there in September. I promised myself I would do a review on Tripadvisor right after our trip but I completely neglected to do one...now here I am in February writing a review for a hotel I stayed in during September -- but we had such a great trip that I felt the need to write this review! We want to go back to Laguna! We stayed at the Tides Inn for 2 nights in September - so there was not a lot of activity in Laguna after all the tourists had packed up and left right after the Labor Day weekend--however, it was still a great trip. We had a wonderful stay at the Tides Inn. Part of what we loved about the Tides Inn was the charm -- we have stayed in lots of great hotels over the years but this was just a quaint little motel with a lot of character. The pool was very refreshing after a hot day at the beach and we loved how we could park our car and walk/explore the town of Laguna. I would definitely recommend this hotel for people who want a nice get-a-way -- we will definitely be back sometime in the future!

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Nothing...it was exactly what I expected
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redsoxrule2003
Bozeman, MT
Reviewed October 20, 2006

After reading the reviews I thought we were in for a great stay in a great town. We are from rural Montana and are used to roughing it, but wanted something nice for our annaversary get away.

The Tides is a noisy below average road side motel. The highway kept us up all night and when we did fall asleep an emergency vehicle would pass by with sirens howlin.

We expected to be on the ocean, but were not. We expected a view but had none. We expect a great experience but had a great let down.

We did check out other options, and there are many but all were sold out so we could not move. I suggest you look elsewhere is you want to realy enjoy Laguna because the Tides was the only low point in our vacation.

Kim

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Tips/Secrets — Look elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank SalinMontana
Florence, MA
Reviewed October 15, 2006

What The Tides Inn lacks in opulence, it way more than makes up for in unique character, friendliness, charm and value. We are a family of 4 (two kids--7 and 4) and we went with two other families. Here's what we liked:

Location: It's directly across from a lovely beach with a gorgeous walkway that gives spectacular views of the ocean. It's within short walking distance to all the downtown shopping. Restaurants and a supermarket are also within walking distance. Parking at the hotel was free.

The Pool Area: It has a nice, clean pool that the kids loved. There is a nice bar (you BYOB) with a very large stainless grill. Another feature we really enjoyed was a lovely fireplace stocked with plenty of wood and a beautiful sitting area with large outdoor couches, and an oversized coffee table that provided a perfect large conversation area for folks to congregate. We met other nice folks staying at the hotel and had a grand time. Best of all, many of the hotel rooms are facing the pool area allowing us (the adults) to socialize and visit and keep and eye on our hotel room while the kids slept.

The Rooms: while not fancy, every room is different and has it's own charm and were all comfortable and clean. We had a kitchenette (which was great), another family with us had a fireplace, and the third had neither, but all three had their own layout and decor.

The Staff: The folks who run this are first class. They are some of the kindest, most laid back , and "down to earth" folks I've encountered. You deal directly with the owners and their business partners. They have great suggestions and are very accomodating. In a pinch, they even lent me a tie when I forgot mine and didn't realize it until 30 minutes before I was supposed attend a wedding ceremony.

I reccommend Thd Tides Inn without hesitation. If we ever return to Laguna Beach, we will absolutely return to The Tides Inn.

Othere recommendations: For breakfast, check out The Penguin Cafe (on Pacific Coast Drive). For lunch & supper & great beer, check out BJ's. From entrees to pizza, they rock.

Stayed September 2006