“So-so Service but great location”

Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Tacoma WA
“So-so Service but great location”
Reviewed April 7, 2006

I'd give this hotel 4 points because of the location on the beach and close to the tourist shopping, on top of very reasonable prices. The rooms are not sparkling, but for the money, ours was decent and do-able. Parking is free and there is a normal continental breakfast.

But I'm goinv this 3 points because of the poor service. Sour people who weren't at all interested in the fact that I was a guest. When I asked for directions, one receptionist wouldn't even get up from her seat, which was a distance from the front desk, to talk to me. When I asked her to show me something on the map that I had, she looked annoyed. Now, I'm a pleasant person, so it's not as though I had alienated them with any aggressiveness or demanding demeanor. They were just consistently disinterested. The fact that the place is "family run" certainly runs counter to their favor. If they were corporate, they might have higher standards.

Given that there are many hotels on that same street, I'd opt for another place next time.

10 Thank arlenejoe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Reviewed April 7, 2006

Can't wait to return. We came to Laguna for a family reunion and were fortunate enough to locate a room at this hotel. My cousin who lives in the area made the recomendation and if your looking for value and location with insane views this is the best in Laguna. I know there are fancier places but they are way too expensive. We stopped by the Montage were my very succesful uncle parted with over $1,200 a night for his room. Yes it was beautiful but I spent less than half of his nightly rate for 3 nights within walking distance of the downtown area, looking at the same ocean and had a closer view. We thought the rooms, location, public spaces and staff were all great. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2006
48 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, WA
Reviewed March 29, 2006

We were in Laguna Beach to attend the wedding of a good friend and wanted to stay in an ocean-view hotel without paying dearly. This hotel epitomizes the phrase that "you get what you pay for". The website and surprisingly, many of the reviews I read, make this facility out to be a gem. I can unequivocally state that it is not. I cannot emphasize how shocked I was when we got there. The rooms were well worn, outdated and void of any charm. The hallways were often very dark and frequently festooned with ridiculous amateurish painted murals, chipped paint on railings, old carpet, mildew smells, and an overall ambience of yuck. I can't understand the positive reviews of this place. Maybe these are folks who are not used to staying at the beach and were so wowed by the ocean that they forgot about the rest. I don't know. At any rate, I would urge anyone considering staying here to pay more and go to a different hotel. If we could have located another available room elsewhere, we would have moved in an instant. Unfortunately, every place nearby was booked and we tried to spend as much time away from our room as possible. Luckily, Laguna Beach is fantastic and the town is so much fun, that our vacation wasn't a complete loss, despite the fact that we were staying at a sub-par hotel.

• Stayed October 2005
11 Thank maki1122
Reviewed February 28, 2006

We were guests of the Riviera mid February and just loved it. The location, staff, beach, and weather were all spot on. As other reviews have pointed out this is not a new property but it is a unique boutique with all the comfort and ambiance we needed and a real bargain which left us enough in our winter vacation budget to have some first class dinners. One feature of note is the water pressure. I have stayed at so many hotels with wimpy water pressure, but at the Riviera it was every bit as good as back home. I just felt comfortable, at home and plan on returning at the next available opportunity. If all goes well it will be this summer.

• Stayed February 2006
48 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Delafield, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 21, 2006

It was out first time we stayed in Laguna Beach, usually we stay with friends. This time we wanted to be near downtown and experience the Laguna nightlife. We are so glad we did! My wife and I had such a wonderful time with our friends. The nightlife has something for everyone! We were able to walk down to the center of town and back with no problems. Do be careful though when crossing Pacific Coast Highway, the cars don’t slow down very often.

The other guests staying at the hotel were just as friendly. It wasn’t out of the ordinary to strike up a conversation with other guests in the morning who were waiting for breakfast in the lobby. Laguna Beach has wonderful coffee shops and little diners that serve fantastic breakfast burritos, within a couple blocks of the hotel, a must try!

If you are looking for an all inclusive hotel with servants at your beck-and-call this isn’t the place for you! What the Laguna Rivera lacks in lavishness it makes up for with practicality. The only time we really spent in our room was to shower and sleep. What else do you need to do in Laguna? We had access to the beach and a beautiful ocean views from one of the many spots reserved for guests in their courtyard.

The only real drawback I can think of was the parking and that wasn’t even all that bad, unless you had a Hummer. All in all we will definitely be going back and staying at the Laguna Rivera! We had a wonderful time!

• Stayed February 2006
51 Thank Markynature
Reviewed February 18, 2006

We can reccomend the Riviera to any traveler looking for a great place to stay at reasonable prices. After using a few online services to help us make a choice, we selected the Riviera and it lived up to all of our expectations. It is a fun classic feeling beach front hotel. At home We look at snow this time of year so being able to watch the sun set and wave crashing while wearing shorts was a welcome change. We were told that the weather was unseasonably warm and that it is not unusual to have rain in January and February so maybe we just got lucky. Never the less, we loved it. The rooms were very comfortable and the service was friendly and helpful. The center of town is a short stroll to the north, the beach is in front of the hotel and you get to it by walking down the hotels private garden pathway. Food is everywhere. Whatever you desire from a corner deli to fancy french we discovered that we were able to walk each night to diner and the walk back was a great way to cap off the evening. I saw the post about a mildew odor and we did not experience anything like that but in the moring there can be a very noticable scent of the ocean. We found it nice but others may not appreciate all that goes with staying right on the shore. In closing we plan on returning and believe that all but those used to five star hotels and the associated pammering will have as an enjoyable and memorable stay as we did.

• Stayed January 2006
51 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 29, 2006

If you're looking for a beach front dive hotel, this is your place. If you're looking for comfort or romance, keep looking! The decor and the bedding haven't been changed in decades. The ocean front suites are some of the worst and they have a very strong mildew smell. If you want a cheap place where kids couldn't hurt a thing this hotel may be okay for you.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business