14 West has a lot of perks and pros but it does have some issues. In addition, this was my first stay at a "boutique hotel" and there are some things to consider if you've never stayed at one.
- Location - it's very close to the beach and very close to places to eat and shop. For most people, this is key and this place really gets you right where you want to be.
- Modern - fixtures and furniture give a very chic feeling to the rooms
- Amenities - kitchenette, walk in closet, seating areas, fireplace... fantastic!
- Staffing : the hotel is very small. It has a total of 14 rooms so naturally the staff is very small. Make sure you have everything you need from the staff (answers to questions, extra towels, issues with your room, etc.) from the hours of 9 to 5 because if you come back after dinner, they're not going to be there! There is an after hours number to call but there's a reasonable limit to what can be done after hours. This was something that, in hindsight, is pretty obvious with a small establishment, but at the time was pretty shocking. Most people are used to a 24 hour front desk staff at least.
- Broken fixtures - We had a fairly large number of people staying here together so I did get to see a number of the rooms here. Everyone had one odd light bulb out or something didn't work, a drawer didn't open, or something like that. Unfortunately for us the light bulb that wasn't working was the one in the shower. The bathroom is very contemporary in decor so it was fairly dark in there to begin with. The lack of one out of the two light bulbs was an issue.
- Parking costs - Be aware that there is an extra charge for parking your car!
14 West is enjoyable but do be aware that there are caveats.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer a unique experience unlike a typical hotel. 14 WEST is a collection of 14 studios that provide thoughtful home-like comforts, ideal for a stay of a few nights or a few months. Our distinctive environment presents guests with the opportunity to enjoy 14 WEST’s stylish social terrace or explore the area’s dynamic surroundings. Our prime coastal location is a short walk to many of Laguna Beach’s beautiful beaches and activities. Our on-site amenities and the conveniences of the surrounding area make 14 WEST ideal for extended stays and corporate travelers. We provide a unique extended stay experience unlike "typical" airport and business hotel locations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Travelocity so you can book your 14 West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.