We are a busy couple but had one night to celebrate our 32d wedding anniversary. Our goal was to enjoy a one night weekend stay exploring the town of Laguna Beach. We decided that we wanted a place that was moderately priced, allowed us to park the car and walk to just about anywhere within the town. Some of the other hotels required a two-night stay so, after reading the reviews in TripAdvisor, we contacted the hotel directly and requested Room 115 which was recommended by an earlier reviewer. We expected assorted, disconnected buildings as well as some staff attitude.
We were pleasantly greeted when we checked in and were permitted to go to our room many hours before the scheduled check-in time. It took a few minutes to figure out where the room was located but we were rewarded with the best view of any hotel or, for that matter, any house located in Laguna Beach. The room was clean, had a kitchen with microwave oven, and a wide balcony with 180 degree views of the ocean and another 90 degree view of the town. The bed was comfy, comfy and the ocean sounds early in the morning were delightful.
The hotel is not fancy pantsy so if you are seeking a resort type experience you should probably go somewhere else. The complex looks like it was recently painted but had a little ways to go with elevators and stairwells. It is a non-smoking hotel with a stiff penalty for people who wish to flaunt the rule.
For us, it was perfect to make a martini and watch the surf from our balcony during "cocktail hour" rather than pay $20 per martini in the lobby of the Montage. We are not cheap but we are not stupid and we especially wanted to stroll (not drive) after cocktails to any of the vast assortment of nearby restaurants and galleries.
Overall, if you don't need room service and appreciate decompressing right in the center of Laguna Beach without hurting your wallet, then Room 115 is the place to be. We are sure that there are other equivalent rooms but we never checked them out.
On Sunday morning, while reading the real estate section of the newspaper, there was an ad for a $17,000,000 beach house with a picture of its view. We had to laugh because our view was better.
By the way, when we checked out, we received smiles from the staff. For us, there was no attitude, no hassles and no problems.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Imagine the cool ocean breeze brushing up against your cheek. Admire the views of the deep, blue, Pacific Ocean from the balconies overlooking the waves of one of our oceanfront rooms. Enjoy convenient sunning, surfing and swimming as the sand is just steps from your room. Pacific Edge Hotel is not only steps away from the sand of the California coast, but also steps away from everything that Laguna Beach has to offer. The hotel is within walking distance of both Laguna Village and the shops and galleries along the South Coast Highway. In addition to your holiday and vacation needs, we are known for being an ideal destination for groups, social events, and wedding. Our magnificent Villa offers a prime, one-of-kind event space, suitable for the most important and precious events. We look forward to you joining us for your next leisure or business stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Pacific Edge
- Pacific Edge Laguna Beach
- Vacation Village Laguna Beach