“I agree, don't judge a book by its cover!”

Mare Culinary Lounge
Ranked #81 of 168 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cleo St
Description: Upscale Modern Decor Italian from the Alessa and Cucina Alessa Chef Alesandro
Las Vegas, Nevada
“I agree, don't judge a book by its cover!”
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Wow! A friend told us about this restaurant and also said to not be put off that it is in a Holiday Inn. We were seated on the patio, which was lovely. Our service was top notch. We had risotto both the shrimp and the mushroom then shared. Both were excellent but agreed we liked the mushroom the best. Prices were excellent as was the presentation. I look forward to going again soon.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank jzk131

Rancho Mirage, California
“never judge a book by it's cover”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Looking for a place for dinner within walking distance of our hotel, we stumbled on Mare. We were a little skeptical when we got there as it is located in the "lobby/courtyard" of a Holiday Inn. But we're adventurous so we gave it a try. Great decision! Our waitress told us the restaurant had no connection to the hotel. They had taken over the main part of the lobby, and partitioned off a portion of the courtyard to form the dining area. We dined on the courtyard, and what it may have lacked in privacy was more than compensated for by the service and the FOOD. It was one of the best meals either of us have ever had, not just Italian cuisine. We did the small plates which were a misnomer. They were more than enough to satisfy the most ravenous appetites,
we started with a burrata cheese coated in foccacia bread crumbs, flash-fried and served with a pomodoro sauce. It was incredible. We ate every morsel. The texture was wonderful and the sauce was a wonderful balance of acidic and sweetness.
Next we had clams and tiger shrimp in a tomato sauce. very light and tasty.
Then we had their specialty, the Mamma Mia. It was three meatballs in a rich tomato sauce. Sheer heaven, the meatballs were large and tender, very meaty with nota lot of bread as filler. The sauce was the kind that you wanted to use your fingers to clean the plate. That plate would have easily feed three people. There was no need to go beyond the 3 small plates we ordered as these were more than enough. Bet of all the food was very reasonably priced. If you are in the neighborhood, do yourself a favor and give Mare a try. You will be going back. I know we will

• Visited June 2014
3 Thank Ben P
Phoenix, AZ
“Great food and service!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were greeted by a wonderful hostess and then seated in Jillian's section. Upon our request, she gave us some suggestions of a few things to try, so we took her advice and it was delicious!! I had Parmesan Tortellini, and my husband a Pollo al Forno. Jillian's smile and service, along with great food, and a romantic atmosphere, made for a wonderful evening out for us!

Visited May 2014
3 Thank 2ndGenAZnative
Oceanside, California
“Yum”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

About 20 girls came here for a reservation at 8pm. Things didn't start out so well because although we had a reservation our table wasn't ready until closer to 9pm. Luckily after that the service was great. They did an amazing job taking care of our large table and hook us up on some items as well. I loved the appetizers that we shared, including a bunch of their meats and cheeses. The butternut squash ravioli was really good but my favorite was the olive fritte, super yummy! I could have eaten those all night. I had the pollo al forno for my main course and it was also good, the sauce was the best part. The atmosphere was elegant and probably a nice place to go on a date.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Aprilp2412
“Best seafood linguini”
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Surprising little gem of a restaurant attached to the holiday inn. Service was very attentive and prompt. Beautiful flavors in all the dishes. The salsa verde dipping sauce was outstanding. Seafood linguini had just the right amount of spice and the chocolate soufflé cake was a lovely finish to the meal.

3 Thank Helmine B