“Great view! Big dollars. Excellent service. ”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Studio

Studio
Reserve with OpenTable
Studio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 169 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Good for: Business meetings, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Montage Resort Drive & South Pacific Coast Highway
Description: WITH A PANORAMIC OCEANFRONT LOCATION AND MODERN FRENCH CUISINE WITH CALIFORNIA INFLUENCES, STUDIO IS THE PORTRAIT OF BEACHSIDE INDULGENCE A refined and inventive menu reflects masterful attention to detail accented with an elegant, creative touch. Since its debut in early 2003, Studio at Montage Laguna Beach has become a culinary destination for discerning gourmands and oenophiles alike. Set on an oceanfront bluff in the artistic village of Laguna Beach, Studio is designed to captivate the senses. Ocean breezes, panoramic views and lush landscapes create a refreshing sense of place at the water"s edge and a fitting backdrop for the shared enjoyment of fine food and wine.
new york
“Great view! Big dollars. Excellent service. ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014 via mobile

Montage is the top spot. Perfect service. Crazy wine list. Best view in that area that we saw. Food was very good If u want to go all out. Go there. Bring a camera !

MauricioSouzaDoR, Director of Rooms at Studio, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to Studio at Montage Laguna Beach. I am very happy to learn that you were pleased with our service and enjoyed your dining experience. I'm glad that you found the views spectacular and hope that you will join us again soon.

Gratefully,

New Jersey
“#1 Best SoCal Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is my 225th review. I really wanted my review to be something special so I held this one from my July 4th weekend.

As you can see from my previous review of the Montage’s Loft, this was my second visit back to the beautiful Montage Resort. The Montage is set on an oceanfront bluff with sweeping panoramas of the Pacific Ocean and striking Craftsman-style architecture. This luxury beach resort commands 30 lushly landscaped acres. My family of 5 enjoyed the views as we walked the property prior to and after our exquisite dinner.

Last time we had brunch at the Loft, but, this visit the upscale Studio was quite different and a very pleasant surprise. I am glad we decided to return and will return again and again to the Montage and the Studio.

With a 6:30pm reservation my family truly enjoyed the spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean. I stopped by the Studio to inform them my party of 7 was reduced to only 5. We had an opportunity to walk the Montage herb garden where we experienced some rare herbs. One of the cooks was hand selecting some of the herbs and flowers for dinner. We had the opportunity to talk with him.

At 6:30 we were warmly welcomed and seated immediately at a nice outdoor table overlooking the property and the ocean. See my pics from the evening. The Studio features modern French cuisine with California influences. As far as credentials the Studio has been awarded the coveted Mobil, Now Forbes, 5-Star Culinary experience.

I started with their #1 Studio Garden cocktail made with avion blanco tequila, cointreau, lime juice, lemon juice, and strawberry-rhubarb simple syrup for $18. Brandon enjoyed his Spring Fling made with Hendricks gin, lillet Blanc, rose geranium syrup, lemonade, and soda for $19. Cyndy ordered a Sazerac cocktail. The wine collection here is quite extensive. We also enjoyed a bottle of Hartford Court, Land’s Edge Vineyards 2009 Pinot Noir for $96. I should add that complimentary carbonated and non-carbonated bottled water with lemons and limes is also provided.

We learned we can intermix the à la carte menu with the chef’s tasting menu. We all opted for the 6-course chef’s tasting menu for $135. We were glad we did. This was a very comfortable elegant evening featuring fine food and service.

The 1st course was an exotic spice poached prawn escalope with carnival amaranth, garden herbs, Easter radishes, and citrus brûlée. The 2nd course was corn agnolotti with speck ham, fresh Australian black truffles, and parsley. The 3rd course was a poached Alaskan halibut with fiddlehead ferns, ramps, smoked buckwheat, and sorrel sauce. The 4th course was a venison loin with faro, sun chokes, huckleberries, and grand veneur sauce. The 5th course was malvarosa with zucchini, pepper coulis, and pine nuts. The final 6th course was vanilla butter cake with strawberries in textures, lemon foam, white chocolate powder, and strawberry ice cream. I should add that each course was served in unison by several wait staff. Utensils were also replaced in between every course. When one of my family members visited the ladies room they held up her serving until she returned to the table.

The corn agnolotti, poached Alaskan halibut, venison and the vanilla butter cake were some of our favorite courses. The corn agnolotti pasta was hearty and the truffle was not only a stunning eye catcher, but, made it taste earthy, but, not overly decadent. The poached Alaskan halibut dish with the sorrel sauce had an interesting flavor profile close to kiwi and the plating on that dish was vibrant and pretty.

Sally especially loved the dessert. In fact Sally designs and bakes her own cakes for special occasions, including weddings. See Sally’s Cakebee web site: http://cakebee.com/contact.html

As Sally said the “Six course tasting menu was perfecto!!”

Roger and his front line wait staff provided us with impeccable service, at the edge of the Pacific with some spectacular views.

My special thanks to Todd Orlich/GM and Marina Younts for my extra special dinner arrangement, which was greatly appreciated. And of course this review would not be possible without Executive Chef Craig Strong’s talents and guidance.

As you can see from my reviews I have had many dinners in the SoCal area including LA, San Diego, Laguna Beach and locations in between. The Studio was my best #1 “dinner experience” in SoCal thus far. I will return to the Studio.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Tony J
MauricioSouzaDoR, Director of Rooms at Studio, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to Studio at Montage Laguna Beach. It was wonderful to have you and your family as our guests, and we truly appreciate your engaging review. We look forward to creating more remarkable dining memories for you and hope to see you again very soon.

Many thanks,

Greenville, Sc
“Splurge and Splash”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

We flew in to So. California from So.Carolina for a surprise birthday party. The keynote event was held at Studio. The restaurant did not disappoint. It covered all the bases — friendly low-key staff, attentive but not intrusive service, fabulous location in the Montage property in Laguna Beach, elegant but not stuffy surroundings, indoor and outdoor seating was available (we chose outdoor sunset view overlooking the ocean), innovative menu, freshest seasonal ingredients, extensive wine (glass and bottle) and cocktail menu, accepted outside wine with acceptable corking fee. Overall - pricey but worth the splurge. Highly recommend this restaurant for the average person who wants to a true experience or the high-roller who is used to the best.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Tasha164
Katy, Texas
“Exquisite food with a breathtaking view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is a very romantic setting for a dinner at sun set. The staff is everywhere and nothing is left to chance. We ordered the 6 course tasting menu for 130 USD per person. We chose not to pair it with the special wines recommended by their sommelier. The venison was our favorite, but the agnolotti and halibut was also great. We did not care for the poached prawn escalope (basically a flattened prawn) that much as it was chewy and tasteless. Food was great, but the service and setting was even better.

Visited June 2014
Las Vegas
“Overpriced for you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Views- amazing, Restaurant Ambience- Relaxed Luxury, Drinks- good, Food- Ok, Prices- High.
Avoid the Lobster Bisque- its awful. The menu is small and the portion sizes are even smaller. Be prepared to order room service after you eat here.

Visited June 2014
MauricioSouzaDoR, Director of Rooms at Studio, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for your recent visit to Studio at Montage Laguna Beach. I appreciate your feedback and regret that the restaurant did not meet your expectations. Please respond to the private message I sent you as I would like to formally apologize to you and discuss the concerns you brought up.

Respectfully,