“Cool, funky beach hotel”

and 1 more site!
Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Just got back from the Laguna Riviera with my husband and 10 year old daughter. I loved this hotel. The room was basic (402) but clean, and had a little fridge and coffee maker. Where this property really shines is its location. There was a patio right outside of our door outfitted with chairs and tables and the most beautiful views of the ocean and crashing surf that you can imagine. There are barbeque's set up for people who wanted to grill (and a grocery store just a block away). Parking was plentiful and convenient. The steps to the beach are right on the side of the hotel while they fix the on property steps. The construction didn't bother us. All we had to do is move down the beach a bit if it bothered us. The hotel provides beach chairs, umbrellas and beach towels for free, and boogie boards for a nominal fee. This was incredibly convenient. There are quite a few steps to the beach (64 to be exact!) but the hotel is set up on a bluff (hence the gorgeous views) and I believe that this would be the same for any hotel right in this area. This was my first time there, and I wish that I had another week to enjoy the peacefulness and relaxation offered by this hotel. The continental breakfast in the morning was quite a nice set up. Special shout out to Bryndon at the front desk who was super nice and helpful. We hope to return to the Laguna Riviera some day!

Room Tip: The description of the rooms on their website is pretty accurate...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Dixiechick09
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

We wish you could have stayed another week as well. The weather is spectacular and it's a great place to be this time of year.

I appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with others and agree that the Riviera is indeed a Cool Funky Hotel. With the recent room upgrades we have created new beachy comfortable zen like interiors while avoiding being too trendy or modern. These new rooms combined with the old school original 1950's Laguna Beach exterior gives travelers a nice blend of both worlds.

I'm glad the renovation of our ocean front slope was not intrusive and we have to thank the contractor and his crew for going out of their way to keep noise and dust as suppressed as possible.

I'll pass your shout out to Bryndon (if he has not already read this ;-) and look forward to your next stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Laguna Riviera Beach Resort

Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel has very nice rooms with seaview terraces which are reserved early for families that visit every summer for many years. Occasionial visitors like us were treated to a room facing a noisy thoroughfare. Since the room had no airconditioning (an unrevealed surprise when we made the reservation), the noise was unbearable, because of the open windows. The beach is literally five floors below the hotel and accesssible only by climbing a narrow, open staircase. Good for exercise but a pain for those who carry blankets, towels, bags, etc. to the beach. The common spaces are borderline sloppy, with many of the staircases and walkways within the hotel covered with filthy carpeting (and it is not just sand). The so-called " free continental breakfast'' contains about $1.50 worth of mostly junk food. Bottom line: read all reviews before you choose this one and not just the reviews of guests who stay there every year, because there are better choices for the same money in this beach resort. In fact, we moved after the second night, despite being offered a portable AC unit..

Room Tip: Don't prepay. Come, see and then decide.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Fred K
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience while staying with us, and like you, I also encourage readers to peruse all reviews, explore our website, and call with any questions to make the most informed decision possible. Thank you for complimenting our very nice rooms and location. I'm sorry that our ocean front location does not provide an elevator to the beach, but unfortunately, that was not a viable option when the property was built in 1948, and today we could never get a retrofit approved by the city. Fortunately it is an easier walk than staying across the street or at one of the many properties in town that are not actually on the ocean. While our beach pathway is closed for renovations (expected to reopen soon) you do need to use the adjacent public stairs down to the sand. All in all it takes 2-3 minutes.

Yes you are correct we are very busy in the Summer with many families returning year after year and often selling out a year in advance. Anyone traveling to Laguna Beach on short notice in the summer will likely not have access to the preferred rooms unless there is a cancellation.

The worn exterior hallway carpets mentioned are schedule for replacement after the summer season closes. They do get a lot of abuse being outside and on the ocean and it is unfortunate that they impacted your stay with us.

The configuration of all of our rooms, including if they have A/C or not, is clearly called out on our website, and for those without A/C who do not get enough relief from the cool ocean breeze we offer portable A/C units like the one you mentioned that you were offered.

Our FREE Continental breakfast is dictated by the health department to be individually wrapped which could cause one to believe it is junk food. It is not. The pastries are prepared fresh and delivered daily, the fresh fruit usually consisting of bananas, apples and oranges are straight from the farm, we also provide name brand cereals both hot and cold, along with coffee, an assortment of teas, several fruit juices and milk. We may be expanding this offering in the future pending approvals to upgrade our food service permits and install an approved kitchen. The continental breakfast is complimentary and a nice way to get started in the morning. If one needs a more robust breakfast there are several great options within a 1-2 minute walk of the hotel, or you can have the folks next door deliver to your room.

You can certainly find less expensive accommodations in Laguna Beach but not on the ocean. If price is your main concern I encourage anyone to check rates on the North end of town at the properties inland of Coast Highway. If your desire is to stay ocean front with direct beach access, then we offer the best value in town. Unlike many ocean front properties, we do not charge for parking, internet, continental breakfast, beach chairs & umbrellas, and the new resort fee showing up everywhere. If price is not an issue I encourage anyone to look at the Montage, a truly amazing property or the Surf & Sand, both just to the south of us.

You are right, we are a family friendly hotel and because of that we have many loyal return guests every year. If one is looking for a quiet romantic retreat without the presence of family activities, please consider the off season when kids are back in school and both the hotel and town are much quieter.

Happy travel,

Reviewed July 27, 2012

can not say enough about how great this place is,we have been bringing grand children for 17 years ,now they have grown up and we bring our great grand children,you can not ask for nicer and helpful staff ,we missed joan this year and were sad to hear she had passed away.room 403 the deals

Room Tip: all rooms are nice
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Joyce D
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Repeat business is the highest compliment we can receive and we thank you for your continued patronage. It is validation that we are successfully carrying on the tradition established when the Laguna Riviera doors were opened in 1948 by my grandfather, Mr. Harry Willats.

It is a testament that the town, location, and property create such special feelings and memories. I have to share that when I was a kid in the early 70's working at the hotel I met many kids vacationing with their parents and grandparents. Today I still run into some of them as they continue the tradition and are now vacationing at the Laguna Riviera with their children.

You selected room 403 a great 1 bedroom suite with an ocean view and a full kitchen. A very popular room with families for the views and functionality.

Thank you again for the review, sharing your history and the kind mention of Joan. We all miss her.

We look forward to your visit next year.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Beautiful location, right on the beach. Family owned and very comfy. Indoor pool and hot-tub. Staff is extremely friendly. Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JeannieBeanie1983
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and one of the finest beaches in Laguna. We hope to see you back soon. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and everyone here appreciates your compliment to staff.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

In a city of over-priced beach resorts, the Laguna was a terrific find. It's quaint design reflects it's history, and it has been modernized just enough not to kill it's charm. Very comfortable beds and bathrooms.

It's right in town, so you can walk to all of Laguna's shops and restaurants. Easy access from the freeways, or take a drive up/down the coast to get to it.

Friendly staff and housekeepers, and guest actually socialized with each other!

Finally, don't be afraid of the "cheaper" rooms.... they still have a great view!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of the lower priced room, they still have terrific views.... It is a steep walk...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KingGypsy
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

You have summed up the Laguna Riviera very well. Thank you for this fresh and spot on review.

The Laguna Riviera is the last of the original family owned and operated hotels in town. It was built by my grandfather and opened in 1948. Today, family members along with Laguna locals continue to operate and work at the hotel. We have been careful to embrace the old Laguna feel and beach vibe by keeping the exterior of the property as original as possible with with all its old school charm while giving all of the interiors a major upgrade with a zen feel so your comfortable and ready to relax the minute you arrive. You have a pallet of earth tones reflecting the coastal colors, luxurious bedding, flat screen HD televisions, proximity door locks, automatic energy efficient lighting and switches, and upgraded bathrooms, kitchens and kitchenettes.

With a great location and beautiful rooms, views, and grounds we still keep our rates the best in town when looking for a beach front vacation. Amenities like property wide high speed internet access, surf view commercial grade BBQs to cook your evening diner, parking, beach toys, umbrellas, chairs and towels are all inclusive with your stay as is the continental breakfast hosted each morning in the lobby. These complimentary amenities combined with no resort fees make the Laguna Riviera a great value.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with others and I appreciate your comment about the less expensive rooms. It is so true, the upgrades and remodel have made them all comfortable and tastefully furnished.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Let me preface this review by telling you I have been staying here for many years and currently have ANOTHER reservation for this same location soon after this review will be published. I apologize in advance for the lengthy review, but so much is wrong with this last stay I feel it should be noted.
Let’s start off with the “Ugly” and move on to the Bad and Good.
THIS HOTEL IS UNDER MAJOR CONSTRUCTION! Yes, when I say major I mean a major feature of the hotel is not available and that is the beach access. You see, one of the nice things about this hotel was that it had (notice I said HAD) a gently sloping switchback (with no stairs) in the back of the hotel with direct access to Laguna Beach. This switchback allows anyone with small children or physically challenged people to gain access to the direct sand and ocean without have to climb any stairs (common for Laguna Beach). Although I could have lived with the construction for our stay, walk down the street to the public beach access, climb down the steep 50 or so stairs and been basically where I would been with the hotel access, I feel I paid for that access and was denied it.
The major problem (as seen and heard in the attached pictures and videos) is they have heavy duty equipment everywhere making jackhammer sounds, pounding noises and so forth all day long. My major complaint with this whole experience was that we were NEVER told (even when we checked in) that there was construction going on. Eventually, they posted a small sign at check-in saying that they are under construction. These kinds of thing should be fully disclosed BEFORE reservations can be made. Video can be seen at (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb335/k1124photo/Laguna%20Beach/?action=view&current=IMG_0110.mp4).
Bottom-line, if you want a quiet, safe, relaxing Laguna Beach getaway, this hotel is NOT for you (at least until the construction is completed which I would say will be next year at best). Also, since most of Laguna is paid parking (by the minute), guess where the construction workers park? You guessed it, in the hotel parking forcing YOU to pay meter parking until they move out! Once again, I paid for something (in this case, parking) in my rate, yet it was taken over by construction workers.

The “Bad”
As always, we made this reservation well in advance, although we have never stayed in Room 301 we felt from previous experiences at this hotel this room would not be a problem, how wrong I was. You see Room 301 has a roof top deck that is open to the public. That in itself is not an issue although reasonable hours should be enforced for that deck as basically you have 100’s of people walking (and dragging chairs, moving tables, etc) across your ceiling. It was very noisy and I can safely say I will never stay in Room 301 again at any price. A simple curfew of say 11PM on the roof top deck would correct this issue.
Something else that really brought this trip down a few points is that this is NOT a non-smoking hotel. Granted, you can’t smoke in the rooms, but you can spoke everywhere else. Unless you are in a ocean facing room (not surf), you run the risk that a smoker will be smoking in front of YOUR room. This happened to use by TWO different guests using room 201. Basically you can’t leave your window open and enjoy the fresh ocean air. My take, here should be smoking areas AWAY from the rooms, say towards the FRONT of the hotel.

One last thing, because of all the construction, my wife fell and was injured on the property due to dirt and debris on the grounds. When I went to the front desk to ask for first aid, I was offered a small bandage, so come prepared. Thankfully she was not injured to the extent she needed medical attention. The Ralphs across the street provided enough medical aid to us. The person at the front desk did not even ask why I wanted a first aid kit.

The “Good”
This hotel typically (although, not in this case) represents a good value for Laguna Beach. You have Free Parking, Free Wi-Fi and the rooms are overall well kept. Staff is typically responsive to your needs or concerns, although afterhours may be difficult to get anyone as the front desk is closed at night.
301 is very similar to 201 with basically the same view except for the fact you have to look over 201’s roof to see the ocean. Not really a show stopper in my opinion. What was a show stopper for 301 was the roof top deck directly above 301, but I have already mentioned that. All the rooms at this hotel vary as to features and amenities. Some may have fireplaces, some may have king beds, etc. It’s always best to review the features on their web site before purchasing as features do change. Overall a clean hotel, on the sand side of the Laguna Beach

Room Tip: Avoid Room 301, make sure you have first aid with you. Not all rooms have A/C. Not all Rooms have a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank nativecal
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the hotel project, and let me take a few moments to clarify what is going on.

Yes after 7-1/2 years of design and city applications finally approval has been granted to repair the landslide suffered on the ocean side of the property.

This fact is highly visible on the front page of our website and has been all year, along with pictures that are updated regularly to offer a clear idea of the scope and location of the project. During this repair the pathway to the beach is closed and beach access is out the side of the property and down the public stairs. The side access is actually the shortest route to the beach but is not as scenic and does involve stairs, rather than a pathway with switchbacks. This is all a short term inconvenience to create a long term solution to a major issue. While we expected completion by June the circumstance of the local geology combined with a very complex build has unfortunately extended our deadline until after summer.

There is printed notice of the work and new beach access clearly and predominately posted on our website, at the check in desk, it is given when reservations are made, plus there is signage on the pathway and all of this has been in place since we began at the beginning of this year.

The construction is isolated to the slope and is not a property wide major project. With this said you may hear some of the equipment from time to time or an infrequent jack hammer if an unforeseen boulder is unearthed, but fortunately on the hotel side it looks like most of the digging is complete and we are now in the final stages. We will be back-filling dirt and gravel as the final block walls are stacked and the pathway is restored to its original location with new railings and lighting to improve safety.

I'm sorry to learn that neighboring guests gathering on the public deck disrupted your stay. And, should note that it cannot even accommodate 100's of people. It has two tables and in it's entirety is suitable for 15-20 max. However, in situations like this, we are more than happy to intervene and quiet things down so that everyone has a restful and enjoyable stay. Please call the office and we will take care of it.

With regards to the parking we have parking for every room. If one cannot locate parking just talk to the desk and you will be accommodated. If employees or contracted workers are taking any spaces they will be asked to move immediately as they are already not allowed to park onsite. If this still fails to produce a parking spot we will pay for your parking meter.

While I am sorry and concerned that this guest fell down I must assure all readers that there is no construction debris in any guest accessible area. It is all behind blockades or areas clearly marked "No Trespassing". The only impact that the construction has caused us is a light dust that floats up towards some of the directly ocean facing areas when we have an onshore breeze. This, housekeeping stays on top of and the work crew is constantly watering down the actual construction site to keep this light dust to a minimum.

I took a look at the nice video link with the great ocean view shared by this guest and you can hear a jackhammer at work. This activity was short lived to clear a boulder and is not something that is ongoing.

We know that such work can be disruptive and very clear information has been posted on our website all year offering complete disclosure for all to read. Please feel free to visit and see as things progress, and be notified when everything has been repaired, and the pathway returned to its original location and rebuilt to a safe standard that stabilizes not only the slope but the entire hotel.

Thank you for sharing your photos and I encourage everyone who is interested in seeing more to visit our website lagunariviera.com and monitor the weekly progress. In the meantime anyone interested in the current state of construction can feel free to contact me at the hotel or via email at kort@lagunariviera.com to learn more.

Happy travel,

Reviewed June 25, 2012

As always, an amazing weekend at an exceptional hotel on an extraordinary section of Laguna Beach! Love the relaxed, laidback feel amid all the excitement happening right on the beach! On this most current trip (customer since 2001), we missed our favorite, Room 101 with the fabulous private deck but we were treated like VIPs and given the Beach Bungalow (due to renovations)- WOW!!
Thanks to the entire staff for their helpfulness and hospitality!
When it comes to Southern California beach towns and spots, the Laguna Riviera on Laguna Beach is #1.
Gabriela

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for the great review and your 12 year of patronage. Repeat business is the highest compliment we can receive.

I am so glad you enjoyed the Beach Bungalow it is a special place and built in 1931 is truly an authentic Laguna Beach cottage but with all of the expected modern upgrades. Hey we even swapped out the gas lamps for electricity, but kept the original glass fixtures. We will have 101 completed for your visit next year. It will have a new terraced front patio, and as always, amazing views.

We appreciate yours, and everyone's, patience while we complete the rebuilding of the ocean slope stabilizing it and upgrading the ocean pathway. The work is taking longer than originally planned due to the geology and very tight building location but when complete it will be a beautiful upgrade to both the hotel and the house providing years of functionality and customer enjoyment.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.