“Wonderful”

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Our second stay at The Laguna Rivera. We come from London just to stay here. Last year we had Room 101, this year Room 506. 506 has the most beautiful view, recently redecorated with a new bathroom. We squealed with delight. Our 3 night stay was marred on the first night by a group of rowdy men in the next room. We asked them twice to tone it down but they shouted and argued until 3.30am. We complianed to reception the next morning and the group was asked to leave immediately. I think this is my favourite place in the world.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Paula55London
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2011
Thank you so much for the warm review of the Laguna Riviera. Great reviews like this make us want to keep finding more ways to make our guests vacations even more memorable.

Im sorry you were disturbed by the guests next door, and glad you brought it to our attention. We try to remedy such disturbances as fast as possible. Im alway disappointed when a guest endures such an intrusion rather than let us know.

We will share your review with the staff and look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
El Cerrito
Reviewed February 8, 2011

I've stayed at the Laguna Riviera on several occasions, usually with family or alone on business. The location couldn't be better: it's right on the beach near downtown Laguna, and most rooms have views of the ocean. (And Laguna Beach itself is well situated between Disneyland and Legoland, our primary family destinations.)

The building is one-of-a-kind, and looks a bit like an old-time cruise ship set into the bluff. My kids love the easy access to the beach, and depending on which room we get I can often see them from our deck. The facilities sometimes suffer from exposure to the salt air, but in my experience that's true of any of the local beach hotels. The owners have raised rates a bit in the last few years, but it remains a terrific value. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank bunnybeck
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 12, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience and opinions about the Laguna Riviera. We share all reviews with the staff, and accurate reviews like this one keep them motivated and looking for more ways to increase guest satisfaction.

The Laguna Riviera is indeed a well situated beach front hotel from which to take exciting family excursions to the North or South to experience many world famous attractions. You can be at Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Legoland or the Zoo all in less than an hour, or stay in Laguna to enjoy the beaches, many tide pools, shops, galleries, and restaurants. Whatever you are looking for in your vacation to Laguna Beach, we are here to help. The front desk is staffed by family and locals who grew up in Laguna Beach. We are all here to help, offer the best suggestions and do all we can to make your vacation a wonderful and memorable experience.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience while staying at the Laguna Riviera.
Alta Loma, California
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Headed to Laguna Beach on a whim, the first weekend of December. We did not have reservations anywhere, so stopped in at a couple of different places to check availability. Most were quite expensive until we tried Laguna Riviera. Very reasonable, especially since we were staying only 1 night. Nice room. We liked the kitchenette and the the remodeled bathroom was wonderfully clean. But the nicest surprise was the fact that the room was just above the beach. We could hear the sound of the waves breaking all night long. We spent a VERY romantic night here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank we5loveireland
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am very glad that the Laguna Riviera met your needs and you enjoyed the sound of the crashing waves.

We have several guests who spent their honeymoon at the Laguna Riviera and for the same reasons you have shared here they have made a tradition of returning each year to celebrate their anniversaries.

We do provide the best ocean front prices in town and the rooms underwent a major remodel recently making the Laguna Riviera and exceptional beach front value.

Thanks again,
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed February 4, 2011

When I made a reservation in Aug of 2010 for Jan 2011 (MLK weekend), I was told that Room #401 would be closed due to remodeling. I asked if the remodeling were completed before that date, I would like to be placed on the waiting list. The receptionist said that they could do it. I reserved suite #306 in the meantime. When I arrived at the hotel that weekend, I found that Room #401 was rented out. What happened to my being placed on the waiting list? I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years (always the same weekend). I was truly disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2011
I am very sorry that after so many years of visiting and enjoying the Laguna Riviera that this valued guest has given us a 2 and has indicated that they would not recommend a property they have enjoyed for at least a decade. Unfortunately, their review has been posted without having all of the facts, or a clear understanding of the status of room 401 during their stay with us.

The facts are that room 401 was being worked on and was not occupied when this guest checked in. It was only used for one day out of the 3 day holiday, when the painters were not available, with the understanding that painting was not complete.

The room this guest chose while booking, and stayed in, room 306 has a private deck and a great surf view. It is a very popular room and in high demand.

Had room 401 been completed early and available for occupancy over the 3 day weekend, they would have received it, but it was not. The reality is that they were advised that it was closed for maintenance, they accepted another room, they were put on the wait-list in the event the room opened, and when this guest arrived at the hotel room 401 was in the middle of being painted.

I am sorry that this valued guest chose to post a negative review based on a misunderstanding of the facts and would have appreciated the opportunity to address these concerns before such a review was posted so they understood that their request was not ignored.

We provide a great ocean front value, do not ding guests for parking and other amenities, strive to meet and exceed expectations, and do all we can to make your stay enjoyable and memorable. when staying at the Laguna Riviera if you have any issues we are here to help. our many positive reviews and wonderful guests who stay year after year tell the real story.

Happy Travels
Oklahoma
Reviewed January 23, 2011

The hotel was really cute and great value for the location. The lady who works nights was very nice allowing us to park in two spaces with our large SUV when a guy took up too much room with his mega truck. The only downside was how thin the walls were. On our last night we were subject to a four second love making session from the people downstairs that left us feeling more sorry for the girl than us. The hotel is over 60 years old so thin walls are expected in a place like this. The value is great for the great location. All in all there is a good chance we'll stay here again but probably bring earmuffs.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2011
Thank you for the kind words and nice review. We listen to all comments and adopt ideas when they make sense. Even though we recently implemented several enhancements to isolate rooms from outside and adjacent sounds, in some areas, it can be a challenge.

We will be stocking the front desk with complementary ear plugs for anyone who wishes to have a pair. As for the couple downstairs they will have to seek out their own solution as I found nothing beneficial as I perused the innkeepers manual for dealing with extraordinary events.

I am just glad that the fleeting disturbance did not exceed the average TV commercial break and interfere with your good nights sleep.

Happy travels
Vicenza, Italy
Reviewed January 16, 2011

Good hotel... Nice hot pool and nice deck... Excelent location, but not very clean rooms!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Thank you for the compliments about the nice hot salt water pool and our great location. I am surprised that you did not find your room perfectly clean and would like to know which room and when you stayed.

Our house keeping staff is dedicated to providing exceptionally clean rooms and their performance is constantly monitored. Please call me at the property or email me directly so that I can better understand your experience and be able to properly follow up with the staff member responsible for your room.
Renton
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Laguna Riviera continues to be the perfect place to enjoy R&R and escape from cold Seattle. I returned December 26 - January 1 to share a very comfortable suite with my parents. Room 401 gave us ample room with lovely kitchen (with table seating 4), bathroom, private bedroom for my folks and pull out couch for me. We enjoyed the option to eat in the room or on the massive deck overlooking the beach. The location gave us the best of all worlds, room side deck for watching surfers, pelicans and dolphins for my parents and beach access for me to walk every morning and afternoon. Our ritual was to regroup for a gorgeous sunset each evening. This time of year Catalina island is silhouetted brilliantly at sunset.

This room and several others are ideal for those with limited mobility. Only a short distance from the parking lot with no stairs and you have full view of the ocean. I really like the fact that Riviera offers free onsite parking.

Not to be missed is the salt water pool. I enjoyed swimming in the evenings and appreciated that it was open for use until 11.

The roses, hibiscus and other flowering plants add to the cheerful ambiance of the Riviera. The landscaped terraces buzzed with humming birds, a treat especially for my Mom. Although there were plenty of guests enjoying their own decks, many with kids, noise level was never a distraction from the peaceful
sounds of ocean or birdlife.

We started every day off with the continental breakfast, 8:30 kickoff was ideal, since we were on vacation. The chocolate chip muffins are my favorite, so fresh they melt in your mouth. There are plenty of options, my folks like the cheese Danish with a cup of tasty peaches. We love the opportunity to bring it back to enjoy from our deck. Gave us a boost for the day without hassle of leaving resort. I think its a very generous perk considering what simply a piece of fruit costs in the market.

This remains a gem and I highly recommend for anyone who wants a charming, restful California beach getaway.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank PattiWall
Thank you for this nice and well written review. We always enjoy hearing from our many satisfied guests as they share their experience with other travelers. We strive to constantly improve, listen to all comments, and deliver a great vacation experience for all who choose to stay with us.

Everyone at the Laguna Riviera takes pride in their job. I share all reviews with the staff and this one will put a smile on their faces.