“Excellent Food, Excellent Service”

230 Forest Avenue Restaurant & Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: PCH
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It was my wife's birthday & we decided to splurge & head to Laguna Beach. 230 Forest restaurant was wonderful. Beautiful décor, outside tables if desired, nice bar. Our server was fantastic. Friendly & very attentive. Made sure we had everything we needed. I believe his name was Chris.

We started with drinks & the bartenders are great. I had an Old Fashioned & it was excellent. My wife wanted wine & our server made sure she got the wine she wanted. He recommended a few wines & brought out samples for her to try. She was very satisfied with the wine she chose.

My wife ordered the Cioppino & I had the lamb chops. The Cioppino was fantastic. The best I think I ever had. The broth was thick with flavor, filled with fresh seafood. 3 types of fish, shrimp, scallops, mussels, lobster. The only draw-back was the lobster was not very good, seemed a little mushy, not much flavor. My lamb chops were good, 4 rather large chops, cooked perfectly medium rare. I enjoyed them, but not like the Cioppino.

Our server brought my wife a huge chocolate sundae to celebrate her birthday. What a great finish to a wonderful meal.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (683)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I came here for lunch for the first time since they allowed dogs on the patio. The service was very good and they have a good happy hour that starts about 2:30 or 3:00 (at least on the weekdays). Beer and wine are only $5 a glass and they have reduced prices on some of the appetizers. I had a glass of wine with my Kale and Strawberry salad; I asked for chicken to be added for an extra charge. It was super good. My husband ordered the prime-rib sandwich which came with a lot of really yummy fries. The sandwich was huge so he only ate half and we took the rest home. We would come here often if we lived near-by.

Reviewed September 3, 2019

Great appetizers, friendly service and one of the best steaks I have ever had...Definitely a place to try and come back to...Very impressed!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed September 2, 2019 via mobile

The atmosphere is nice.
Good music will not disturb you.

The food is very good, even the bread!
We had good salads for starters, my daughter had one filet mignon well prepared and high quality and we shared a “Ciopino”. In Italy this is a fish soup.
It was gorgeous!
Very rich, with different kind of fish, scallops and lobster. Lightly spicy without covering the taste of different fishes.
Excellent.
There’s a good list of beer and wine.

Service could be more present, sometimes you have to wait a bit but it’s not a problem.

Prices: excellent rate quality/price.

Reviewed August 16, 2019

Everything about this restaurant was good.. Hostess seated us on time to our reservation. Our server was timely, nice and helpful. Food was excellent! Would definitely choose this restaurant again.

Date of visit: August 2019