“Perfect!”

Laguna Riviera Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Beautiful location, right on the beach. Family owned and very comfy. Indoor pool and hot-tub. Staff is extremely friendly. Loved it!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JeannieBeanie1983
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2012

So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and one of the finest beaches in Laguna. We hope to see you back soon. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and everyone here appreciates your compliment to staff.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

In a city of over-priced beach resorts, the Laguna was a terrific find. It's quaint design reflects it's history, and it has been modernized just enough not to kill it's charm. Very comfortable beds and bathrooms.

It's right in town, so you can walk to all of Laguna's shops and restaurants. Easy access from the freeways, or take a drive up/down the coast to get to it.

Friendly staff and housekeepers, and guest actually socialized with each other!

Finally, don't be afraid of the "cheaper" rooms.... they still have a great view!

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of the lower priced room, they still have terrific views.... It is a steep walk...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KingGypsy
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

You have summed up the Laguna Riviera very well. Thank you for this fresh and spot on review.

The Laguna Riviera is the last of the original family owned and operated hotels in town. It was built by my grandfather and opened in 1948. Today, family members along with Laguna locals continue to operate and work at the hotel. We have been careful to embrace the old Laguna feel and beach vibe by keeping the exterior of the property as original as possible with with all its old school charm while giving all of the interiors a major upgrade with a zen feel so your comfortable and ready to relax the minute you arrive. You have a pallet of earth tones reflecting the coastal colors, luxurious bedding, flat screen HD televisions, proximity door locks, automatic energy efficient lighting and switches, and upgraded bathrooms, kitchens and kitchenettes.

With a great location and beautiful rooms, views, and grounds we still keep our rates the best in town when looking for a beach front vacation. Amenities like property wide high speed internet access, surf view commercial grade BBQs to cook your evening diner, parking, beach toys, umbrellas, chairs and towels are all inclusive with your stay as is the continental breakfast hosted each morning in the lobby. These complimentary amenities combined with no resort fees make the Laguna Riviera a great value.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with others and I appreciate your comment about the less expensive rooms. It is so true, the upgrades and remodel have made them all comfortable and tastefully furnished.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Let me preface this review by telling you I have been staying here for many years and currently have ANOTHER reservation for this same location soon after this review will be published. I apologize in advance for the lengthy review, but so much is wrong with this last stay I feel it should be noted.
Let’s start off with the “Ugly” and move on to the Bad and Good.
THIS HOTEL IS UNDER MAJOR CONSTRUCTION! Yes, when I say major I mean a major feature of the hotel is not available and that is the beach access. You see, one of the nice things about this hotel was that it had (notice I said HAD) a gently sloping switchback (with no stairs) in the back of the hotel with direct access to Laguna Beach. This switchback allows anyone with small children or physically challenged people to gain access to the direct sand and ocean without have to climb any stairs (common for Laguna Beach). Although I could have lived with the construction for our stay, walk down the street to the public beach access, climb down the steep 50 or so stairs and been basically where I would been with the hotel access, I feel I paid for that access and was denied it.
The major problem (as seen and heard in the attached pictures and videos) is they have heavy duty equipment everywhere making jackhammer sounds, pounding noises and so forth all day long. My major complaint with this whole experience was that we were NEVER told (even when we checked in) that there was construction going on. Eventually, they posted a small sign at check-in saying that they are under construction. These kinds of thing should be fully disclosed BEFORE reservations can be made. Video can be seen at (http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb335/k1124photo/Laguna%20Beach/?action=view&current=IMG_0110.mp4).
Bottom-line, if you want a quiet, safe, relaxing Laguna Beach getaway, this hotel is NOT for you (at least until the construction is completed which I would say will be next year at best). Also, since most of Laguna is paid parking (by the minute), guess where the construction workers park? You guessed it, in the hotel parking forcing YOU to pay meter parking until they move out! Once again, I paid for something (in this case, parking) in my rate, yet it was taken over by construction workers.

The “Bad”
As always, we made this reservation well in advance, although we have never stayed in Room 301 we felt from previous experiences at this hotel this room would not be a problem, how wrong I was. You see Room 301 has a roof top deck that is open to the public. That in itself is not an issue although reasonable hours should be enforced for that deck as basically you have 100’s of people walking (and dragging chairs, moving tables, etc) across your ceiling. It was very noisy and I can safely say I will never stay in Room 301 again at any price. A simple curfew of say 11PM on the roof top deck would correct this issue.
Something else that really brought this trip down a few points is that this is NOT a non-smoking hotel. Granted, you can’t smoke in the rooms, but you can spoke everywhere else. Unless you are in a ocean facing room (not surf), you run the risk that a smoker will be smoking in front of YOUR room. This happened to use by TWO different guests using room 201. Basically you can’t leave your window open and enjoy the fresh ocean air. My take, here should be smoking areas AWAY from the rooms, say towards the FRONT of the hotel.

One last thing, because of all the construction, my wife fell and was injured on the property due to dirt and debris on the grounds. When I went to the front desk to ask for first aid, I was offered a small bandage, so come prepared. Thankfully she was not injured to the extent she needed medical attention. The Ralphs across the street provided enough medical aid to us. The person at the front desk did not even ask why I wanted a first aid kit.

The “Good”
This hotel typically (although, not in this case) represents a good value for Laguna Beach. You have Free Parking, Free Wi-Fi and the rooms are overall well kept. Staff is typically responsive to your needs or concerns, although afterhours may be difficult to get anyone as the front desk is closed at night.
301 is very similar to 201 with basically the same view except for the fact you have to look over 201’s roof to see the ocean. Not really a show stopper in my opinion. What was a show stopper for 301 was the roof top deck directly above 301, but I have already mentioned that. All the rooms at this hotel vary as to features and amenities. Some may have fireplaces, some may have king beds, etc. It’s always best to review the features on their web site before purchasing as features do change. Overall a clean hotel, on the sand side of the Laguna Beach

Room Tip: Avoid Room 301, make sure you have first aid with you. Not all rooms have A/C. Not all Rooms have a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank nativecal
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the hotel project, and let me take a few moments to clarify what is going on.

Yes after 7-1/2 years of design and city applications finally approval has been granted to repair the landslide suffered on the ocean side of the property.

This fact is highly visible on the front page of our website and has been all year, along with pictures that are updated regularly to offer a clear idea of the scope and location of the project. During this repair the pathway to the beach is closed and beach access is out the side of the property and down the public stairs. The side access is actually the shortest route to the beach but is not as scenic and does involve stairs, rather than a pathway with switchbacks. This is all a short term inconvenience to create a long term solution to a major issue. While we expected completion by June the circumstance of the local geology combined with a very complex build has unfortunately extended our deadline until after summer.

There is printed notice of the work and new beach access clearly and predominately posted on our website, at the check in desk, it is given when reservations are made, plus there is signage on the pathway and all of this has been in place since we began at the beginning of this year.

The construction is isolated to the slope and is not a property wide major project. With this said you may hear some of the equipment from time to time or an infrequent jack hammer if an unforeseen boulder is unearthed, but fortunately on the hotel side it looks like most of the digging is complete and we are now in the final stages. We will be back-filling dirt and gravel as the final block walls are stacked and the pathway is restored to its original location with new railings and lighting to improve safety.

I'm sorry to learn that neighboring guests gathering on the public deck disrupted your stay. And, should note that it cannot even accommodate 100's of people. It has two tables and in it's entirety is suitable for 15-20 max. However, in situations like this, we are more than happy to intervene and quiet things down so that everyone has a restful and enjoyable stay. Please call the office and we will take care of it.

With regards to the parking we have parking for every room. If one cannot locate parking just talk to the desk and you will be accommodated. If employees or contracted workers are taking any spaces they will be asked to move immediately as they are already not allowed to park onsite. If this still fails to produce a parking spot we will pay for your parking meter.

While I am sorry and concerned that this guest fell down I must assure all readers that there is no construction debris in any guest accessible area. It is all behind blockades or areas clearly marked "No Trespassing". The only impact that the construction has caused us is a light dust that floats up towards some of the directly ocean facing areas when we have an onshore breeze. This, housekeeping stays on top of and the work crew is constantly watering down the actual construction site to keep this light dust to a minimum.

I took a look at the nice video link with the great ocean view shared by this guest and you can hear a jackhammer at work. This activity was short lived to clear a boulder and is not something that is ongoing.

We know that such work can be disruptive and very clear information has been posted on our website all year offering complete disclosure for all to read. Please feel free to visit and see as things progress, and be notified when everything has been repaired, and the pathway returned to its original location and rebuilt to a safe standard that stabilizes not only the slope but the entire hotel.

Thank you for sharing your photos and I encourage everyone who is interested in seeing more to visit our website lagunariviera.com and monitor the weekly progress. In the meantime anyone interested in the current state of construction can feel free to contact me at the hotel or via email at kort@lagunariviera.com to learn more.

Happy travel,

Reviewed June 25, 2012

As always, an amazing weekend at an exceptional hotel on an extraordinary section of Laguna Beach! Love the relaxed, laidback feel amid all the excitement happening right on the beach! On this most current trip (customer since 2001), we missed our favorite, Room 101 with the fabulous private deck but we were treated like VIPs and given the Beach Bungalow (due to renovations)- WOW!!
Thanks to the entire staff for their helpfulness and hospitality!
When it comes to Southern California beach towns and spots, the Laguna Riviera on Laguna Beach is #1.
Gabriela

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you for the great review and your 12 year of patronage. Repeat business is the highest compliment we can receive.

I am so glad you enjoyed the Beach Bungalow it is a special place and built in 1931 is truly an authentic Laguna Beach cottage but with all of the expected modern upgrades. Hey we even swapped out the gas lamps for electricity, but kept the original glass fixtures. We will have 101 completed for your visit next year. It will have a new terraced front patio, and as always, amazing views.

We appreciate yours, and everyone's, patience while we complete the rebuilding of the ocean slope stabilizing it and upgrading the ocean pathway. The work is taking longer than originally planned due to the geology and very tight building location but when complete it will be a beautiful upgrade to both the hotel and the house providing years of functionality and customer enjoyment.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

This was a last minute trip to Laguna, a place I only was on TV. I searched the web and I saw many 'boutique' places and vibe was all off. I kept going back to the site for the Laguna Riviera and they have such an user friendly room availablity system. I finally narrowed my selections and called rather than book online. Even though I called several times to ask questions about location or activities that will be happening around town, the excellent customer service from Alex and Brendan finally sold me. I asked about some room choices and they suggested a few and I decided on Room 302. My wife and I drove 4 hours from Las Vegas and even arrived after hours, so to speak, but Bredan still greeted us with a smile at the door and and made our check in a breeze.

Room 302 with th fireplace was THE perfect get-a-way for my wife and I. Because we arrived so late we did not realize just how perfect the setting was--a 'surf' view (definetly worth it to
hear the rythmic crashing of the ocean waves), on the beach with beach access, deck and private sitting area. The continental breakfast was simple but the way the set up is you can choose to meet other guest or stay to yourself with no feeling of guilt either way. We were warned of the shore project and during the week if you are planning to lay around all day in your room it might be distracting but hey--your on vacation in Laguna and the is PLENTY to do. The Laguna Riviera is centrally located and a short walk, and I walk slowly-15 minutes tops. Great resturants around town and thereis a 10% discount at selected resturants but I am sure the staff, or even some of the other guests will share with great specials around town. As this was our first stay we were so overwhelmed with our 'luck' of picking such a great hotel that we are not able to find anything that we did not like. Stay tuned as we plan on heading back, slope project or not, and we will be able to tell you if this was a one time lucky stay or if it is the realt thing, that is if they et us return --just kidding, you will let us return, right?

Room Tip: The BBQ area is great place to cook out and watch the sunset.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank StucknVegas
Management response:Responded June 22, 2012

I'm so glad your online research paid off and you discovered the Laguna Riviera and that we met or exceeded your expectations. You selected a very cozy room with a great view, large deck, and fireplace. I know that our staff will appreciate your kind words and we will post your review where they can see it and know their efforts are appreciated. They do try to treat everyone like they are part of the family, even if you check in after hours ;-)

The slope project has gone over schedule and is a pretty monumental task, but the crew is doing their best to be as quiet and unobtrusive as possible. It is an impressive undertaking and I encourage everyone to take a look from the beach and see what they are doing. Once complete it will stabilize our slope, improve the pathway to the beach, add a terraced patio to 101, and open up the 2 patios below the house.

Thanks again, and to answer your question, Yes, you are welcome to stay anytime.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel last week. Our group had 2 different rooms, an ocean view and surf view. The view and sounds of ocean day and night were awesome in the surf view room. The ocean view rooms do have ocean views and sounds of ocean during the day, but when doors are closed and locked at night you can't hear the ocean. So if hearing the ocean at night is important you will have to pay for surf view.
The main grilling area with chairs and tables is really nice so no matter which room you have, you can grill and hang out ocean front. We grilled 3 of the 4 nights we stayed and loved eating dinner and watching the sunset. We even saw dolphins 2 of the nights. We ate their breakfast 3 of the mornings and there is fresh fruit, hot and cold cereal, muffins , coffee and juice. It really saves
money having the breakfast, free Internet ( which worked great) and free parking. We did go to breakfast at Beachcomber Cafe in Crystal Cove one morning and really enjoyed it.
All the employees were very friendly and helpful! You can't beat the value of location and amenities they offer here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank psdabj
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Thank you for the fine review and enjoying one of the favorite features of the property. It is such a special moment when you can sit down watching the last rays of the sunset, while watching passing dolphins and taking that first bit of freshly grilled fish or steak, add family and friends and you have that perfect moment.

At the Laguna Riviera our goal is to offer the best value in town when comparing price, location, amenities and service and we are glad to have hit this mark for you. The price of the room covers everything you could need, including parking, high speed internet access, phone service, continental breakfast, beach towels, chairs & umbrellas and absolutely none of the resort fees we are starting to see everywhere.

Thanks again, the staff and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

Sitting on the deck listening to waves crash is the best!

• Stayed: June 2012
Fun_Beach-Vacation, Owner at Laguna Riviera Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

We are very glad you enjoyed your vacation at the Laguna Riviera and the views and crashing waves were a highlight. It is certainly easy to sit and just take in the views for hours, spotting for dolphins, and whales, while watching the surfers and passersby.

The ambiance and location of the Laguna Riviera provides for a truly relaxing vacation and we look forward to your next visit to Laguna Beach and the Laguna Riviera.