“A great place”

The Tides Laguna Beach
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed April 25, 2008

My wife and I drove round California/Arizona for one month in January/Feb of 2008.
We didn’t have a room booked in Laguna Beach so we headed to Tides Inn on a LP recommendation. It is on the main road but there was no problem with noise.
We got a really nice room as the lady said there was an internet special for a three night stay. The room was great, clean and spacious. There is a nice pool and this in betweent the road and the rooms but it is quite private and the atmosphere is very relaxed.
On our first night the people upstairs were bery noisy 2 kids running around - we mentioned this the the manager and he moved them whihch was a nice touch. Tides Inn is a great place to stay

Stayed: February 2008

Reviewed April 6, 2008

Our family of four (two teenagers) stayed for four nights at The Tides Inn. We travel extensively as a family and have come to prefer unique, tasteful, and clean properties as opposed to overpriced resorts that can make you feel ripped off for what you get in return. I'm pleased to see that our kids have come to the same conclusion, and after only a short time there, they both gave The Tides Inn their stamp of approval.

We had a second floor room which included a large bedroom with two queen beds, sitting room, and kitchen. This was the perfect set-up for our family. My husband and I are early to bed and early to rise. My kids, being teens, are the opposite. My husband and I were able to have coffee in the morning in the sittting room, and my kids slept on undisturbed in the bedroom. Likewise in the evening, we would go to bed, and the kids would use the sitting room to read or use their laptop (WiFi is painstakingly slow, our one complaint).

The location is wonderful. Yes, we were aware of traffic noise when we first arrived, but really didn't notice it later, especially when the AC was on. There are many residences nearby, and those people are obviously able to live with it. For people wanting absolute peace and quiet, it may be better to go away from the city area. We liked the area for walking. After coffee, my husband and I walked everywhere when the town was still sleepy. We walked all throughout the town and along the beach. As a previous reviewer has said, two blocks north is a market and coffee shop, two blocks south is the beginning of the retail and restaurant downtown area, and about 1/2 block west is the beach and ocean.

One day we took a short 1/2 hour drive south to San Juan Capistrano to relive a visit I had there as a child. It's even nicer now. The gardens and grounds are beautiful. You are given a personal recording device for your self-guided tour of the old mission. We all enjoyed it. We then drove north to Newport Beach, walked the pier, and had lunch at Charlie's Chili on the boardwalk.

Another day, my husband and daughter walked to the art museum and hit all the galleries while my son and I drove up to the Newport area to kayak.

Every day we walked the beach exploring the tide pools. If we didn't walk to Laguna's beach, we drove the short distance north to Crystal Cove State Part where the beach feels more remote and untouched. My son loved the pool area at The Tides and lay out almost daily. We had one meal out every day, and made use of the market and kitchen at The Tides for our other meals. It was great having a full-sized refrigerator for groceries and to keep leftovers from our restaurant meals to snack on.

In summary, The Tides Inn is a clean and comfortable place to stay. It is in a great location. You can park your car (for free) and leave it, or drive a short distance in almost any direction to another great OC destination.

2  Thank BNice3
Reviewed March 28, 2008

My sister and I took our girls for Spring Break. What a great little motel. It was so clean and the owner is wonderful. I found myself hanging out on our front porch or at the pool, instead of going to the beach. It was great. We will definately be going back. It was a very short walk to the main heart of Laguna. We walked everywhere, uptown a couple of blocks was a Starbucks, Gina's Pizzeria and a grocery store and downtown was shopping, dining, beach, etc. Great location.

Reviewed March 26, 2008

I didn't book anywhere in Laguna beach because of the reviews on all of them were up and down. So I figured I'd just stop somewhere. Well it was here. I never noticed any road noise, and we were in room 107. Rooms are very small,parking is very small. The rooms were cute, and very clean. The grounds were also clean. Staff seemed nice. I'm not real fussy though. Price was cheaper in person than what I found on any travel website. $119.00 for a double room. Wifi didn't really work, but I did find a neighbor of the hotel that had an unsecured signal. That worked fine.

1  Thank kcsims99
Reviewed February 23, 2008

I read the reviews noting the traffic noise from Coast Highway, and when making our reservation I asked to be as far away from the highway as possible, and Linda the owner, assured me in room 105, we would be fine. We arrived, and we weren't expecting luxury digs, and at first glance when we checked in at 5pm, the room seemed fine. We were also travelling with our two dogs.

There was no bathtub in the bathroom, and I just wanted a relaxing soak. I'm flexible, but when I got out of the shower and used one of their towels, I almost screamed in pain as the towels were so threadbare and raw. I reminded myself that we were paying a very reasonable rate of $149 in a very expensive resort town, and air dryed.

The hubby and kids all settled in to go to sleep, and with the windows, and door closed, it felt like the Indy 500 was roaring through our room, and by this time it was 11pm, when traffic was dying down. Not only the Indy 500, but our neighbors were watching their tv, and it was rather loud. Three calls to recpetion finally seemed to get that problem solved, but beware the walls are very, very, thin. Alas, we got no sleep at all because of all the noise from our neighbors and highway. Perhaps an investment in double paned windows would be a wise investment for the owners.

Tried to use their "free wi-fi," what a joke. As previous reviewers noted, it was very slow, and sporadic. No wonder its free, it doesn't work!

We checked out first thing the next morning and went to another hotel in the area where we could get some sleep. For budget travellers, this could be a great deal in a very expensive resort town, if you bring earplugs, and your own towels. The owners were very nice and accommodating when we said we would be leaving early. If the owners spent a little more $$ to soundproof the place, we would most certainly come back.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 1JetSetGal1
lifegoesbyfast, public relations manager at The Tides Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2010

While we understand the basis of your complaint, it may have helped to have checked a map of Laguna Beach before checking in. Most of the businesses and hotels are located along Coast Highway, the main thoroughfare that runs through the town. It is true that a venue as close to the beach as we are can be a noisy place, as can any hotel on a busy street. May we suggest packing earplugs if you are a light sleeper when faced with a night in an unfamiliar place. Many residents who live near the highway use earplugs as needed. We get complimented frequently on the comfort of our bed linens and towels, the quality of the beds, the cleanliness of our rooms, and the obvious loving care that goes into the maintenance of our inn; all this for a price tiny in comparison to other, less charming lodging choices in Laguna Beach. Come back and visit us again - we maintain that The Tides Inn is still the best value for your lodging dollar in Laguna Beach.

Reviewed January 20, 2008

We stayed at, The Tides Inn, Just before Christmas.
It is the most darling little place.
Just three and one half blocks from the down town area.
The rooms are all very cute. They have a cottage feel to them. My husband and I had a very nice room with a very comfortable king bed, down comfortor with a beautiful white duvet. The pillows were very nice too. I asked the manager Catherine where I could buy the same matress and pillows. She was very helpful in giving us the information.
Catherine, was the nicest person. She made you feel like you were family. She helped us with all of our barage of questions, where's a store, pharmacy, places for a good breakfast, dinner spots? She even took time to show us a city map and marked places of interest for us.
Our housekeeper Esther, was so nice. She was really wonderful at keeping our room looking spotless. She even ironed a shirt for my husband. Not many places like that anymore.
We think, The Tides Inn is a wonderful bargain.
Before we left Catherine showed us some of the other rooms. They were all darling. I notice that some reviews complain about noise. I did see the three rooms that were on the highway side and while inside I closed the door. It was not to bad at all. I say if you are a light sleeper ,just request a room off the highway and you will have no problem. We are thinking of getting a whole group together and staying at The Tides Inn. It is extremely well maintained insde and out , the price is excellent for Laguna Beach and the staff is very accomodating. All pluses!
We will be staying there many more times.
Thanks Tides for giving us a very pleasant experience.
Mary Ann and Chuck

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChuckySeattle
Reviewed November 2, 2007

When our entire town was evacuated due to a wildfire, my parents and I and my cat stayed at the Tides. I was very pleased that they allowed me to keep my cat in the room. They also gave us a reduced rate because we were fire evacuees.

The manager, Cathryn, was very nice and understanding of our situation. Since we didn't know how long we would have to stay it was
a day by day reservation. She allowed us to stay in the same room for
all of the 5 nights that we were there.

Our room was really like a one-bedroom apartment with cute decorations. My parents had their own room and I slept on a day-bed in the kitchen area. The kitchen was equipped with a table and 4 chairs, microwave, coffee pot, toaster and refrigerator. It was also stocked with dishes.

The swimming pool was marvelous and clean. The pool area had comfortable chairs, couches, a BBQ and fireplace.

Our room was facing PCH, but the traffic sound was blocked by a cinderblock wall. It was a very quiet neighborhood across PCH from the beach.

The manager, Cathryn, and staff gave us a cheery and comfortable place to stay. We will visit again!! (But, not with the cat.)

Stayed: October 2007