“Our New Go To Restaurant...”

230 Forest Avenue Restaurant & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
230 Forest Avenue Restaurant & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 169 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: PCH
Laguna Beach
“Our New Go To Restaurant...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

My wife and I have lived in Laguna Beach for 33 years and restaurants tend to come and go very quickly here. Our "go to" restaurant has changed as places close and menus and owners change. However, 230 Forest has always been near the top of the list and our last two meals there have made it our new (or old since it has been here awhile) favorite place...especially when family or friends are in town. The menu is balanced and dishes are a little...or a lot...different than what has become more and more the rule in Laguna Beach. Their warm arugula salad with asparagus and sautéed mushrooms is a great example of something different and it is beautifully executed. The fish chowder is definitely unique in this town...a subtle broth that lets the flavors of each ingredient shine...and that is typical of other dishes and the approach...

The only complaint...and it was mentioned by at least one other reviewer..is that the indoor seating is somewhat cramped...and you are closer to other diners than I like... However, you tend to focus on the food, the place has a good vibe and noise is really not a problem...

All in all you can expect well designed and well prepare dishes that true to the ingredients and are not manipulated to create the big flavors that seem to be in vogue.

• Korean first
Commerce Township, Michigan
“GREAT SEAFOOD SALAD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Lovely lunch @ 230 Forest.! Very good ,quality, food. They have earned their stripes..being rated #4 in the area. There are so many choices in Laguna however, we were thrilled to be able to count on Trip Advisor to steer us in the right direction! Bravo!

Cleveland, Ohio
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Very good food and drink! The salad was tasty, as was, the steak. It is a small venue so be prepared to get cozy with your neighbor!

• Visited November 2013
“My Fav restaurant in Laguna Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I've lived in S. Orange County for many years and frequent Laguna Beach monthly. There are several fine choices in LB, but my favorite is 230. The location is great and if you choose outdoor seating, you can enjoy people watching with a sidewalk view. The food is modern and fresh and the servers are always cheerful and professional. Reservations are a must on weekends and peak season.

Calgary, Canada
“worst meal of the trip”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was torn between 2 salads and asked the waitress for her opinion. she told me the kale salad was awesome, so I got it. She neglected to tell me that it was also the smallest salad ever and would not fill me up. My husband ordered a half salad and added chicken to it for an extra 5 dollars. The lady beside me ordered a full sized chicken ceasar salad which came in a huge bowl. My husband's half salad came in a small bowl with Gorgonzola, pine nuts and apple as well as chicken and was $12. My full size kale salad that had about 8 almonds a few dried cranberries and a small shred of pecorino cheese on top, came in the same size bowl as my husbands and was $11. We thought there was mistake that they thought I also wanted a half salad but when the bill came they had charged me for a full salad. Nope. We asked our waitress why the full size salad beside us was huge and my husband's half size was the same size as my full size, she told my husband it's because "kale is expensive" I thought that very humorous, I buy kale all the time, it is not more expensive than chicken, or gorgonzola, or pine nuts for that matter. We had to go eat fish tacos after because I was so hungry. I can't believe they were voted #1 on trip advisor, we had 3 meals a day in Laguna beach for 5 days and every meal we had was really good, except this one.

• Visited October 2013