Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Calgary, Canada
“Great Location”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

No frills hotel - you are paying for location. We had a oceanfront room - cool colors. Hallway sometimes smelled of sewage, but I think that is because it is so close to the beach.
Location is great - close to beach and downtown.
Kids really enjoyed the two swimming pools.
Didn't like - small bathroom and carpets.
Overall a good clean hotel and staff was great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2010

I checked into the Pacific Edge on July 20 for just 1 night. The motel looked so-so from the exterior but the photos on Travelocity, etc. of the rooms convinced me to spend a night there.
Dirty room, cracked sink in bathroom, carpet stains, noisy, and overall shabby-ness are what I got for a "deluxe" ocean view room at $290/nt plus the rip-off $20 valet scam. And then the evening got even better.
The little girl at the front desk reccomended a "great" sushi place across the street. I walked across to the restaurant and sat at the sushi bar. A small group of middle aged surfer types were drinking sake shots at the bar and got louder and louder in the space of maybe 20 minutes. All of a sudden one of the fools smashed 2 of the glass refridgerated cases on the sushi bar and blood was streaming down his arm. The manager and waitresses did NOTHING and the bloodied man proceeded to fill glasses of sake, offering them to the stunned restaurant patrons. His blood got on the sleeve of my shirt as well as on several other people's. I mention this to illustrate just how poor the judgement is for the Pacific Edge staff. Who would suggest this kind of joint to one's hotel guests?
Obviously I would never return to this motel. I wasn't expecting it to be the experience of a lifetime... Just simply a decent ocean front motel. Pacific Edge couldn't even deliver a moderatlly poor experience!

• Stayed July 2010
pacedge, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We appologize for your negative experiences.

As a side note we are addressing the carpets and have a complete carpet replacement for our ocean front rooms taking place in October. While this does not take away your experience with us, I wanted to let you know that we are addressing this issue.

With valet parking I would like to know your comments about this service in more detail.

Thank you for letting us know about your experience at the Sushi restaurant. I have called the owner to address what happened. We have never had a complaint about this restaurant in the past so we take this very seriously.

Again, thank you for your comments.
New York
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Pacific Edge is not a five star hotel and does not pretend to be one. It is right for the price, and if the boutique rooms are a bit tight, there is a whole beach outside your door with ample space. The staff are five star. The hotel is affiliated ( somewhat), with a restaurant next to it, that has a manager who is less than courteous and hospitable to questions. My friend and I asked about bar service on the beach and were literally scolded. Maybe he was having a bad day.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
pacedge, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2010
We are happy that you had a nice time while staying with us and for taking the time to write this review.

I will be contacting the manager at the Beach House and addressing your comments directly, I appologize on their behalf as we send a lot of customers there and take your experience very seriously.

Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
Tampa
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The hotel looked great on the web site but was a huge disappointment! We reserved a one bedroom apartment on the web for 5 people and learned upon arrival that it had only a queen bed in a room without a door and a pull out couch. They were willing to comp us the extra cot but it was not satisfactory. We also received emails prior to check in about suite and ocean front upgrades for as little as $30 a night but none were available. The front desk said they were full but the email goes out antway. We viewed several room options and we observed others doing the same so I suspect this is a common problem. We settled on two adjoining rooms but had to pay $50 a night more! The kitchenette was not equipped. You had to pay extra for dishes. If you do not have an ocean front room you do not feel you are at the ocean at all. The manager sent a post-stay email asking for our feedback but they never responded to us. We travel with our three teenagers all the time and this was a huge disappointment! It was old, run down and definitely not worth the money! They also hit you with the $20 a day parking which is not on the website. STAY AWAY!!!

1 Thank Gaertner-Tampa
Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences here on Trip Advisor.

Our upgrade program can work out great at times. With that being said we do fill up during the summer, especially on weekends. The upgrades usually become available if someone cancels which is very rare in the summer.

Our parking is noted on our website as valet parking only and the price is mentioned in the terms and conditions when you make your reservation. I will see if there is a way for us to make this a more obvious note on our website.

Thanks again for staying with us.
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed July 21, 2010

We have been staying at this property for many years and have told many people of how wonderful it is to stay at the edge of the Pacific Ocean! We recently had our annual visit here. I received an email from the “General Manager”, when I checked in and when checked out. I would have thought that he would have responded to email I sent to him regarding my recent stay. I also see that he responds to post here! So, It has been 2 wks and no response from him!
We stayed in the Bahia, since all of the oceanfront rooms were reserved. We enjoy these rooms for the size and if your room is high enough you can see the water. Valet Parking was directly under our room balcony and the noise level was extreme at times. The main disruption and discomfort was the wedding party that was going on all Saturday night. I was told that the noise would quite at 10pm… well at 10:50pm I called the front desk since the thumping music seemed to be getting louder. By 11:30pm it did stop, however, at 11:45pm a truck came to pack up and the noise from that was amazing, I will be surprised if they have any dishes and serving trays that were not broken! That went on until about 12:30am. In the evening we like to sit out on the balcony and do crafts with the kids, however, that became impossible since some of the guest gathered outside near the valet and smoked and talked very loudly using very profane language that I did not need my children to hear. So, our night was really ruined since we needed the space outside on the balcony for the kids!
IF I had known that a wedding was scheduled, I would have requested a different location. This should have been told when we checked in and we could have been aware! Any party at the hotel will be disruptive to guests in most of your rooms! I expressed all of this to the front desk representative at check out. Like I said, we have enjoyed this hotel for many years; however, I will really consider all of this before making plans to return. The Hotel is a great location, but if you can put up with their money making wedding party noise.....go for it. It is certainly NO longer the fun and family hotel Vacation Village. The staff was great, but they said they were trying to make it into a resort....my question since they way it is now, can never be a resort....when do they plan to blow it up and start over?

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Than you for taking the time to post your reviews on Trip Advisor and thanks for your continued support over all of these years.

We have, as you experienced, made changes to the hotel and will continue to make improvements along the way. I appologize for the noise issue that was outside your patio doors. While we attempt to control what happens on Sleepy Hollow Lane (a public street) as much as possible sometimes we end up with a situation like the one that had such a negative affect on your stay.

We again thank you for taking the time to post your experiences here on Trip Advisor and appologize for your experiences on your recent visit.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 20, 2010

We arrived with our 3 high school kids and the room, which I booked, was 2 queen beds, but still too small. I asked at the front desk and Desarae was amazing. She found us a 1 bedroom for only 30 dollars more. We moved that moment and stayed in that room for 1 week. The rooms were clean and large with a nice balcony. Everyone that worked there from the office to the valets, to the beach boys, to the housekeeping were extremely accomodating. They have beach toys for the kids and unlimited number of beach chairs, which they are more than happy to set up and take down for you.
This is a big hotel right on the beach with a small hotel feeling.
I can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
We are so happy that you enjoyed your visit with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Tremonton, Utah
Reviewed July 20, 2010

NIGHTMARE!!! We attempted to cancel and get a refund with-in a 30 minutes. The website is far from accurate when describing this hotel/ shanty. The 20 dollar valet, (That still had the 4 dollar sign up), was unable to tell us were our car would be parked. We didnt even unpack because the room next to us was so noisy. The neighbors had 4 adults, 2 children and one screaming baby into a room that small. We switched rooms because we could not get money back. Disregarded dishes outside the hotel rooms were sitting 14 hours. The beach entrance from the hotel was shut down for repair. The Hotel is under construction, The front appearance is a tourist trap. After that is becomes a third world country. The wake-up call is at 6:30, it is hammering 8ft from you wall. RUN

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Campinggiant
I am so sorry about your recent experience.

Our construction is officially over (As of July 2nd). I know that the noise was a signifcant issue during your stay with us and for that I appologize.

Room service dishes certainly should have been removed, I have met with the restaurant and our housekeeping team and addressed this specifically.

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience here on Trip Advisor, we take your comments and experiences seriously.