“Beach Access Location!”

and 1 more site!
Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Best location! Best atmosphere! Everything was in walking distance (Ralph’s, Starbucks, Restaurants, and beaches). This little hidden gem is hands down one of the best vacation spots in Laguna Beach with free parking, free breakfast and beach access. This is an older property that that has been recently updated with modern finishes. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Free parking
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jaholloway
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

What a great review, short and to the point. We are glad you had a great time, honored by your comments, and look forward to your next stay with us.

Have a great summer.

There are newer reviews for Laguna Riviera Beach Resort

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I came across the Laguna Riviera online looking for a last minute weekend trip for my birthday. My husband I wanted to be right next to the ocean/beach and this place was AWESOME!! We booked room 510 with a partial ocean view and it was amazing!

What I liked:
- The VIEW! Even though we weren't looking right at the ocean, a great view was just steps outside our door.
- The price! You can't beat it!!
- The room. It was a great size with a mini fridge, microwave and a balcony! It didn't feel cramped at all and have lots of windows to open up and let the fresh breeze in.
- Hotel attendant, he was super nice and made us feel comfortable!

What I didn't like
I only have one complaint, and it's super silly...I didn't like the comforter/duvet. The material felt too rough.

Overall, if you're on a budget and want to be on the beach this is the place!! I will most definitely be back!

Room Tip: If you cant afford the ocean view, partial is just as good :) Room 510 is awesome!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joanna A

Thank you for sharing your experience while vacationing at the Laguna Riviera. Relaxing and value is what its all about and Im glad enjoyed your stay.

We strive to provide the best value on the beach in Laguna which is why we keep it simple and include parking, continental breakfast, high speed internet, beach chairs, towels and umbrellas and beach toys for the kids. Add to that there is no surprise resort fee or charge for calls within the continental US and you have a very predictable and reasonable bill.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I’m writing this review having spent two nights at the Riviera with a third to go before I check out. I have Room 407, which is not the greatest position but that’s my own fault as I left my booking very late, which eliminated any choice. Having said that, the room itself is plenty large enough, especially when compared to some of the local motel-type accommodation in Laguna Beach. The room is well appointed and has all the basic equipment, including a microwave, fridge and coffee-maker. No electric kettle but that’s pretty standard even in the most expensive American hotels. Americans don’t drink tea. Only coffee!
I found the room decor borderline dingy and it’s all to do with the dark and somewhat depressing choice of colours, fabrics and finishes. Dark wood stained furniture combined with dark brown velvet fabric on the two-seater settee are in total contrast to the exterior of the building, which exudes a fun retro-style sun, sea and sand theme with hand-painted wall murals and sky-blue and white paintwork. First impressions of the room are that it’s in need of a makeover but actually nothing is worn out or particularly run down. It just looks terribly old fashioned and the decor doesn’t hang together as a theme. Curtains, bedspread and carpet don’t go together. Nice bathroom. Good sized shower cubicle and gallons of hot water. If it had simple white tiles and chrome taps it would look more modern.
The wireless internet is unreliable in the room, which I found annoying as I needed to do some work each day and I ended up sitting in Reception to get a reliable enet reception. Help was always available from the staff and a buffet breakfast provided each day in the small reception bar area. But that’s as far as the food offer goes. Anything else and you will have to order in, or use the local restaurants of which there’s a huge choice across a range of prices.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors and ask for a room at the rear.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for your review. As we enter the Summer Season it is necessary to book early to get a premium view or room. Your room unit 407 has a small view of the ocean, and while not one of our larger rooms is over 325 sqf which is larger than an average hotel room, and this does not include the outdoor seating area. From personal experience traveling to your home town of London and staying in several hotels and high end properties, I know 407 would be thought of as more spacious than average.

Room 407 was completely remodeled in 2009. While Im sorry the decor is not to your taste I am glad you saw it to be in good shape and not worn. Many have complimented us on the new decor and the work of the designer who put it all together and I am sorry that is was not to your taste but glad you were comfortable.

While we do not stock the rooms with tea or tea pots we are happy to provide them upon request and tea is always available in the lobby during all hours we are open at no charge.

It is unfortunate that the internet disrupted your stay. We were having issues with the service provider and as of yesterday they have successfully restored full coverage and bandwidth for all of our guests. We provide internet access at no charge and like our gusts find it frustrating when its not operating at 100%.

We hope you chose to stay with us on your next visit to Laguna Beach and if you can book early recommend room 508. It has arguably the best view on the property, a private surf view deck and was remodeled this year.

Happy travel,

Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed for one night and had a room in the older part of the resort with a spectacular view over the surf. We could observe the surfers from sunrise to nigthfall and could hear the surf during the night. The hotel is really clean and nice and offers complimentary breakfast items you can take down to the tables overlooking the beach. The room we have been in had a fridge and microwave and wine and champagne glasses and there are BBQ facilities you can reserve at the front desk. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We can recommend this hotel very much.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Engadiner
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience while vacationing at the Laguna Riviera. Our friendly staff and clean rooms are just a start to make sure you are comfortable and ready for a great vacation here in Laguna Beach.

The views and surf are amazing all year round and I am happy to know that they did not fail to make your stay a memorable one. As in your room, all of our rooms include a microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator and are either stocked with wine & champagne glasses or have them available upon request.

You hit one of the many highlights enjoyed by our guests. The lawn and patio area overlooking the crashing surf featuring a pair of commercial BBQ s for guests to use preparing anything from chicken and burgers for lunch to steak and seafood dinners. We used to have one BBQ and found that it was so popular that we had to add a second to make sure everyone could be accommodated during the peak summer months.

Thank you again for the review and saying that ," We can recommend this hotel very much." Coming from a top contributor with over 162 reviews to their credit it means a lot to us.

I and the entire staff of the Laguna Riviera look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

My partner and I celebrated a birthday weekend here, so it was intended to be a romantic getaway with gorgeous views of the ocean and hopefully a comfortable stay. I must admit I was initially a little disappointed as I pulled up to Laguna Riviera by the exterior - it's dated and is a weird pink color…but after we checked in and had an opportunity to see our room, our private patio, and private lanai, I realized that this was perfect!

Check-in: quick and efficient, no issues. I do wish the lady at the front desk had provided a brief overview of the included amenities…I missed the fact that there was a complimentary breakfast and we ended up buying breakfast from down the street.

Beach views and access: We stayed in room 303, which is on the middle level of the resort. The "private" patio is really at the end of a shared patio between room 302 and 303, but, there is a chain that the resort provides for you to "rope off" your private section. With a nice little seating area, two deck chairs, it was great! The views were spectacular and we literally could walk down to the beach.

Room: key bed was really two twins, room was a bit dated but they recently renovated the bathroom and the kitchen area. It was comfortable, roomy, everything was in working order, and most importantly, clean. The kitchen was stocked with plates, glasses, and utensils; which was great because we didn't have to use my makeshift wine glasses for the champagne I had brought - we had real glasses!

Overall we were very pleased and look forward to our next stay here. We live in Orange County, CA and are often in Laguna Beach. Compared with many of the resorts, Laguna Riviera provides outstanding value by giving you awesome views, beach access, and comfortable rooms; all at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay on the first, second or third floor surf view rooms. A/C is really not...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rkwok68
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Thank you for the fine review. I appreciate your initial take on the property and headline of "Don't judge a book by it's cover". It is so true, and I'll share some history that will explain the "cover".

The Laguna Riviera is the last original family owned hotel in town. It was opened by my grandfather in 1948 and created with the architectural flavor and colors of the coastal regions of the Italian and French Rivieras. We have opted to keep the exterior in line with the original design and colors while upgrading the interiors creating a relaxing and tranquil space to vacation.

I am glad you enjoyed room 303 it is one of my favorites and has a wonderful view from the semi-private deck. If you enjoyed 303 I highly recommend you check out 508. The deck is private and the views are arguably the best on the property. Plus, if you stay when there is a chill in the air you have an excuse to enjoy the fireplace.

It is nice to hear we hit the mark of views and value in Laguna Beach. As you know they don't often go together but we strive to make the Laguna Riviera an affordable destination with no surprise charges for things like parking, internet, breakfast or added resort fees which combined can easily add another $50-$70 a night to your vacation elsewhere.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I went for a relaxing long weekend. We ended up changing rooms and upgrading and were so happy for it. Room #304. People said the room really matters and I totally agree. I wanted to sleep to the sound of the surf, wake up to see the surf , and relax on the porch. We were lucky enough to see the dolphins swim by. I have booked our getaway for next year. Happy memories.
The Hotel provides beach chairs, beach towels and beach unbrellas. Also good coffee in the morning and great muffins. The parking is also free for one car.
The hotel is located within walking distance to town, and all in all a very comfortable place.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cathy C
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for the review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed room 304. It has a fantastic view from its' private deck. You know it used to be a rare treat to see dolphins out front and now it is a daily occurrence. The rich sea life that populates our shore draws in dolphins, seals, and whales when they are migrating. Even growing up in Laguna one never tires of watching the dolphins swim by and play in the surf.

You hit on some key differences between the Laguna Riviera and many other Laguna Beach Hotels. When you arrive we do not have many of the extra or surprise charges that our neighbors add to your bill. Parking is free, internet is free, a continental breakfast is free, and your beach chairs, umbrellas and beach towels are included without any additional resort fee. Between resorts fees, internet fees and parking fees, you can easily see another $50-$70 per day added to your stay. I don't like such surprises when I travel so the Laguna Riviera does not do it when you stay with us.

Thank you for noticing the muffins. We have recently changed suppliers and after testing the offerings of several local bakeries we landed on a winner. The muffins combined with your choice of hot / cold cereals, juice, fresh fruit, coffee, milk and several tea choices make for a quick way to jump start your day. Many guests like to eat and visit in the breakfast bar while other enjoy taking their food back to the room and relaxing on their desck or one of the public ocean view areas around the property.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Got married 10-11-12 and spent out honeymoon in one of their suites consisting of one large room, king bed, sofa, love seat color TV. The bathroom is on the smaller size but as a big guy I had no problem. Our room, like most of their rooms, over look the ocean and had a balcony to sit out on so you can watch the people play on the beach and a beautiful California sunset. The place is not fancy, as I said has the taste and the charm of the 60's. Originally built when cars were much smaller, parking in their small lot is like fitting a puzzle together. Although we did not use the pool it is heated and enclosed so you can swim in the winter.

Room Tip: Their website has a description of each of their rooms, some have a/c, some have larger balconies. R...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SSW004
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for the review. We are honored you selected the Laguna Riviera for your Honeymoon. We have hosted many newlyweds, and find the sunsets, views, and location always delivers a wonderful experience and great memories. Many of our honeymooners make staying with us an annual event returning each year to celebrate their anniversary.

The property was opened in 1948 when cars were smaller and, like all of Laguna, parking is tight but manageable. The pool and Jacuzzi are both salt water next time you stay I encourage you to give them a try. Its a very relaxing and soothing experience and not like like a traditional chlorinated pool.

We wish you newlyweds a long, happy and prosperous life and relationship and hope to get to say hello when you next stay with us.

Kort