“total beach experience”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
las Vegas nv
Reviewed June 11, 2005

right on the beach, beautiful sunsets, close to everything. Park the car and walk everywhere. Cant beat the beach experience. Been going there since 1974 and wouldnt stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Reviewed June 1, 2005

After staying at the Hollywood Orchid Suites during our Souther CA excursion, I figured no other hotel would match it. Our last leg was a relaxing stay at Laguna Beach, and this is the place I chose based upon some travel guides I had purchased. It was easy to get to ("easy" being a relative term for Southern CA), and when I entered the room, I was stunned. It might have been even bigger then the aforementioned hotel, and was brighter and had a better layout. We had two connecting rooms that basically formed a single suite, and both could be private and had ample sleeping room for five. The boys and I slept in a king, and the girls each had a double. We weren't in the annex that was right on the beach, but it was just a short walk from where we were, and we could also easily walk into town (and what a cool town it is). I might not stay here on a honeymoon, but I don't think you can beat it for a family. And it's waaaaaay cheaper than the other family type places nearby.

Perhaps something has changed since our stay to make this a less than adequate place (based on some of the more recent reviews), but from my experience, I'd not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2004
2  Thank PAVacationer614
Reviewed May 23, 2005

I was so nervous about going to this hotel after reading the reviews. I changed my reservation 3 times from the capri and the riviera and am so happy I did. Did NOT encounter ANY of the problems that the other reviews complained about and had a very enjoyable stay. It's NOT the Ritz but for the $, it's great especially being RIGHT on the beach.
If you are looking for a nice place that's the closest to the main beach and you can walk to everything, plus eat at the delightful beach house restaurant, this is your place. (But there's no continental breakfast.) I don't think they have any problems getting guests as it was mostly full. IN fact, I'd avoid laguna altogether on the weekend as it is a very crowded so unless you are on the beach, it's a bit noisy.
Maybe the negative reviews were to keep people away? The only thing I didn't get was the extra 10% off like that lucky person who got 20% off did.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank calady50
Phoenix
Reviewed April 11, 2005

We stayed at vacation village last weekend. Our 9 mont old daughter had black hands and feet after crawling on the carpet. The shower was falling apart and the room was a dump. The view was nice but it wasn't worth the view.

• Stayed: April 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Il
Reviewed March 18, 2005

This was our second stay in Laguna in recent years. We thought we try staying someplace new. We were very disappointed and checked out after one night. The hotel is very spread out and the parking is terrible. We had to park far from the building our room was in and drag our luggage past a very junky looking parking area and exterior. We then got on the dinky and smelly elevator. Our room also smelled musty and we had to unplug the mini fridge because it made too much noise. The bathroom was large and had a nice jacuzzi tub which did have plenty of warm water. The people in the office were nice and did not give us any trouble when we cancelled our additional night. We then moved to Hotel Laguna, which has a much better location, and clean, non- musty rooms.

• Stayed: February 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 28, 2005

The room stank...we were afraid to take off our shoes...the carpet was damp...it stunk...we could hear every work our neighbors said...and the maintenance man at 7:00 am on SATURDAY MORNING! WE could overhear the neighbors talking about buying incense to make the room stink go away. Did we mention that there was a smell?
My friend and I looked at each other, and called the Ritz. It was worth $500 per night to escape THE SMELL of Vacation Village. And my friend can't smell!
She said she thought it looked like I told her it smelled!
Mold in the shower calking. Children were horrified/traumatized. One cold pool. Oh, and a wierd smell. The only redeeming quality was the staff..they were downright cheerful when we told them that we had to get the hell out before we went nuts.
We checked in to the Surf and Sand (Ritz was full...best for us) down the road. Depends on how much a clean smelling room is worth to you....(WE did make up a REALLY funny song about the place (see our title above) which made it more fun.
It was really cheap...but it smelled.
ps. It was so gross we took photos of ourselves here...I am so mad now that I deleted them!

• Stayed: February 2005
6  Thank samwatts
San Diego
Reviewed February 8, 2005

This was the worst hotel experience I've ever had. There were hairs (not from your head) left in the unclean room. If you have pictures of cabanas with nice chairs etc, think again. You get crusty rusty chairs (make sure you've had a tetnis shot before your next visit). It was so bad that when we checked out (10 minutes after we checked in), the manager wasn't even surprised. I got the feeling he gets this a lot. Its somewhat of a scam. A four day cancellation policy (cause they know if you saw it, you'lld never keep your reservation. So they get their money either way. Shameful really. What a waste of such prime real estate. This is an honest review meant to save others the heartache we experienced. Alls I can say is Josie Grosie...

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member