“Stunning setting, snooty staff” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Las Brisas

Las Brisas
Reserve with OpenTable
Las Brisas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 169 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pacific Coast Highway
London, UK
“Stunning setting, snooty staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2005

Let me say first off that I had never heard of Las Brisas before going there and so had no expectations whatsoever. We were recently taken there for breakfast by some relatives while on a road trip through the south-western states.

The first thing that can't fail to strike you about Las Brisas is it's exquisite location. Laguna Beach is an exceptionally pretty town and Las Brisas is perched on a cliff overlooking the Pacific ocean, surrounded by green lawns and palm trees. Step inside and you also won't be disappointed - classic and understated decor makes you feel cosseted without detracting from the drop-dead stunning views to be found outside the windows. But then you have to talk to the staff, and things are less rosy. We arrived before our relatives and were given a rather cold shoulder by the snooty hostess. The place was far from packed, but we were told to wait in the lobby as they were still "fixing our table". Felt rather like spare parts loitering there as there weren't really enough seats for three, and we kept getting haughty stares from the staff. Not exactly an effusive welcome. I strolled outside for a minute or two and returned to find my husband gone. Wasn't sure whether he had gone to the bathroom, taken a stroll in another direction or been seated. So I spent some more time wandering aimlessly around the little lobby until I finally collared the hostess to ask where my husband had gone and she unapologetically said he'd been seated. Hmph.

Not a bad word to say about our table - it was right by the window overlooking the ocean and was beautifully laid. So far so good. But once again, as soon as you had contact with the staff, things seemed to take a turn for the worse. Our waiter (who looked as if he was none too pleased to have us there) poured coffee only for some of us and left the rest of us completely dry. He then promptly disappeared, which left us in the end to walk over to the server where he'd left the coffee pot and pour our own! When he returned and discovered this, he was none too pleased about that either - a no win situation!!

Anyhow, the coffee was good and once we moved onto the breakfast buffet, that looked very good as well - fruit, baked goods, all kinds of egg and meat dishes, little pancakes that looked like giant ravoili, waffles with a variety of toppings, and an area for eggs made to order. Had absolutely delicious Eggs Benedict and bacon before going off to try a made-to-order omelette. Mistake. I asked for bacon, mushrooms and cheese. Next thing, I see the guy frying up onions. Asked who they were for and he said for me. Told him I didn't want onions, so he asked again what I wanted. Repeated my order and he threw away the onions with some rolling of the eyes and started again. In the end I got a ham and mushroom omelette with NO cheese - but by then communication had plummeted to such depths that I didn't want to bother trying to explain. The staff gave the impression of being near the end of the breakfast shift and eager to leave - not a happy combination! Finished off with a waffle with maple syrup and cream (light and crispy - very good) and a restorative Screedriver cocktail (don't ask!!) before takign a walk along the cliff path.

For just over $10 a head, I thought the breakfast was pretty good value, considering the stunning setting and the fact that I could have eaten a LOT more for my money, had I wished. I have to say, though, that the staff do the venue a disservice. And having read the other reviews, I have to wonder whether I didn't get a lucky break by going for breakfast instead of lunch/dinner!

7 Thank Cooksister

• Greek first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
“Terrible-Taco bell is better”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2005

I read a review and went there according to that. For $60 this was one of the worst meals I have ever had-bad, bad-don't waste your money

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orange County, California
“Couldn't agree more!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2004

Couldn't agree more with the previous reviews. All Las Brisas has going for it is its beautiful venue. The staff is arrogant; the food, mediocre at best. Their morning brunch is all carbs, with virtually not a vegetable in sight. I made the mistake of hosting a party there and it was a nightmare: half-filled tostada shells and the wicked witch of the west for a catering manager. Run, don't walk, to anywhere else in beautiful Laguna Beach!

5 Thank ak20042004
Maryland
“Cold reception”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2004

After seeing the other reviews on Las Brisas, I had to put in my two cents' worth. As a single woman vacationing alone, I put high priority on customer service and how comfortable the restaurant/business makes me feel. I went to Las Brisas in the late afternoon and waited in the "open seating" patio as many waiters walked by ignoring me. When I went inside to the hostess stand, again I had to wait while the hostess chatted to another staff member. Finally, she spared enough time to inform me that dinner was not served until 4:30 (another 15 minutes) and she could not seat me until then. Meanwhile, a family of four walked in and she immediately turned to give them a warm welcome. She gave them the same message about the dinner start time, but did encourage them to return. I left and never went back to even try the food. My recommendation: Javier's Mexican Grill and Cedar Creek Inn just down the road - both had nice casual ambience, very friendly staff, and fantastic food!

9 Thank Deecey
Laguna Beach, CA
“Las Brisas--Don't Fall for it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2004

Every tourist season, I notice the Las Brisas Restaurant packed with visitors. And for years, I went back, figuring they had improved. Why else would they do such great business? I finally realized that everyone there HAS to be there for the first time. The expensive food is average to below average. The service is often downright rude. The only upside I can find in this Mexicana restaurant is the incredible ocean view, something one can get for free all over this incredible town, that offers good food and good service in numerous other places. And forget trying to request an ocean view table; they will give you whatever the heck they want.

11 Thank villaguna