“It's Very Laguna Beach”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Santa Barbara, California
“It's Very Laguna Beach”
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I read the reviews on Trip Advisor before deciding to stay at the Pacific Edge last November. I decided to ignore all the negative comments and judge for myself. I'm so glad I did. My husband, daughter, dog and I enjoyed our stay so much, in fact, we are returning over the Thanksgiving weekend this year.
I have been visiting Laguna Beach for many years. I love the beachy funkiness, the surprise ocean views around so many corners, the tidepools, the outdoor restaurants, the surfers. Yes, there are some big expensive hotels with spas south of town, but Pacific Edge captures the essence of Laguna Beach.
It is funky, fun, retro and has a true beach vibe. It is right on the beach and right in the center of town. Because I love waking up and looking at the ocean, I choose to pay a little more for a partial ocean, instead of a village, view. Those rooms are quieter too. The staff is friendly, the rooms are comfortable, and you can walk everywhere. Your kids and dogs will love it too. What more do you want?
If you're looking for luxury, go to the Ritz or Montage. But if you want to stay in the real Laguna Beach, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view on top floor have good views and are quieter than village-view. Or you can pay mo...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank vicki2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Total state of disrepair, stained carpets, musty smell in rooms, paper thin walls, rust everywhere, room started to shake when other rooms opended/closed their doors . I will keep this short on arrival first room was totally unacceptable moved to 2nd room no better but as it was late had no choice but to take it as basicly this was the best they had to offer. I would like to point out this is their supposed best rooms facing ocean with balcony
(nothing like pictures, totally misselling). We where booked in for 5 days cancelled after first day but could not find a place in Lagunal to change to so unfortunately had to stay a second night. My husband and I sat outside on the balcony to look at the lovely view of the ocean the light above fell and just missed us, it was soo rusty. We checked out after day 2 and I am sorry but I would expect alot better for over $200 a night, I do not know how they get away with this, you could not give me it free for me to stay there again. After showing pictures to hotel managment of incident they did allow us to check out early and discounted one night by $100. The only area where some money has been spent is on The Deck bar/bistro. I have been going on holiday to Laguna for the last 20 years and still absolutely love the area so please do go to this beautiful place but avoid this rundown hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mds_guesthouse
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’m very sorry your recent stay was not more enjoyable. This is certainly not the experience we wish our guests to have. We are currently undergoing some exciting renovations that will address many of these concerns. We would love to have you visit us again so we can show you a better time, and a quality experience.

Utah
Reviewed September 26, 2011

We went in October last year and we did not stay because we were unhappy with our room. (it faced the highway) The staff was friendly and did not hassle us when we said we wanted to move to a different hotel. I had stayed here once before when it was Vacation Village and we had a larger room with a view of the ocean.

Room Tip: pay the extra for a room with a view of the ocean or stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. I apologize the location of your room was not more to your liking. If you prefer one of our beautiful oceanview rooms, we’re always more than happy to upgrade you. I hope you had a wonderful trip, and if you visit the area again, we would love to show you our amazing views and excellent amenities.

Provo, Utah
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We arrived as guests of a wedding party and given a very small room facing the street. The carpet had some small tears and was significantly stained. There were only two lights in the room and the small in-wall airconditioning unit required you to get on your knees to use the controls. The walls were also in need of painting. The bed, however, was comfortable. We asked to see another room with more space and hopefully in better condition. The next room also facing the street was a little larger but notably in the same condition. Again asking if there was any other option, we were told that they were all booked but did have a small two story cottage between the building facing the street and and the beachfront property. The carpet was not as badly stained but the decor/furniture were random collections probably from yard sales. Since we were committed to the wedding party, we took it. We picked up a brochure in the lobby and the three rooms we had seen were obsolutely not anything like those presented in the pictures! Reading about the experience of others, the reviewers talk about ocean-front views and we suspect that the street front property is probably very different from the separated ocean-front property which does appear to be newer from the outside. I would agree with the assesment of the motel staff made by others. They were attentive, engaging, tried to be helpful and "empathized" our disappointment without being able to do lot. We did take the opportunity to look at a room in the Holiday Inn just across the street for the same price -- incredible room improvement! In summary, I would be cautious in booking here to make sure you get a room as advertised on-line or in their brochure.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank uvsfrees
Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Laguna Beach. I hope you enjoyed your wedding – that’s very exciting! In regards to your room, I would like to apologize it wasn’t up to our usual standard. While our oceanview rooms offer amazing views, we make every effort possible to maintain every room just the same. We are currently working on some great new improvements to update many of our rooms. I hope you’ll be able to return and check out our exciting new changes!

Reviewed September 20, 2011

My mother and I were looking to be close to downtown Laguna Beach, while still being able to enjoy the beach. And we found a great deal online with Pacific Edge. From the moment we arrived, the front desk was incredibly helpful. We arrived at 11 am, FIVE hours before check-in, and the front desk not only made an effort to find us a room, but offered to call us when our room was ready. The hotel was a bit hard to traverse with it's pathways and stairs, and the valet wasn't helpful, but the coast was otherwise easily accessible with friendly staff helping you set up beach chairs and towels. I must mention that the beach was not at all the "private" beach that the website claims. It is especially traversed by locals on the weekends. However, it is still very pleasant, and perfect for families. We received a partial beach view room, which was above the lobby, but still offered a great view of the water and sunset. The rooms may be a little less than perfect as the carpet was stained, the walls thin, and the exterior clearly worn by the coastal weather. However, the beds were very comfortable. I have to mention, though, that I visited the lobby in search of the ice machine, and I was shocked when the front desk assistant actually escorted me to the ice machine. It was incredibly kind, and emphasizes that any cosmetic shortcomings of the hotel are compensated by excellent customer service. The bar has amazing, unique martinis, and the restaurant offers incredible breakfast varieties. And finally, the hotel is ideally located to experience all the beaches, bars, and restaurants of Laguna Beach. I would ABSOLUTELY stay here again. In fact, I look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Regardless of the your room view, every room is literally steps from the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank nnicoleee
Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and taking the time to write a review. I’m delighted you and your mother had a wonderful visit. We have a great team behind us, and I’ll be sure to share your feedback with them. I’m sorry if you noticed some imperfections with your room. Our maintenance crew works extremely hard at keeping the property updated. It’s great to hear you enjoyed our convenient location and great bar area. We hope you’ll come see us again and check out some of our other great amenities.

Los Angeles
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Sure, the elevator is a bit musty and rusty, but this is a beachfront hotel.
And the views from the King beachfront rooms are simply glorious!

We got a bloomspot deal and stayed on Sunday and Monday this past week, and couldn't have been happier. The room was clean, the bed very comfy, and the adirondack chairs facing the ocean from our balcony just sublime! There's a full fridge in the room--we didn't use it for the three days so we pulled out the plug to save energy (and because it was humming much too loudly).

I'm not sure what people expect when they write terrible reviews. I can't say anything bad about the staff--they were really nice and very helpful. The rooms are lovely--do you really spend your vacation looking at the hotel building? Yes, the parking is a bit exorbitant--I think $10/day would suffice--but we once paid $40/day for a hotel in SF so this was cheap in comparison!

The beachfront is very small, the surf was pretty big, so swimming wasn't so great. Besides, it is seaweed season, so there was a lot of it in the water. We walked a bit south where the beachfront was larger and the water a bit calmer. This was disappointing, but this isn't the sea folks--this is the Pacific ocean. Respect the ocean!

The pool is small but heated, with a heated spa. We enjoyed it after a day on the beach.

The room rate in our beachfront was posted at $500/night. We paid about $150/night with the bloomspot deal, which was fantastic. I'd do it again if it were offered, no hesitation.

We walked to a couple great restaurants--Nick's (go!)--and did a lot of nothing, which was nice.

Room Tip: Get the beachfront room.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for visiting us, and providing this feedback. I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the accommodations to your liking. Our focus is on offering wonderful service, exclusive amenities, and a laid-back atmosphere. We’re all about the experience here at Pacific Edge, and we always love to hear from our guests. If you get the chance to stay with us again, we hope to provide you with more great memories!

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is not the Ritz Carlton....it is a sprawling collection of several buildings, all rather old, operating as a single hotel. Pool small, but if you have little kids it might be fine, never ventured. We has a great room - plain, but comfy. Balcony hanging over the surf. Amazing sunsets, waking to surfers in the morning, beach just outside (towel and chair service was good). Orange Hut for breakfast nearby, great places to eat around and down in the town. A bit pricey if you do it on decor, but on views and beach access, it was great.

Room Tip: Go beachside.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank KansaTraveller
JP F, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you for sharing this feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed your accommodations, and beautiful views. We are fortunate to have such a wonderful location. I’m sorry if you found the pool to be smaller than you had hoped. We actually have two heated pools as well as Jacuzzi for your enjoyment. I appreciate your comments, and if there is anything we can do to make your next stay even better, I would love to hear your suggestions!