“Friendly staff although they didn't ever come to my room when I called for something, perfect view if you get a beach view, outd” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel

Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend surprised me with a stay here one night, when we walked in to our beach view room on the 3rd floor it was very clean and spacious the beds were comfy and tv was alright I think they could get a little more modern though since there is more modern looking places near by for the same price. There lobby is very nice which is why I expected so much for the room. The view and patio is where I spent the whole day and night and even morning the view is breathtaking and you can tell its one of the best views available compared to the other hotels on the street. The chairs out there aren't comfy but there super cute. We were planning in staying in for room service but there wasn't very many options to be honest so we went ahead and went to Bjs down the street and brought it back to the room. Also we went shopping on the little streets near by and took a walk on the beach at sunset if it wasn't for the view than this place wouldn't be nothing but it definitely saves the place and I'll always remember this special little trip. Also my boyfriend mentioned since we already had to stay 2 nights mandatory on weekend than the parking should be cheaper or something for the cars.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Georgia L
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thanks for staying with us, Georgia! While I do appreciate your candid feedback and your suggestions about our room service and parking, I'm happy to see that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your getaway. Hopefully your next visit is worthy of five stars, but until then, thanks for the wonderful review!

Regards,
Bill Tremper, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

This place is bad. Room service doesn't answer. The menu is small and the choices are weak. The room is nasty. I feel like someone could break into the room at any moment. Bathroom is tiny and the kitchen is the same. Over all this is the worst place I've stayed in Laguna.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Rvad268
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
We're proud to call Laguna Beach home, so it's upsetting to hear that you found your stay to be so dissatisfying. However, we can assure you that we are in the midst of making the necessary upgrades for our guests, and we would have been happy to move you to another room if you had let us know about this. Still, we appreciate your feedback, and we hope to have another chance to show you a great time during your next stay in Laguna.

Thousand Oaks, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding this past weekend and were frankly surprised at the poor service and aging conditions of the facility. The location is great, with a nice beach out front; the small lobby is modern and comfortable; the food and service at The Deck restaurant (part of the hotel) was great. But somebody needs to explain to the owners and management of this hotel that they are in the "hospitality" industry. At check-in and other times we had to deal with the front desk, the attitudes ranged from mildly pleasant to impatient and condescending. At no time were we made to feel welcome, certainly. And when I left my car with the valet (I had to drive it around back to find them), the attendant was unfriendly, bordering on surly. And it went downhill from there. I travel a lot but I live here in SoCal and, okay, I know that we're not known for hospitality, but this place was surprisingly embarrassing to our friends from out of state. Our rooms were small and old (rusting metal in the tub drain) and we had to ask for bath towels. On our checkout day, apparently the entire building (there are few small buildings clustered together that comprise this hotel) was out of hot water. We asked for a checkout time extension and were given 30 minutes. Mind you the check out time is 11am and check in is 4pm - no other hotel I've stayed in in the past many years has such a long turnover time. Only after a number of calls that had to get increasingly insistent, did they admit that the entire building was without hot water and agreed to give us more time to get ready for our event. And even then, the front desk woman was impatient, unapologetic, and snippy. So... we checked out, moved our luggage to the room of someone else in our party who was staying longer, and attended our event. When I had my car brought up from valet, a large plastic piece under the engine was dragging on the ground. For some reason that no one would explain to me, they have moved by car from where it had been parked all day previously. It was Sunday night, so there was no manager on duty, but the attendant reached him by phone. He immediately contended I had given them the car in this condition, which of course was ludicrous (it's a specialty car that is pampered to say the least). He was contentious, rude, impatient, condescending, and entirely uninterested in exploring reasonable optional explanations for what had happened, simply ignoring any question I posed that related to why my car was moved, why he hadn't said anything to me about the condition of the car if indeed that was his position - and never anything close to "we're sorry for your inconvenience" (I needed to drive home some 95 miles that night). We got some assistance from the security guard (the loan of a flashlight) and we were able to remove the loose piece (the father of the groom in his tux and I on our backs under the car) so that car was safely drivable. The only one to offer any pleasantness was the attendant whose English wasn't great, but his gentlemanly-ness was not impaired "I'm so sorry for this inconvenience, whatever the cause was". What a different conversation it would have been if his boss had started his phone call with that. While it was pointed out to me that the valet service is a separate company, subcontracted by the hotel, the experience is all the responsibility of the hotel. Our overall experience was ugly - we're local (SoCal) and have the opportunity to refer visitors often. Laguna Beach is a great place - visit it by all means. Just stay away from this disappointment.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank TravelinDadfromTO
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
I'm very surprised to hear of your disappointment. Our team works hard to make sure that all of our guests feel at home here in Laguna Beach, and the attitude you described is completely out of the ordinary. I'm so sorry that you left feeling this way—we should have made sure that we did everything in our power to make this right for you, especially when dealing with the valet. While they are a separate company, I will certainly discuss your comments with them for their future reference. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and don't hesitate to reach out if you'd like to talk.

Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

This place is the perfect spot if you're budget conscious and/or seeking a place to spend a night or two. It's location is ideal and only a few steps from the beach itself, no matter where you stay in the hotel. Yes, the carpet is older, the paint is worn and it could use some renovation. However, by no means is this place 2nd class. It's staff are friendly, courteous and prompt to any issue or need that arises, including setting up free-of-charge lounge chairs, beach umbrellas and towels. The valet are fast and have your car ready in moments. The beds/sheets are clean. The walls are a little thin, so just a heads-up to couples ;) You can hear the ocean from your room, as well. Completely relaxing!

Room Tip: Rooms on the side offer no room-view of the ocean. If that's your desire, upgrade to a west-faci...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cwgreer
There's nothing better than being lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves! I'm so happy to hear that you were able to unwind with us, and that you loved every minute of your stay. Thanks for the kind words, and keep us in mind next time you need to get away!

hartlepool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

The only stop on our trip with no record of my booking!!
I felt really disappointed too as this was the last stop on our trip and one which I had been having twitter conversations with the hotel since our booking in July.
We were kept waiting whist Akiko checked the computer for our booking. it took 20 mins to sort and to apologise Akiko upgraded us to room 505 a junior suite with Ocean View.
I had booked a Beach front room but would have been allocated a room in a different block of the hotel (REEF). Akiko explained that these rooms hadn't been brought as up to date as those in Surf Wing and if you look at the hotel website you can see this
The hotel has a welcoming lobby that is beautifully decorated and furnished. The hotel rooms are in separate blocks on the site.
We were delighted with our room in SURFING WING. It was a corner suite directly above the bungalows with stunning views of the bay and Ocean
The room is decorated in a contemporary style and we loved the bar, bar stools and kitchen with fridge and coffee machine
The bathroom was small with shower so I took over part of the kitchen for all of my stuff!
The glass doors open up onto a large balcony with table and chairs
We were delighted with our upgrade but if I'd paid for this then the noise from others partying in the bungalows below would have bugged me.
Breakfast is not included and you pay for valet parking.
WI Fi is free and you get discounts at some restaurants and shops in Laguna when you show them your key card
There are steep steps to the beach
There is a pool and hot tub which we didn't use - didn't look inviting, overlooked by motel style rooms and in the shadows- besides look at the beach!!
It was perfect for our three night stay and would make a cool weekend break for the young or young at heart
I have popped on a pic of the hotel site map

Room Tip: High up on rooms 700+ in SURF WING ought to do it. Also if you get a corner room you wont be overloo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank smallluxuryitem
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to leave such detailed feedback. Although we are aware that there are a few areas in need of improvement, it's very helpful to have input like yours as we move forward. Still, it seems like you enjoyed your stay, and we couldn't be happier to hear that. Thank you, and hopefully your next trip is worthy of the five stars you deserve.

All the best,
West Chester, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My family and I chose this hotel for the great price and location. Originally, I booked a standard village front room. The lady at the front desk was super friendly and accommodating. Upgrading was not in my budget and we were just happy with the location of the property. Upon checking into our room we were able to get a glimpse of an ocean front room. Wow!!!! Breath taking. So we upgraded one night of our 2 nights here. Although, not in my budget...it was worth every penny. The room was fabulous, view unforgettable. We slept great with the waves crashing in the beach. Thanks for an amazing trip!!! My girls and I have already spread the word and all our pics to family, friends and all of Facebook.

Room Tip: We booked a standard village room. The room was okay....but had the chance to see a ocean front room...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robin E
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Breathtaking, indeed! We're so lucky to get to wake up to this beautiful view every morning, and we're thrilled that you and your family loved it, too. Thanks for staying with us, Robin, and for spreading the word to your family and friends. We can't wait to welcome all of you back again!

All the best,
north carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I chose this hotel for the price we got and really didn't expect to like it. My husband and I stayed in Laguna Beach because my daughter and son in law moved to their first house near by and we came to help.We only needed a clean bed but got so much more. On arrival we tried to get a renovated room, but they were all taken. We had the old motel type room, but the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful.He gave us a room with an ocean view.
The room was old but well decorated and the bed was heavenly.Great sheets and pillows.
Our next door neighbors decided to party late one night, and as soon as we reported it, we had silence.
The first night, we were really bothered by the air conditioner noise, but when we got used to it it was great white noise.The sound was constant, not the alternating loud and soft of most cheap motels.
The room had everything we needed including a hair dryer, shampoo and conditioner, great towels and a coffee maker with coffee.
We even went in the hot tub one night and it was the biggest I've seen with the perfect temp.
Very clean with towels, and no one else in it.
The staff recommended excellent restaurants for breakfast and dinner.
The common areas are very beachy looking with a nostalgic 50's feel.
We loved it and would stay there again if in that area.

Room Tip: at least try to face the ocean to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gsoncnative
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
After helping your daughter and son-in-law move to their new home, it was our pleasure to help you unwind! Sounds like you and your husband did just that, and we're thrilled to hear it. Thanks for the fantastic review, and be sure to come back and see us next time you're in our neck of the woods!

Cheers,