New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Phoenix, Arizona
“family vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Pros: Decent price (booked through Priceline), nice decor, friendly staff.
Cons: A bit outdated furniture, bathroom is tiny, having to walk a bit of a way to the beach unless you get the ocean view room, didn't expect this since i have to carry my kids. Also, it was a bit noisy when we were there, can almost hear anything going on around us...

Overall, a decent place to stay if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for beachfront hotels.

Room Tip: If you have money, go for the ocean view rooms. A lot quieter and nicer.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lannie18
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
I apologize if we were a bit unclear about the location of your room, Lannie. Carrying your little ones can definitely make beach trips more difficult, and we'll certainly keep that in mind for our future guests. That said, I'm glad you found us at a great deal, and that our team made you feel at home. We have several renovations coming up, and I know you'll be thrilled with the results. Hope you'll consider giving us another try next time you need to get away!

Take care,
Bill Tremper, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have stayed in Laguna beach for three days, unfortunately it's not long enough. I don't think I have had a more relaxed stay in a hotel in my life. The location is fantastic, only a short walk from restaurants, shops and cafes. The views are to die for if you book a sea view room. The staff are very friendly, and the room we had was nicely decorated and had a large flat screen TV. My wife and I are planning to visit here for longer. So don't be put off by the bad reviews. Mr and Mrs Wilson.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Paul W
We couldn't be happier to read your kind words, Paul! On behalf of our entire team, thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your story with fellow travelers. Looking forward to welcoming you back!

Cheers,
Bermuda Dunes, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I could not recommend this place we paid for a two bedroom suite. The carpet was dirty, the place was worse than a low grade hotel with high prices. Buyer Beware . The adjoining restaurant was great view. the bathroom had hair on the floor and mildew. A/C did not work properly and it smelled.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CharWhit
This is very disappointing. We take pride in offering our guests a luxurious getaway, but it's apparent that we fell short. I must apologize, and I'd like to make this right. Please reach out us at bookpacificedge(at)jdvhotels(dot)com if you'd like to discuss this further.

Regards,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

The perfect example of a bait and switch. The hotel's website, Expedia, hotels.com, and others are all showing the same picture for the rooms. When you get to the hotel, you will be in for the switch. We booked a room with two full beds and upgraded to the ocean view. When we arrived, the room wasn't ready so they told us to wait on the beach and they would call. 2.5 hours later, still no call and so I decided to call (They told me the room was vacated when they told me 2.5 hours ago). They told me the room is still not cleaned and the housekeeper is on lunch. I am now irritated by this. When we finally got our room, the best part of this place was the view. It's right on the ocean. That's the only great thing about the place, the location and view. The door to the room isn't locking properly (as 2 girls staying in the room) that's not good! We seriously placed a chair on the door handle to prevent it from being opened at night while we're sleeping. The bathroom is really cramped. The staff isn't very helpful either. They had no answers to any of my questions. The only helpful staff were the valet guys. I left an item in the room as we were checking out and remembered as the room closed with the key in the room. I asked a hskp to open the door so I can get it and she wouldn't. I had to go all the way back up to the lobby to get an extra key. I asked for a late checkout and the front desk said she'll give me 20 more minutes. Is that a joke? Being used to getting actual service in hotels that I stay, this was very disappointing. I guess this place isn't really a real hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank amontrip
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
I wish that we had been able to offer you a more relaxing vacation, but after reviewing your comments, it is clear that we fell short in terms of service. The attitudes you received and untimely, disorganized service are simply unacceptable, and I know that we're better than this. I want to make this right for you, so please don't hesitate to email us at bookpacificedge(at)jdvhotels(dot)com if you want to talk. Until then, please accept my sincere apologies.

Regards,
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Before I arrived at this hotel I was extremely anxious. The reviews after we booked it seemed to be very negative and I was very close to cancelling the reservation! Travelling all the way from Ireland I wanted my stay in all my hotels to be perfect because I couldn't afford to come out and do it all again the right way!

Luckily, I didn't cancel and thank god! Firstly, the staff are really nice and were really chatty during checkin and really helpful giving us information on restaurants in the area. The room we were allocated was absolutely amazing, two seconds away from the beach which is exactly why we wanted to visit laguna beach!

A lot of complaints about the rooms being a bit run down and I have to agree to an extent. However, everything worked just fine. The bed was lovely, the kitchen was a welcome extra along with the table and two chairs. The bathroom was perhaps the worst element, but to be honest the whole experience was so lovely I didn't care.

Overall I think the vibe of this hotel is spot on. Is it really fancy and modern? No. However it is welcoming, clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. It's location is fantastic and everything you could want is within a walkable distance. If you're worried about coming here don't be because it is lovely.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CM218
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
We're so happy that you stayed with us! When you're coming from Ireland, we definitely understand how you would want to ensure that every single bit of your stay is perfect and I'm delighted that we were able to provide that for you. You can't go wrong with our location, that's for sure.

Needless to say, we'd absolutely love to welcome you back to your California home away from home. (Plus, I'll be sure to pass along your kind words to the rest of the staff. They'll be delighted to hear it.)

Fort Wright, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had an amazing ocean view room. The hotel was decent but we had to have the bathroom cleaned once we arrived as there was someone else's hair all over. It was nice to open the balcony door and hear the ocean. One thing that would have made it better would have been if the hotel air conditioning units were inside instead of outside. Our neighbor had theirs constantly running and it rattled. Therefore, we didn't want to sit and enjoy the ocean because of the noise. The bed was very comfortable and one of the best I've ever slept in!

Room Tip: Request and ocean view!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Therese7215
Bill T, Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm happy our beds are some of the best you've ever slept on! Our housekeeping team works diligently to ensure that all of our rooms are in tip-top shape so I'm sorry to hear there was an oversight. I am happy you brought it to our attention so we could have your bathroom cleaned in a timely manner.

I appreciate the feedback on what could've made your visit better. Air conditioning units can rattle while keeping our guests cool so I truly apologize if that took away from your stay with us. I'm glad you were able to keep the balcony doors open to enjoy the ocean even if you preferred to not sit outside. Please keep us in mind next time you want to visit Laguna Beach!

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at Pacific Edge in late July. We had a room on the ocean - which I highly recommend if you go. We loved the retro-surfer decor and charm. The staff was wonderful and attentive. We ate at the deck and enjoyed the experience. It was great to step out onto the sand without walking too far ... great for families, couples, friends.

Room Tip: By all means, elect to get a room with an ocean view! OMG. It is well worth it! I cannot recommend o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thanks for the encouraging words, Cindy. Giving our guests a pleasant, relaxing stay is our number one goal, and it sounds like we did just that. Looking forward to welcoming you back next time!