“A Little Bit of Heaven”

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Seattle
“A Little Bit of Heaven”
Reviewed January 20, 2008

We stayed at, The Tides Inn, Just before Christmas.
It is the most darling little place.
Just three and one half blocks from the down town area.
The rooms are all very cute. They have a cottage feel to them. My husband and I had a very nice room with a very comfortable king bed, down comfortor with a beautiful white duvet. The pillows were very nice too. I asked the manager Catherine where I could buy the same matress and pillows. She was very helpful in giving us the information.
Catherine, was the nicest person. She made you feel like you were family. She helped us with all of our barage of questions, where's a store, pharmacy, places for a good breakfast, dinner spots? She even took time to show us a city map and marked places of interest for us.
Our housekeeper Esther, was so nice. She was really wonderful at keeping our room looking spotless. She even ironed a shirt for my husband. Not many places like that anymore.
We think, The Tides Inn is a wonderful bargain.
Before we left Catherine showed us some of the other rooms. They were all darling. I notice that some reviews complain about noise. I did see the three rooms that were on the highway side and while inside I closed the door. It was not to bad at all. I say if you are a light sleeper ,just request a room off the highway and you will have no problem. We are thinking of getting a whole group together and staying at The Tides Inn. It is extremely well maintained insde and out , the price is excellent for Laguna Beach and the staff is very accomodating. All pluses!
We will be staying there many more times.
Thanks Tides for giving us a very pleasant experience.
Mary Ann and Chuck

• Liked — It was extremely clean and staff was very helpful.
  • Disliked — We stayed only two days, I wish it could have been longer.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChuckySeattle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 2, 2007

When our entire town was evacuated due to a wildfire, my parents and I and my cat stayed at the Tides. I was very pleased that they allowed me to keep my cat in the room. They also gave us a reduced rate because we were fire evacuees.

The manager, Cathryn, was very nice and understanding of our situation. Since we didn't know how long we would have to stay it was
a day by day reservation. She allowed us to stay in the same room for
all of the 5 nights that we were there.

Our room was really like a one-bedroom apartment with cute decorations. My parents had their own room and I slept on a day-bed in the kitchen area. The kitchen was equipped with a table and 4 chairs, microwave, coffee pot, toaster and refrigerator. It was also stocked with dishes.

The swimming pool was marvelous and clean. The pool area had comfortable chairs, couches, a BBQ and fireplace.

Our room was facing PCH, but the traffic sound was blocked by a cinderblock wall. It was a very quiet neighborhood across PCH from the beach.

The manager, Cathryn, and staff gave us a cheery and comfortable place to stay. We will visit again!! (But, not with the cat.)

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank NockieT
Aberdeen,Scotland
Reviewed September 11, 2007

We stayed in the Tides Inn for the final 5 days of our Nevada/Californian trip.

I have a very mixed review. On checking into our accommodation we were told that we would be staying in one room for 4 days and then moving to a second room for our final night. I was really dissapointed about this and felt that we should have been informed as we had booked the hotel directly with the owner by e.mail.

The room itself was very tastefully decorated with a separate bedroom and a small kitchen area. We had one of the rooms next to the Highway but were not bothered by the noise at all. The small pool looked inviting with some childrens toys available, although we did not use it as we love the beach. The hotel is a little walk from the shops but there is a free reqular shuttle bus service.

When we first went into the bedroom of our apartment there was a terrible smell of sweaty feet, initially I thought that the smell was in the carpet. On the morning of day 3, to my horror I realised that he terrible smell was coming from the sheet!!
We asked for this to be changed immediately and the terrible smell disappeared.
I do not think this would be intentional as the rooms were very clean, I think that it is more likely to be a house keeping error, but not very pleasant for us!!

All together this is a very pleasant place to stay for the price, the staff were very helpful with recommendations for restuarants and places to go etc.

Would I recommend it to my friends - definitely!

Laguna Beach is great place, stuffed with fantastic places to eat and interesting people to watch!!

• Liked — tastefully decorated - sweet!
  • Disliked — The sweaty sheet!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank _Diane_060
Milan, Italy
Reviewed September 6, 2007

The Tides Inn consists in a Lodge providing a familiar, friendly service to his guests.
The place itself is charming, with a very nice (and deep!) pool, free parking, and a basic breakfast (coffee + fruit) which is a plus on top of the kitchen every apartment is equipped with.
The Tides is on the way, coming from Laguna (3 mins walk) to the best beaches, better than the popular, central one.
Prices are reasonable, also in high season (I stayed on late August, when all the art exibitions are open) and the atmospheare is really pleasant.
Just a very important hint which must be mentioned: if you book in advance, be SURE you are not given an apartment - there is just a couple of them - on the Pacific Coast Highway: an excellent vacation can turn into a nightmare because of the noise.
In every other internal accomodation, I definetely recommend this place, which I believe is perfectly suitable to both families and couples, of any age.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank Assenzio
California
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We booked 2 nights at the Tides Inn (not our first choice). We didn't mind a long walk to the beach or to restaurants, but we were placed in a room next to the 4-lane, very busy, extremely noisy Pacific Coast Hwy. and I mean virtually on the street. It's the main entrance to town and has traffic all night long so with no insulated windows- roaring noise. Amenities consisted of bar soap and a bottle of shampoo. Hairdryer had to be requested. Only coffee served in the tiny registration lobby. Expensive for no sleep, no amenities - but, if it matters, the small room was nicely decorated.

Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank francenut
Henderson, NV
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I was really concerned about staying at The Tides because it is not the type of place we usually stay, however, we wanted our vacation money to be spent on the vacation, not pricey accomodations. I was pleasantly surprised by The Tides. The reviews were correct, it is charming, and a great value. We stayed in the largest room, 212, and it had an ocean view, separate bedroom, kitchen and living area. It was like a little apartment. The pool, which is saltwater, was great - no chlorine smell or dry skin. We could always find a chair at the pool, unlike many of the other places we have stayed in the past. We walked everywhere right from the hotel, and didn't miss room service and such as we were outside almost the entire time anyways. I would definitely stay there again. Not a lot of extras, but a clean, comfortable and absolutely worth the money room.

• Liked — The ambiance of the room - very cozy.
  • Disliked — No bathtub, just a shower, although the water pressure was great!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank suzyq221
Atlanta
Reviewed July 9, 2007

The rooms were very large and very clean. Staff was very nice and helpful-same ladies were working both days and i think they own the place. Definitely a good choice if you want to be close to town but don't want to spend a ton of money-we walked eveywhere and it was right behind a beautiful park. I asked for a late check-out and they let me stay until 2:00pm. Can't beat it!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple