“Very nice resort on the beach”

and 1 more site!
Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed for one night and had a room in the older part of the resort with a spectacular view over the surf. We could observe the surfers from sunrise to nigthfall and could hear the surf during the night. The hotel is really clean and nice and offers complimentary breakfast items you can take down to the tables overlooking the beach. The room we have been in had a fridge and microwave and wine and champagne glasses and there are BBQ facilities you can reserve at the front desk. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We can recommend this hotel very much.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Engadiner
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience while vacationing at the Laguna Riviera. Our friendly staff and clean rooms are just a start to make sure you are comfortable and ready for a great vacation here in Laguna Beach.

The views and surf are amazing all year round and I am happy to know that they did not fail to make your stay a memorable one. As in your room, all of our rooms include a microwave, coffee maker, refrigerator and are either stocked with wine & champagne glasses or have them available upon request.

You hit one of the many highlights enjoyed by our guests. The lawn and patio area overlooking the crashing surf featuring a pair of commercial BBQ s for guests to use preparing anything from chicken and burgers for lunch to steak and seafood dinners. We used to have one BBQ and found that it was so popular that we had to add a second to make sure everyone could be accommodated during the peak summer months.

Thank you again for the review and saying that ," We can recommend this hotel very much." Coming from a top contributor with over 162 reviews to their credit it means a lot to us.

I and the entire staff of the Laguna Riviera look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

My partner and I celebrated a birthday weekend here, so it was intended to be a romantic getaway with gorgeous views of the ocean and hopefully a comfortable stay. I must admit I was initially a little disappointed as I pulled up to Laguna Riviera by the exterior - it's dated and is a weird pink color…but after we checked in and had an opportunity to see our room, our private patio, and private lanai, I realized that this was perfect!

Check-in: quick and efficient, no issues. I do wish the lady at the front desk had provided a brief overview of the included amenities…I missed the fact that there was a complimentary breakfast and we ended up buying breakfast from down the street.

Beach views and access: We stayed in room 303, which is on the middle level of the resort. The "private" patio is really at the end of a shared patio between room 302 and 303, but, there is a chain that the resort provides for you to "rope off" your private section. With a nice little seating area, two deck chairs, it was great! The views were spectacular and we literally could walk down to the beach.

Room: key bed was really two twins, room was a bit dated but they recently renovated the bathroom and the kitchen area. It was comfortable, roomy, everything was in working order, and most importantly, clean. The kitchen was stocked with plates, glasses, and utensils; which was great because we didn't have to use my makeshift wine glasses for the champagne I had brought - we had real glasses!

Overall we were very pleased and look forward to our next stay here. We live in Orange County, CA and are often in Laguna Beach. Compared with many of the resorts, Laguna Riviera provides outstanding value by giving you awesome views, beach access, and comfortable rooms; all at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay on the first, second or third floor surf view rooms. A/C is really not...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rkwok68
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2013

Thank you for the fine review. I appreciate your initial take on the property and headline of "Don't judge a book by it's cover". It is so true, and I'll share some history that will explain the "cover".

The Laguna Riviera is the last original family owned hotel in town. It was opened by my grandfather in 1948 and created with the architectural flavor and colors of the coastal regions of the Italian and French Rivieras. We have opted to keep the exterior in line with the original design and colors while upgrading the interiors creating a relaxing and tranquil space to vacation.

I am glad you enjoyed room 303 it is one of my favorites and has a wonderful view from the semi-private deck. If you enjoyed 303 I highly recommend you check out 508. The deck is private and the views are arguably the best on the property. Plus, if you stay when there is a chill in the air you have an excuse to enjoy the fireplace.

It is nice to hear we hit the mark of views and value in Laguna Beach. As you know they don't often go together but we strive to make the Laguna Riviera an affordable destination with no surprise charges for things like parking, internet, breakfast or added resort fees which combined can easily add another $50-$70 a night to your vacation elsewhere.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I went for a relaxing long weekend. We ended up changing rooms and upgrading and were so happy for it. Room #304. People said the room really matters and I totally agree. I wanted to sleep to the sound of the surf, wake up to see the surf , and relax on the porch. We were lucky enough to see the dolphins swim by. I have booked our getaway for next year. Happy memories.
The Hotel provides beach chairs, beach towels and beach unbrellas. Also good coffee in the morning and great muffins. The parking is also free for one car.
The hotel is located within walking distance to town, and all in all a very comfortable place.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cathy C
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thank you for the review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed room 304. It has a fantastic view from its' private deck. You know it used to be a rare treat to see dolphins out front and now it is a daily occurrence. The rich sea life that populates our shore draws in dolphins, seals, and whales when they are migrating. Even growing up in Laguna one never tires of watching the dolphins swim by and play in the surf.

You hit on some key differences between the Laguna Riviera and many other Laguna Beach Hotels. When you arrive we do not have many of the extra or surprise charges that our neighbors add to your bill. Parking is free, internet is free, a continental breakfast is free, and your beach chairs, umbrellas and beach towels are included without any additional resort fee. Between resorts fees, internet fees and parking fees, you can easily see another $50-$70 per day added to your stay. I don't like such surprises when I travel so the Laguna Riviera does not do it when you stay with us.

Thank you for noticing the muffins. We have recently changed suppliers and after testing the offerings of several local bakeries we landed on a winner. The muffins combined with your choice of hot / cold cereals, juice, fresh fruit, coffee, milk and several tea choices make for a quick way to jump start your day. Many guests like to eat and visit in the breakfast bar while other enjoy taking their food back to the room and relaxing on their desck or one of the public ocean view areas around the property.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to seeing you next year.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Got married 10-11-12 and spent out honeymoon in one of their suites consisting of one large room, king bed, sofa, love seat color TV. The bathroom is on the smaller size but as a big guy I had no problem. Our room, like most of their rooms, over look the ocean and had a balcony to sit out on so you can watch the people play on the beach and a beautiful California sunset. The place is not fancy, as I said has the taste and the charm of the 60's. Originally built when cars were much smaller, parking in their small lot is like fitting a puzzle together. Although we did not use the pool it is heated and enclosed so you can swim in the winter.

Room Tip: Their website has a description of each of their rooms, some have a/c, some have larger balconies. R...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SSW004
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Thank you for the review. We are honored you selected the Laguna Riviera for your Honeymoon. We have hosted many newlyweds, and find the sunsets, views, and location always delivers a wonderful experience and great memories. Many of our honeymooners make staying with us an annual event returning each year to celebrate their anniversary.

The property was opened in 1948 when cars were smaller and, like all of Laguna, parking is tight but manageable. The pool and Jacuzzi are both salt water next time you stay I encourage you to give them a try. Its a very relaxing and soothing experience and not like like a traditional chlorinated pool.

We wish you newlyweds a long, happy and prosperous life and relationship and hope to get to say hello when you next stay with us.

Kort

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This was our 3rd time staying at the Laguna Riviera. This time we brought our family to share our wonderful experience. We booked 2 rooms next to each other and each had a kitchen and a wonderful shared deck for meals, watching the surf and sunsets. We were so happy that the walkway to the beach was finished just in time for us. Everyone was so accommodating and friendly. We had wonderful long walks each way on the sand. The only draw back with that is we picked up tar on our shoes and feet from the sand. We ended up buying some fingernail polish remover from Ralphs. The location to town was so convenient. There was great access to all the coves and wonderful landscaping along the cliff walk ways. We can hardly wait to go back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. It just depends on what your needs are.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Repeat business is the highest complement we can receive. Thank you for sharing your experience and we are so glad the family had such a wonderful experience.

From your tar experience it sounds like it's time for us to put out the orange cleaner. It works great on removing tar from the feet and is non toxic. While it's not common it does wash up from time to time.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Kort

Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I just spent two wonderful nights in room 515 of the Laguna Riveria. First, it is much smaller looking in life then in the pictures. And it is definitely an older hotel catering to some long time users and surfers as well, right on a good surfing beach. Use Google to get street side view. The office folks are super nice and helpful in everyway.
There is a free continental breakfast, just average, but better then nothing.

The rooms are all unique and we were on the top floor with a room on either side.
Now, you would think being in the middle would be the least private, but actually here it is the most private. There is an average size room, then a pretty big lanai or wet room, then a balcony. The balcony has a table, 4 chairs and two comfy loungers in addition. There are walls (nice ones) that block your neighbors from looking into your balcony. The people on either side have only one wall and their side is open to anyone else looking in. Of course this is not like totally private anyway because several of these upper rooms can see across to other balconies. The room could have been bigger, but it was just fine, good shower, water pressure good and unlimited. Our view was great, surf part was blocked by lower building in front (see room 305 next) Now we got to go into a few other rooms when they were getting cleaned and we think room 305 is going to be awesome, it is full surf view, nobody able to look into the balcony, but no lanai, it is bigger with a full sofa bed to make up for it. If we go back we will ask for room 305, but 515 is lower cost and still a great room.
Last thing to tell you is we were there Saturday and Sunday nites, all was nice and quiet. On Monday morning around 10:00AM, they started to do some construction on the seawall below and that was anoying, but since were were out in 2 hours it was no big deal and it was not constant.
Now location, this is awesome, walk to everything, in the middle of the arts district, tons of galleries, shops to see. And don't forget to go the Marine room if you want some good music and dancing for folks 40 and up (although there were younger ones there too)
Did not have time to get to the Sandpiper which is even closer, but heard it was fun too.
The Deck was so pretentious we had to leave even though they had some Sunday evening Reggae.

Room Tip: I would pick room 305 if available or the other ones next to it 303 and 304 I believe, room 515 is t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lost_bobcat
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to go into such detail on your stay. Your observations will be useful to travelers as they consider ocean front properties and things to do in Laguna.

As you touched on the Laguna Riviera has many different rooms from large suites with full size kitchen, living room, bedroom, dining room and private deck to cozy studios with semi-private decks with spectacular views. Our average room is over 400 square feet. We have an online grid to help those new to the property make their selection and our knowledgeable desk staff is always ready to assist.

The construction noise is diminishing and many times non-existent as we start to approach the completion of the new retaining walls, stairs and patios for our 3 bedroom ocean front beach bungalow. Once completed it will be spectacular for family gatherings, small weddings and corporate events. You will even have private access to the beach from the lower patio. As always is the case in construction it has taken quite a bit longer than anticipated but we hope to see completion before summer is in full swing. Also note that there is no construction allowed on the weekends.

The Rivieras location is arguably the best in town close to everything yet just far enough away for some quiet solitude. The best surfing in town is at our doorstep and so many great restaurants are within walking distance that you could stay for two weeks and never eat at the same one twice.

For nightlife there is the Marine Room as mentioned, and I would also recommend the White House as it is also in the downtown area and caters to a similar crowd. The Sandpiper mentioned (known to locals as The Dirty Bird) is just south of us, a lot of fun, with a bit more rowdy of a crowd. For the best sound system and often times world class musicians (think Macy Gray, English Beat, and project groups formed by members of major touring bands) I like to recommend Mozambique. They are less than a mile walk south and if you are a guest of the Laguna Riviera free transportation is offered to and from their restaurant and music lounge. If you are looking for Sunday Reggae without the pretense I know you will enjoy Mozambique's service and atmosphere.

Thanks again &
Happy Travels,

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Kort, you've done so much to make the hotel beautiful and welcoming! This is my third stay in three years, and the place just keeps getting better. From the tasteful and clean rooms to the sound of surf, from the great new walkway down to the beach to the enormous flowers everywhere, the Laguna Riviera has become my favorite place for complete relaxation. My only hesitation in giving you a great review is that other people will book all the rooms!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Elizabeth D

Thank you for the positive review and taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. It is reassuring to know all of our efforts to constantly raise the bar are making your stay and experience better each time.

Being right on the ocean, while a stunning and beautiful location, presents ongoing maintenance needs that, I'm proud to say, our staff excels at staying on top of. The Riviera's new private pathway to the beach, railing system, retaining walls, and terraced patios at 101 have been designed to long term durability and safety.

The rooms have been being fine tuned and we are always open to guests comments and suggestions to improve. Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us.