“Turned away” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Studio

Studio
Reserve with OpenTable
Studio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 169 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Montage Resort Drive & South Pacific Coast Highway
Description: WITH A PANORAMIC OCEANFRONT LOCATION AND MODERN FRENCH CUISINE WITH CALIFORNIA INFLUENCES, STUDIO IS THE PORTRAIT OF BEACHSIDE INDULGENCE A refined and inventive menu reflects masterful attention to detail accented with an elegant, creative touch. Since its debut in early 2003, Studio at Montage Laguna Beach has become a culinary destination for discerning gourmands and oenophiles alike. Set on an oceanfront bluff in the artistic village of Laguna Beach, Studio is designed to captivate the senses. Ocean breezes, panoramic views and lush landscapes create a refreshing sense of place at the water"s edge and a fitting backdrop for the shared enjoyment of fine food and wine.
Burbank, California
“Turned away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have a second home in Dana Point and have admired this facility many times when strolling on the Montage Hotel beach promenade. So we decided to have dinner her for our sons 19th birthday. I made reservations to have dinner this evening through the Montage Hotel Dining Phone Line. The restaurant and time were confirmed and we drove down from Dana Point. When we arrived we were told that we couldn't be seated because I was wearing shorts and did not comply with their 'business casual' dress code! First the staff asked me if I could go back and change! Not quite I said after the 25+ minute drive in beach traffic from Dana Point. I was wearing a collared (polo) shirt and khaki pleated shorts but apparently this wasn't sufficient for their 'business casual' dress code. Also,because the restaurant is right off of the beach promenade i never imagined they would insist on men wearing long pants. The most infuriating thing was that when I made the reservation, the hotel staff did not even mention the dress code. Their (restaurant staff) final ' work around' was to have me wear a pair of pants they had on hand that didn't even fit me (2 inches too long) -- I guess that would be preferable to shorts that fit? We were to be seated at 5:30 when the restaurant was not very busy yet. So they offered to have us dine at their Loft Restaurant. They apologized for the fact that the Hotel staff did not inform us of
the dress code but that didn't really compensate for the negative experience. So I'm not coming back to this place.

1 Thank MitchThomas
ToddOrlichGM, General Manager at Studio, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Please accept my sincere apologies for your less than spectacular evening. I regret there was a lack of communication regarding the dress code, and sincerely hope to make this up to you. I have sent you a private message with my contact information and eagerly await your reply so we discuss amending your experience in the future.

Todd Orlich

Long Beach, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonder Anniversary Dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I went to The Studio last evening to celebrate our 30th anniversary. I pre-arranged for flowers to be at our table and asked for an ocean view too. Both were perfectly provided as per my request and it seemed that the entire staff knew it was our special day! Service was impeccable - from our water/bread server (he was fantastic!) to the sommelier, to the wait staff, all was performed in perfect harmony. We opted for the "Chef's Menu," which included six inventive courses (you can view the menu online) paired perfectly with six different wines. They also started the meal with an unexpected amuse bouche and ended it with a specially decorated "30th anniversary" dessert plate - plus a bag of sweets to take home! With a view of the Pacific that is just about the best in Southern California, paired with spectacular food and service, we enjoyed one of the best dining experiences ever. We will be back!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
/las /vegas
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

One of the most beautiful places that you could dine at! Request an outdoor table and you will have an amazing view of the Pacific and the lovely grounds. Perfect for a romantic dinner! Excellent service and good food but very pricey! I would definitely recommend this place for a special occasion. We started out with a corn soup which was very good. For our main course, my husband and I both had the steak which was good but certainly not one of the better steaks that I have had. The staff was very generous with desserts and brought us out several treats because it was our anniversary. Drinks were very good but once again quite pricey. Overall, it was a memorable and enjoyable dinner!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
California
“Studio at Montage Laguna Beach is Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

For that special occasion, try or return to Studio at Montage Laguna Beach CA. The views and ambience is tremendous. The cuisine is extremely excellent. The service is superior. We enjoyed the veal rib eye, filet, escargot risotto, and the strawberry dessert. Everything was tremendous. Great wine list and some great priced imported wines. Marnie and Raul are great servers, very very attentive and friendly.

• Visited July 2013
Irvine, California
“Love this spot! Been back a few times.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Phenomenal view, service, and dishes!

I didn't get the bill, but I can imagine how expensive it would have been. Luckily we were with our friend who is doing an article on them for this month issue. Very busy restaurant, love the atmosphere.