“Great food, beautiful view, a night to remember.”
Review of Studio

Studio
Reserve with OpenTable
Studio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 168 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Montage Resort Drive & South Pacific Coast Highway
Description: WITH A PANORAMIC OCEANFRONT LOCATION AND MODERN FRENCH CUISINE WITH CALIFORNIA INFLUENCES, STUDIO IS THE PORTRAIT OF BEACHSIDE INDULGENCE A refined and inventive menu reflects masterful attention to detail accented with an elegant, creative touch. Since its debut in early 2003, Studio at Montage Laguna Beach has become a culinary destination for discerning gourmands and oenophiles alike. Set on an oceanfront bluff in the artistic village of Laguna Beach, Studio is designed to captivate the senses. Ocean breezes, panoramic views and lush landscapes create a refreshing sense of place at the water"s edge and a fitting backdrop for the shared enjoyment of fine food and wine.
Orange County, CA
“Great food, beautiful view, a night to remember.”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Montage, and decided to eat at Studio. We are locals and have been to Studio many times before, but must say this is one of our most memorable experiences.

We had reservations at 630, and were promptly seated. Our server, Joe, promptly greeted us and offered us cocktails and champagne. After receiving our glasses of champagne, he went over the menu with us. There was a tasting menu that night, including prawns, halibut, rabbit and desert, that could be paired with wine. However, he let me know that they had real Wagyu (Kobe) New York Strip from Japan that night. There was also a Dungeness Crab and Ricotta Cavatelli I wanted to try.

We really wanted a tasting menu with wine pairing but weren't that interested in the preset menu that they had. Part of the fun is trying new wines with food, and we discussed this with our waiter. He came up with a brilliant idea. He was going to come up with our special tasting menu with wine from what we wanted on the menu. We started with Golden Osetra caviar, then hamachi, followed by vanilla scallops, then the crab cavatelli, lastly our main courses, Wagyu New York Strip for me, and Lamb Loin for my wife. Each course was paired wonderfully with wine. I had finished my champagne a little early, while I still had caviar (the horror!), and one of our waitstaff promptly refreshed my champagne without even my asking.

But for a special treat, my steak was paired with a glass of 1998 Opus One. I asked our waiter why a bottle of Opus One was even open to allow for single glass pours, and he just said that it was my lucky day.

During the course of the meal, we enjoyed a beautiful sunset, and staff was all too happy to oblige in our picture taking.

We finished with desert and was surprised to receive a little chocolate mousse for our early anniversary dinner.

The meal was wonderful, and it made us feel special when Joe, our waiter, made up a wine pairing and tasting menu for us. Thank you to Studio and the Montage for making this a night to remember.

ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Studio, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
I am gratified to know that your time at Studio at Montage Laguna Beach was excellent in every way. Knowing that our efforts result in guests’ pleasant memories truly makes them worthwhile, and I will be sharing your kind comments with Joe. Thank you for staying with us and for dining at Studio – we hope to welcome you and your wife again soon.

Best,

Todd Orlich

San Clemente, California
“Great food and location”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We went here last week for our anniversary and experienced perfect service and wonderful food. We still are talking about the oysters 2 weeks later! Our main course was lamb and John Dory which were both excellent.

Visited April 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Underwhelming food”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We went to The Studio for our 20th anniversary, fully expecting the high price, thus expecting something special. The view is gorgeous, service superb (Miguel made our evening), food below average, very disappointing. It was described beautifully but didn't measure up in every instance - we tried four dishes. Dessert, which we did not order, was brought gratis in honor of the occasion. We were touched by the gesture and fully enjoyed it.

Note: We were staying at the hotel and had asked for (but not given) a window table when we reserved weeks in advance. We were only "upgraded" after a reservation canceled. Be sure you specify this request.

Dana Point, California
“Special place for the special occassion”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Anniversary dinner at this fabulous restaurant. Southern California coastline is full of fancy restaurants that fail to impress and merely try to attract customers based on location / view. This was our first time at this place and we were unsure given the tall expectations of anniversary dinner but much to our delight the Studio delivered a strong performance. Service was warm and efficient. We had one of the best tables with amazing ocean and sunset views. The wine list is quite comprehensive and we found some really hard-to-find wines available in half bottles. The food was beautiful, expertly prepared and well presented. So, in spite of a hefty $500 dinner tab, we left with smiles .. and already looking for reasons to return !

Long Beach, CA
“Just okay...”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

We came here for our 10 year anniversary. They gave us a pretty crappy table, even though there were a few tables with great views available (which, by the way, never became occupied during our dinner). The food was good, but not outstanding, which it probably should be for the price. The service was good, but a bit over-the-top for our liking. We appreciated the experience, but will most likely not return.

Visited March 2014
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Studio, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Please respond to the private message I sent you. I would like to offer my formal apologies for the less-than-perfect experience provided to you. We appreciate your frank review and hope for an opportunity to redefine your impression of Studio at Montage Laguna Beach.

Respectfully,