“Wonderful property!”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of 02 - Villa Teatro

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

winewoman...
Carlisle, Massachusetts
“Wonderful property!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 for a stay in September 2013
person found this review helpful

We are seasoned Laguna Beach visitors - having made it a vacation destination for almost 20 years. After our first few years staying at a hotel, we determined that having a kitchen, a living room and outdoor space was much more appealing to us and our lifestyle - plus more cost effective. That said, this was our first time at The Retreat since it is a relatively new property, and it was a great find! I almost hate to post a good review that will probably draw more guests and make it harder to book!!!

First, the location of The Retreat. It is on the south side of Main Beach within walking distance of everything, including a grocery store. Once you park your car, you won't need it while in the village itself (a huge perk, if you know anything about Laguna Beach and the parking issues). It is located one street back from PCH and yet it is quiet. You don't hear the street noise. Another perk. And best of all is the proximity to the ocean and beach! And there is an outdoor shower, beach towels and chairs! Just walk down the stairs of the property and go left or right. If you don't want the beach, the owners have created a large community deck with tables, umbrellas, gas grill and lounge chairs for all 8 units to share.

Villa Teatro is located toward the back of the property farther from the beach, but don't be put off by that description. It offers easy access to the beach, gorgeous views of the Pacific from the living room as well as from the deck and it is quiet.From the courtyard, as you walk up the stairs to the Villa, you are greeted by the good sized, private outdoor area with dining table, 4 chairs, a gas grill and spectacular views of the ocean. When you enter the unit, you are met with a modern, bright, open and airy, beautifully appointed little "home". The kitchen and bath have granite counters and tile back splashes. The kitchen has stainless appliances with under cabinet lights and the bathroom has a large shower with clear glass door and separate toilet room. An added feature is the half bath just off the living room - which makes this unit work beautifully if there are more than 2 guests sharing the house for a party or over night. The walls are covered with Wyland prints throughout. Very nice touches. The photos on the web site do not represent how nice it is.

In addition to the visual appeal, the unit provides 2 wall mounted TVs, WiFi, a ceiling fan, air conditioning, a parking space, a fully equipped kitchen (including a dishwasher), lovely soft blinds for all the windows and white linens and towels. Also available on the property are 2 washers and dryers (for no additional fee). As an additional positive/kind gesture, when you check in, there is a wonderful gift basket filled with food, wine, coffee, bottled water and information/gift certificates about Laguna. Our gift basket was filled with different items from what other people mentioned in their reviews. So, expect the unexpected! Just receiving a gift basket at all was/is another special thing that sets this property apart from most others where we have stayed over the years. I could get used to being spoiled.

If some readers need me to be picky about the property and not just to talk about what I loved - here are a couple (but really, only a couple) of quirky things that come to mind. Because the sofa in the unit becomes another bed, it is not wildly comfortable. Clothing storage is a bit limited because the bedroom is small and has no room for a dresser. The closet is good, but there are no hooks for bathrobes or sundries, the closet shelf is where the 2 cable boxes and iron/ironing board are located and there are only a limited number of hangars in the closet, so bringing a few might be helpful. (I left 2 of my clip styles for future guests). One of the comforters on the bed had been washed so many times that some of dacron batting is kind of "clumped" up. The pillows are a little hard and maybe it is time for some new ones? No bath mat - so I used a towel. There are no pot holders or food storage containers in the kitchen. But if those are my only "negative" comments, then I feel that this unit deserves high marks!!

The Retreat is a lovely property with 8 individual units. We peaked into some of the other units when they were vacant and being cleaned. Each one is decorated as beautifully as the the others and none of the floor plans are the same. While some of the units are closer to the water than Villa Teatro, we loved our deck, the privacy and the views. We stayed for 5 nights arriving Monday afternoon, and we left with sadness on Saturday morning after our final breakfast outside on our deck. When we checked out, the property manager generously allowed us to keep our car on the property until we were ready to leave Laguna Beach, several hours later. It was a great week.

Though too small to live comfortably for months at a time, this property is a fabulous place to vacation for a single day, a weekend, a week or even a couple of weeks. We will be back! I hope this property stays as beautiful as it is now.

Date of stay: September 2013
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the deck and views from the the property
Liked least: the early morning noise from builders working on nearby properties
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Tabby_D_1...
Hodges, South Carolina
“Wow!!! Could not ask for more!!!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013 for a stay in May 2013

This place was absolutely awesome!! We arrived to a lovely clean villa with the windows open, ocean breeze, and a welcome basket with water, snacks and a whole brick of terrific coffee. Maureen was a wonderful hostess. No extra charge for anything - use of a washer and dryer, beach toys, parking. The location was perfect - my daughters could walk to the beach, grocery store, restaurants and shops. We felt so safe and at home. There were some awesome perks, including a free whale watching trip and certificates for breakfast and dinner - no catch to any of it, just a thanks for staying with them. There is so much to see and do on this beach and The Retreat is a perfect place to stay within walking distance of most everything. I love Laguna - it's not too crowded and packed with tatoo and t-shirt shops - no high rises - you feel more like a local than a tourist here. If I go back to Laguna I will stay here again for sure!!!

Date of stay: May 2013
Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Everything!!!
Liked least: Didn't get to stay long enough!!
Traveling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Channel Islands, UK
Reviewed October 25, 2012 for a stay in October 2012

Date of stay: October 2012
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Santa Monica
Reviewed August 1, 2012 for a stay in July 2012
people found this review helpful

Date of stay: July 2012

san diego
Reviewed July 24, 2012 for a stay in June 2012

Date of stay: June 2012
A romantic getaway Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing