“Disappointed”
Review of Manzanita Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laguna Beach
Manzanita Cottages
Houston, Texas
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

In reading all of the reviews I noticed most of the stays were during the offseason and the weather is comfortable. I booked a stay in the Blue Cottage for a week this September. They look nice and I thought it would be a nice experience in lieu of a hotel. Being from TX and I have stayed in Laguna Beach before, I was looking forward to a change. I was not made aware of no AC in the cottages and when we arrived the cottage was so hot that we could not even remain. When I contacted the owner, she was rude and told me to go to the beach. We setup all of fans and stayed for over 6 hours hoping to come back to a cool place. Even with the 3 fans and windows opened, still hot and humid. We had to leave, get a hotel and could not go back. I am sure this a nice place during the winter season, but, not during summer months. I asked for a refund and again rude response. I am not going to pay for service not received. This was an awful experience and I will never go back to stay at the Cottages. The owers seems to believe that character of the cottages replaces comfort.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank G K
JtoddH, Owner at Manzanita Cottages, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
We have a long history of delighting guests. In fact, we are the highest rated vacation rental property in Laguna Beach, so it's very disturbing to read these distorted comments.

Although she claims that I was rude to her, I never had a conversation with her. It was quite unfortunate that the guest adopted a hostile attitude from the outset and didn't give us a chance to work out an amicable solution.

A couple of things should be pointed out in our defense. The national weather service has on record that the average high was 71 degrees during her stay. Nowhere on our website do we indicate that we have air-conditioning, nor do we show it on the list of amenities on any of the third party travel sites. Our welcome letter which is sent a few days prior to arrival has a link to the weather forecast for Laguna Beach, so there should be no surprises there. Finally, the guest did in fact receive a full refund. Since we didn't promise air conditioning it's hard to argue that we deprived her of a that service.

The guest abruptly vacated the property, took the keys and threatened to hold them hostage until we agreed to provide a refund--not a warm and fuzzy approach to problem solving.

In our twelve years in this business we've never encountered such hostility and obstinacy. We've advised our fellow lodging establishments to beware of bookings from this guest.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Palm Desert, California, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My wife and I just returned from another amazing stay at the Manzanita Cottages. We visited to celebrate our third wedding anniversary and are never disappointed by the great communication and high level of customer service by Diane the property manager and the owner.

Thank you to the entire Manzanita Cottages Team!

Best Regards,

Christopher, Amy & Charlie

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I found these cottages on trip advisor after deciding last minute to drive to Laguna instead of Monterey Ca. Most of the bigger hotels were booked so I decided to check out other options.. Best decision I made!!! This place was so enchanting and we felt so elated that it was better than imagined! The location is great! You will have a bit of a walk but not far.. Mostly on an incline but after all the eating we did, we were glad we had some exercise! Diane was pleasantly helpful and we were able to add an extra night last minute ( it was that great) we are definitely coming back! So happy to give them a review they deserve!
Make sure to try Sirena Grill, walking distance on Mermaid, Romeo Cucina and House Of Big Fish.. All great places to eat. :-)

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank PinkKimono13
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We recently stayed in the Red Cottage. The property manager does an amazing job here! The grounds were perfectly groomed and gorgeous. The flowers were in bloom and the space was picture perfect. Just to sit in the outdoor areas with a glass of wine was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable parts of our trip. The cottage was super clean and charming. The bed was comfortable. It's very conveniently located. We were able to walk to the beach, shops and restaurants from the cottage. It is cozy. If you are expecting a lot of space, you will be disappointed, but the space is used very nicely. We had been staying in hotels through our vacation, and we were the most comfortable here. The place felt huge after staying in hotel rooms. We want to try every cottage, and will be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Esti G
Bellaire, Texas
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My husband, son and I stayed in the blue cottage and our daughter and her family stayed in the yellow one. This was the perfect choice for a multi-family vacation, much better than a traditional hotel. Both cottages are beautifully decorated, the beds are super comfortable, and while the kitchens are tiny, they are well stocked with anything you might need. There's also a grill in the lower garden if you want to cook out. The location is excellent, just a short walk to the beach and restaurants. We spent most evenings hanging in the garden, enjoying the beautiful flowers, watching the many hummingbirds, and sipping wine. It was the most relaxing vacation we have had in a long time. Next time we head back to Laguna, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelJournaler56
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I are planning a trip to Laguna and came across these lovely cottages. I hunted high and low for a good reason not to stay here and I just could not find one. Every review boasts of careful attention to detail, every cottage being clean, comfortable and cozy. The location is great and the price fair, but what sold me was the interaction I've with the management, specifically Pamela Herzer. After every email I sent, I've received a quick and sincere response. Her willingness to help and serve with no strings attached was almost shocking as it rarely exists these days. You better believe I am referring the Manzanita Cottages to friends and family! I can't wait to stay here! *please note that my rating on service is based on my experience. Bc I had to rate the other categories before posting this review I rated based on many other reviews I've read but not on my personal experience.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank NiceandCleanPlease
Salt Lake City
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We attempted to stay at the cottages back in October 2010 and after making reservations and confirming them over and over, we still arrived to find our cottage occupied with another guest! I wrote a less than positive review on Tripadvisor and the owner was very apologetic and offered a complimentary weekends stay should we want to come back. I was very pleased when he still honored this over a year later and we just stayed in the Yellow cottage for our 5th anniversary and it was everything I imagined it would be. Charming, secluded, peaceful and so much better than a hotel! We discovered the lower patio area and had coffee there every morning. We took advantage of the fully stocked kitchen and grill and made dinner 'home' one night and had our breakfast in and packed lunches for the beach. We had the fireplace on alot! I loved how light and bright the Yellow cottage is and how private the patio off the bedroom is! It was a true delight. Diane, the new property manager, even made a flower arrangement for me that my husband was inquiring about. I would not have come back here had the owner not offered us a 'free' weekend...and I am SO glad he did. I will now come back as soon as possible. Maybe once a year! All 4 cottages look equally charming and you can't go wrong staying here. You are a short walk from town and the main beach and then you can come home to your private oasis!

Room Tip: I found the Yellow to be sunny and private