“Javid is the Best!”

Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My boyfriend and I made an unexpected trip to Laguna to give a friend a lift, and decided to stay there last minute. It was the 13th of February and we thought, it's late, we'll stay here to celebrate Valentine's Day. I found the room on Hotel Tonight (one of my favorite apps) and it was so affordable. I could not believe that I paid less than $200 on a holiday weekend on a beachfront hotel in Laguna.

On top of that, Javid at the front desk was more than accommodating he made us feel welcome, gave us great recommendations for dinner, and even sent us a bottle of wine. His coworkers seemed equally welcoming, but he really made our stay special. The beach towel and chair service steps away from your room, a large hot tub, my favorite bathroom products (it's a line called LATHER), it was magical! Thank you Javid :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chelsey C
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Sounds like a lovely getaway! We're so glad that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your time with us, Chelsey, and that Javid and the rest of our team made you feel at home. That's our goal! Thanks for sharing your kind words, and for making us a part of your Valentine's Day celebration. We'd love to have you back again next year—or sooner!

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Here's the thing: the location is unbelievable. We watched the sun go down over the water at night and the dolphins frolicking in the morning. It's a short walk to the shops and restaurants of Laguna Beach. The staff is amazing--friendly and prompt. The service was impeccable.

But...

These are converted apartment buildings. The property has seen better days, even for beachfront.

I can't speak to the single rooms, perhaps they have been remodeled. The apartments, though, have not. Original kitchen--including stained sink, horribly chipped counter and basic wood cupboards. Original bathroom--old vanity, small tub shower, tiny toilet space, one sink. The carpet is worn and thin, and the furniture--while reaching for a beach cottage feel--looks more garage sale. The tv remote did not work well in either room. There is a huge balcony with one tiny table and two tiny chairs. No couch.

In addition, the kitchen is not stocked. I normally travel with my three kids and we look for these types of accommodations so that we can cook and eat meals in. It would not be possible in this kitchen. They brought us a kitchen pack which consisted of a few pots and pans, old and worn melamine cups and plates and cheap plastic utensils. Nothing to help wash or dry dishes--no drying rack or sponge or soap.

If a family was staying here for an extended period of time, it would take $40-$60 to get the kitchen ready to function.

So my take away from all this is that at these prices, the owners must think we should be grateful for the location. But for this mom, the comfort of a suite at national chain is worth staying a few blocks further from the beach.

Room Tip: If you don't need the apartments, don't choose them. Go ocean front. But if you choose the a...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank msjen141
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Jen. It's wonderful that you and your family spotted dolphins off the coast — that stunning view is not to be missed! I'm sorry that the kitchen and the older decor put a damper on your stay, though. We're actually in the process of renovating our rooms. We'd love to have you and your family stay with us during your next getaway to check out all of our upgrades!

Until then,

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I chose Pacific Edge for an extended weekend getaway from snowy NY and I must say the property met my expectation. I work in travel and am very peculiar with where I stay. The staff was most welcoming and friendly. I had set up my reservation with Kelsi who assisted me with everything I needed prior to check in, answered all of my questions, and went above and beyond to make sure my requests were met. We had upgraded our original room stay to an ocean view and it was well worth it. You also get nice reminder emails about your upcoming stay to ensure everything is set.

The hotel itself has a great Californian surf feel to it. On arrival our GPS took us through the back to the valet area/Surf Wing via Sleepy Hollow. For those wondering valet is $24 a night. There really isn't anywhere else to park and if you don't want to be inconvenienced it's your best bet.We were directed up the steps to get the elevator to go to the lobby. Now, the main building for check in is separate from the rest of the rooming areas, I would say, think of it like a campus setting. You get to the lobby from Coast Hwy, just drive straight up and along, it will be on the right hand side.

Staff was super friendly, delivered our luggage, and if you are a Joy of Life member, you get a complimentary amenity, upon arrival to my room I was greeted by a nice employee and bottle of chardonnay. Nice membership perk.

My room: loved it, I was in 601 in the Surf Wing, newly renovated ocean view room. It is a king bedded room. Super clean, loved the decor, very chill/surf, and just Laguna! The hotel offers coffee around 6a in the lobby and complimentary coffee in the room. My room had great wooden type floors, a little pirate anchor, cool banner, iPod deck, flat screen TV, fridge with items for purchase (food, water, sodas, alcohol etc) It is very spacious and I loved the balcony, very nice space and area to relax, little table outside and 2 chairs, great view of the ocean, best for sunrise and sunset! The bathroom was very clean, bright, and up to date. The towels were nice, so were the amenities. The shower gel, shampoos, conditioners were lemon grass scented, my favorite! Nice closet space, drawers etc. My room was above the Deck restaurant. If you are on your balcony others can see you, so it's not super private but it worked for me. I thought it was great. Anytime you need your car, you call valet about 10m in advance and they pull it right out for you (they are quick too). Anything you need, just call the main lobby, they usually have an answer to a question and can accommodate most requests. Room service arrived a little late but that was it, not a big trouble for me and they did a great job at tidying the place up for us. There are also complimentary activities, I unfortunately didn't stay long enough to enjoy but they can help set you up with things to do.

You can walk down to the beach via the side of the SW and it’s a nice stretch of sand and beach. If you walk down it far enough you will reach the town side of things. There are volleyball nets and locals just enjoying the environment. People jogging, walking their dogs, surfing, playing sports. Very chill vibe. I went for a morning run each morning. There are also sitting areas and towels on the beach for guests.
I think the Deck is such a cool place. Nice décor, wonderful view of the ocean. I had breakfast there, service was nice. Staff was friendly and quick to greet. I had a great breakfast burrito and pineapple juice. As a fan of mason jars I thought it was great that the water/drinks are served in really cool blue Mason Jars. I really enjoyed having my breakfast to the sound of the waves and great view.

I also did a quick tour with one of the front desk girls as I wanted to see what the meeting space was like. Unfortunately I couldn't see the main event area but she did show me the Bungalows that guests can rent out either for the day or for a corporate event. My company hosts lunches/ events and I thought the Bungalows were really great for groups of about 10-12. Or you could rent out multiple bungalows and the patio area to accommodate larger groups. Each Bungalow has its own theme (surf, art, contemporary), something for everyone to choose from. My personal favorite was the Hobie.

There are 3 pools I believe; on my way to my room I had seen the ones by the Surf Wing and the Jacuzzi there. To the right off the pool there is also a hangout area with a vendor machine, pool table, and space to just relax. I saw a few kids in this area, I guess this is where they hang out and don't think they have a kid only or adult only pool (maybe something to think about as I saw couples around) I don't think anyone was bothered though, saw couples, families, people on own etc. It's fun place for a girl's/guy's trip. Pacific Edge is literally within walking distance of town, you walk up Sleepy Hollow and to the right or left, there are shops and just plenty of restaurants, bars, shops, tons to do! I loved the location! Great great great location!

All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel to guests, locals, visitors. It’s just a cool vibe. The outside hall area could use a little updating but that was about it. Property overall was clean, you could see the maids/housekeeping walking around, and cleaning crews. It’s a good property all for group trips, get everyone together in a wing and you are all set. They are associated with a spa a few steps away down the road called Athena (if you are wondering, it's within walking distance on the same block and I believe guests get a discount, ask the Front Desk for specifics). Again, I recommend the Surf Wing as it’s closest to the beach and where the ocean front rooms are. The others areas (village rooms) and such are just maybe a 4-5 minute walk down the back of the property to the beach, not bad at all, although I'm not sure what the inside of those rooms look like. I'm basing my experience off of a newly renovated full ocean view room (so awesome!)

Location to other areas: about 20m from Huntington Beach, about 7minutes from Newport (dining at Javier's is a must for Mexican food), and you are in the heart of Laguna Beach!

Thumbs up to Pacific Edge, can’t wait to return!

Room Tip: Beach Front Room. I was on the 3rd floor. Balcony was on the far left. They are renovating the other...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

You can't beat that beautiful ocean front view, right? I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, Amanda-Kristina. Thank you for sharing so many details! You painted a great picture for future guests, which is much appreciated. I bet you were ready to escape the New York weather for a fun beach vacation. I hope you enjoyed your trip to Laguna Beach! The next time you visit, we'd love to have you stay with us again.

Take care,

Reviewed January 31, 2014

We stayed at Pacific Edge Hotel for 5 days, and truly had an exceptional experience. The staff consistently went above and beyond throughout the entire stay. At check-in, Stacie at the front desk was an amazing start to our vacation - she accommodated our requests and was so friendly, happy, and had great suggestions for food and activities during our stay in Laguna. The whole staff was incredibly helpful throughout the entire stay. Our room location was unbelievable - literally 8 steps from our room door to the sand. The room was clean and spacious, and we loved having a full size kitchen and electric fireplace in our room! So romantic and fun!

3  Thank Mike and Marie C
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Stacie and the rest of the team will be thrilled to hear from you, Michael! Thank you for making us a part of your romantic getaway, and for taking the time to sing our praises. We can't wait to welcome you back again next year—or sooner!

All the best,

Reviewed January 30, 2014

The Pacific Edge Hotel is pleasant with a great location. We had a deal through travel zoo so had a very good value stay - even though we then paid extra for the room upgrade.It is wonderful to look out over that gorgeous bay and to walk along the beach watching the sun go down. The foyer and staff are really nice and welcoming, the rooms very large and bright if a little tired in places. The public area (the staircases around the rooms) do need updating, they feel a bit like a 60's student hall. We went and ate at the The Deck and had a really good evening. The appetisers were plenty for us, very generous and tasty.

Room Tip: It is well worth the upgrade to an Ocean View Room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

Yes, the view doesn't get any more stunning! Although we're glad you enjoyed it, we did want to mention that we are in the middle of renovating, and hopefully you'll love the changes during your next visit. Until then, thanks for staying with us! We'd love to have you back soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Just got back from a 2 day stay at the Pacific Edge. We had a warm welcome from the polite staff and the location of the resort was good. The valet parking guys were good as well.
However, the room was very outdated. Appliances and cupboards in the kitchen must have been from the early 70's and the kitchennette was awful. No kitchen supplies. The fridge froze all our groceries on LOW setting...The room smelled very musky and was unpleasant... Dirty carpet.. no privacy... no window shades in the kitchen.... dirty drapes... We did not look forward to coming back at the end of the day. I will not ever book this place again. Old and run down. Vallet parking was a pain in the but to deal with as well. Not worth the money!!

2  Thank dan m

Although several of our rooms are still in need or renovations, we have never believed that they could be considered dirty. In fact, or housekeeping staff works hard to ensure that every room is spotless, so your comments were quite surprising. That said, I will certainly check in with them about this, Dan, but I wish that we had been able to move you to a room more suitable to your liking—don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to discuss this with you further if you'd like to talk, but until then, thanks for your candor. It will only help us better ourselves as we work to complete our renovations.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed here for a relaxing weekend on the beach and that was exactly what we experienced. I suggest booking the beachfront rooms-the views were stunning. The hotel is close to all the restaurants and shops; everything was within walking distance. Everyday we walked out onto the beach, the attendant provided lounge chairs and an umbrella, and towels. The staff was friendly and helpful and we plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you request an oceanfront room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Yes, that view is truly amazing! Thanks for unwinding with us, Kristen, and for taking the time to sing our praises. We would love to have you back again, but in the meantime, let us know if there's anything we can do to make your next stay even better!